Pic of the week
oeyjay143

Out of practice...

8 posts in this topic

OK, so I'm out of practice.  I need some help.  I'm sure at times we've all been bad fish keepers, so I'd appreciate help instead of negative comments. My newest tank set up wasnt cycled at startup. At this point, my parameters are high In Amonia and low or no nitrites or nitrates.

My tank is been running for a few months.  No fish have died--aside from one snail. I started out using either a quick start or a safe start with bacteria, but obviously the tank never cycled.

At this point, I realize I may lose fish, but how should I best proceed? Should I worry about adding bacteria from bottles, or should I just start doing water changes? 

I guess what I'm confused about, is that the fish have been there for months now and there is no bacteria.  Does ammonia kill good bacteria off and prevent it from growing? I assume I just need to follow the cycling with fish instructions? 

Thanks,

Joey

The bacteria you want actually eat the ammonia.

What kind of filter are you using and what kind of media in that filter?

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Daniel E. said:

The bacteria you want actually eat the ammonia.

What kind of filter are you using and what kind of media in that filter?

I have a  marine land magna flow 360 canister filter. 

I redid my test tonight I must've done it wrong the other day.  My ammonia is 0, nitrites 0, and nitrates 80-160. Also, I have a ph of like 8.2. 

So I just need to clean everything right? Cut down the bacteria...

Also, pH is high Im guessing as I have well water. I battle a high ph in my hot tub all the time. What's the best chemical to lower pH?

Thanks,

Joey

It sounds like you have a good cycle. I would not do to heavy a cleaning unroll the take matures a litt. But normal maintenance should be fine. Do you water changes is the best way to pull down the nitrates. As far as oh that is a bit high but if it is stable your fish can adapt to it. Swinging ph is worse than high or low alone.
You could add something like driftwood that has a tendency to naturally lower ph but when you do a water change it will swing back up it your water is normally 8.2.

Have you tested you tap water?

I just tested my water. At the spigot outside(I have a softener inside) I have somewhere around 7.6 on the pH scale.

4 minutes ago, Daniel E. said:

It sounds like you have a good cycle. I would not do to heavy a cleaning unroll the take matures a litt. But normal maintenance should be fine. Do you water changes is the best way to pull down the nitrates. As far as oh that is a bit high but if it is stable your fish can adapt to it. Swinging ph is worse than high or low alone.
You could add something like driftwood that has a tendency to naturally lower ph but when you do a water change it will swing back up it your water is normally 8.2.

Have you tested you tap water?

I just tested my water. At the spigot outside(I have a softener inside) I have somewhere around 7.6 on the pH scale.

Interesting. Are they from different sources?

7.6 is great. You could do a kh and gh test but if you have issues with high ph sometimes I'd guess that you are good there.

I'd recomend doing some 50% changes and get the nitrates down as well as the on slowly so not to stress that fish. Then I'd do water changes as needed to keep your nitrates below 40ppm ideally.

I do not know the size of you fish or tank but the more, and larger the fish the faster the water will need to be changed to maintain good quality.

Please copy and paste or quote this post and put your answer after each question.  We really can't give you good advice without this information.  

• Test Results for the Following:
    • * Ammonia Level(Tank)
    • * Nitrite Level(Tank)
    • * Nitrate level(Tank)
    • * Ammonia Level(Tap)
    • * Nitrite Level(Tap)
    • * Nitrate level(Tap)
    • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
    • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
    • Other Required Info:
      • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?
      • * Water temperature?
      • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?
      • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)?
      • * How often do you change the water and how much?
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change?
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size?
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners?
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often?
  • * Any new fish added to the tank?
  • * Any medications added to the tank?
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank.Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?

If you can fill that out and we can help. Im going to move this to the Cycling area. :) 

@Daniel E. Great job in helping :thumbs: Keep it up :)