Pic of the week

Pic of the week poll #14
FishyMandy

I was so close!

19 posts in this topic

almost made it a whole year without buying any new goldfish :yikes

But I had a setback in my addiction :hide: 

4WUEjtO.jpg

I went on a day trip with two of my friends, while out we went to my favourite fish shop because we were nearby and I had to get some food and prime anyway. Rachael kept pointing at the different goldfish "ooh buy that one!" then Ray said "If you buy one I'll go halves with you" I had fallen in love with these guys last time I was there...six weeks ago. I couldn't decide between the two. So I got both. I blame the peer pressure :rofl

Anyway the White/Red Tosakin is named Rae, because Ray bought her for me and I'm pretty sure she's a girl so I thought i'd be nice and change it to a E.

The Mirrorscale Comet is named Sodapop according to Rachael....I'm calling him Pop or Poppy.

Getting these two means I need to rethink my stocking plans again lol. So I'm thinking I will keep 11 of my fry. Then this will be what I end up with

150g Pond - 5 of the Fry (they dont have names yet lol), Angel, Luka, Hamster, Papi, Rae
450g Pond - Albie, Sherlock, Arty, Raven, Picasso, Splasher, Pascal, Funky, Citrus, Captain, Scotty, Rusty, Spike, Poppy and 6 of the Fry
160g Tank - Neptune, Pinkie, Topaz, Opal, Spice, Jupiter, Seaking, Kolo, Buddy
80g Tank - Jasmine, Goldeen, Roo, Rhett

• Like 2

Congrats Mandy!!! They’re beautiful!!!

Congrats!! They’re lovely :wub:

Well I think I would have gotten them too. That first one the Orange one is impressive. Those scales look like they belong to a Koi :o 

Well I think I would have gotten them too. That first one the Orange one is impressive. Those scales look like they belong to a Koi  
They do. I wonder if it may have a hint of koi DNA in there somewhere ;)

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk

Thanks guys!

Here is a photo of Poppy (or Soda as I've started calling him lol) in the shop, you can also see the other mirrorscale they had. I chose him because I liked the long fins

1jc31he.jpg

• Like 2

Congratulations on your gorgeous Goldfish Mandy!!!!

Thanks Dawn!

You paid $40 for that comet? 

And those scales are very common in certain types of Koi. They definitely crossed some Koi in these fish. 

1 hour ago, mjfromga said:

And those scales are very common in certain types of Koi. They definitely crossed some Koi in these fish. 

Its so cool looking :) 

Yea I really love the scales

And yea 40 is quite common around here for fish of that size and especially with the mirror scales that aren't seen very often.

Koi are illegal in my state but I'm sure they probably do have some koi in them. I know my black comet, raven, does 

Edited by FishyMandy

Man. I have to LOVE a fancy to even pay that much. A regular goldfish? $40? Wow. I can't tell the size from here admittedly. The scales are definitely from mixing with Doitsu butterfly Koi. You can even see it in the fins. Bit different from standard Comet fins.

Maybe if big, smelly Asteroid gets all giant next year as I suspect she might, I can sell her for $40 XD. 

Checked the conversion... 18 cm is about 7 inches. So they're a little bigger than Asteroid? Not like giant? 

Edited by mjfromga

Yea, about that! like I said its common around here, we don't get really really cheap goldies here, even the cheapest 'feeders' I've seen are usually 10 for $15 and they are about an inch long then.  The 30cm comets are $80.

It's also with the scales not just their size, Mirrorscales aren't seen very often here, especially in my state since Koi aren't allowed. This is the first time I've seen them in person!

• Like 1

Koi people get a bunch of 29 cent feeder fish (Asteroid cost 29 cents lol) and chuck them in their Koi ponds. After they grow a nice bit over the year, they bring them to the auction and sell them for like $5 a piece at Asteroids size and maybe $10 for twice her size. They keep some to breed for years to come as well. 

People who don't wish to grow their fish out or can't seem to do so get big fish for a good price and the Koi people make a huge profit. Win/win. But yeah the regular ones are totally worthless here. Not so much where you live! 

Butterfly Koi, which are hated by most serious Koi keepers here are worthless too. They are not even called butterfly Koi, but referred to as merely LONGFINS because the true Koi keepers don't really want them associated with Koi lol. 

But I think your guy looks cool as can be. The scales are cool looking on a goldfish for sure. Those pectoral fins SCREAM Koi. Lol illegal or not, there are Koi somewhere around there. I hate to even ask what the Tosakin cost. I saw one at the show, too floaty though. Dude said it was just shipping stress and the floating wasn't AWFUL, but Judas looked much stronger with no floating so I went with him. 

Edited by mjfromga

12 hours ago, FishyMandy said:

Yea I really love the scales

And yea 40 is quite common around here for fish of that size and especially with the mirror scales that aren't seen very often.

Koi are illegal in my state but I'm sure they probably do have some koi in them. I know my black comet, raven, does 

So thats how Aussie gets the Koi looking fish. Breed them to look like them :o 

Haha yea. Koi are fine to own in other parts of Australia.  Just not here so probably need interstate and shipped here

• Haha 1

Found this when I was doing a WC on their tub today, a scale from Soda!
D2IPbY9.jpg

• Like 1

7 hours ago, FishyMandy said:

Found this when I was doing a WC on their tub today, a scale from Soda!
D2IPbY9.jpg

wow that is neat look at the different colors in that :o 

7 hours ago, FishyMandy said: