FishyMandy

Dragonfly Nymph?

8 posts in this topic

Is this a dragonfly nymph? Sorry I know its not a great photo. They give me the shivers :cold:

3bCVBba.jpg

I find them in my fry pond a lot...and I'm worried they are eating my fry. They are about the same length as the fry, some bigger and definitely wider. Sometimes I find them dead but other times they are alive and I pull my net out the water to have them crawling up it which freaks me out.

If they are dragonfly nymph any advice for getting rid of them?

Pretty much confirmed it's a dragonfly nymph. 

I have so much algae in the pond I can't see through the water more than a few cm, and there is a lot of algae 'scum' on the bottom too. I'm thinking of draining the pond as much as I can, scooping out all the algae and getting the babies out at same time and also scooping out any nymph I find, stripping the pond right down pretty much and then refilling and putting some shade cloth over the pond to stop any more getting in? 

Unless someone has a better idea on how to deal with it, I'm all ears

Yes, they will eat your fry.  You might want to bring the fry indoors for a while.  I think you will enjoy this discussion, which confirms my thought that you can treat with Dimilin or other treatment for fish lice or anchor worms without harming the fry.  

Thanks a bunch Sharon. Ill have to get a new tub to bring them in. Hopefully Ill still have some left by then!

I enjoyed the read! 

WOW never thought of those guys. I get the Dragon fly's all the time. In fact last summer I had two of them flying around my head chasing me :lol My neighbor has a empty pond (no fish). This explains why I see so many.

So if I have a pond out there I got Raccoons and Dragon flies :rofl 

Yes a dragonfly nymph . . . if you are interested . . . they are also fun to raise. 

11 hours ago, Acro said:

Yes a dragonfly nymph . . . if you are interested . . . they are also fun to raise. 

I love Dragonfly's just don't want them eating my fish once a I get a pond :rofl 

Me too! The big fish take care of them in their pond, guess thats why I never seen them before I put the fry out!

I caught as many fry as I could find yesterday and bought them in, i searched until back was screaming at me and I couldnt take it anymore, will look for more today after work amd drain pond