ClinicaTerraLTD

Just Lost Our Beloved "Marcus"...Gotta Start Over (Again)

61 posts in this topic

On ‎12‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 11:02 PM, mjfromga said:

All my fish are outside now as a tank began to annoy me and my fish collection began to grow too much. They're all fancies except one silly comet. They're definitely doing better out there. A few are beginning to get a bit big as well. Winter is kicking some serious BUTT this year but I've decided to leave them out and see who is still left come spring. Most of them should make it.

Why was the tank annoying you?

And not all fish grow big. Some are shrimp. When we start focusing on how big our fish are, I think we often lose perspective on how healthy they are. Gorging them with food and trying to grow them big really quickly doesn't seem like a good idea. Do we do that with our children? Our dogs? Nope!

Well, I'm not purporting that we should stuff them with overeating and such just to make them larger; I would never do that...I just wonder why I can never get any of them to grow to those massive sizes you see the fancies becoming, even with what I believe is a good maintenance and feeding routine. 

All that happens when you feed fancies a lot is they turn upside down and get obese. When they live outside, you don't have to feed as much. Jennie from Solid Gold said that 3.5 years is a "pretty good if we are being generous" lifespan for a fancy goldfish.

Jeez...so now the span is about three and a half years for a fancy? You make some good points about the "upside down" factor, though...

Let's just say that I hope I can do better than her idea of "pretty good" with my fish. I think that lifespan is short and if I can't do better than that with many of my fish, I will pull out of fancy goldfish and call myself a failure. These are descendants of Carp. 3.5 years? No way.

That's MY thinking, as well, fromga...

I like the look and challenge of fancies. Much more appealing to me than regular goldfish. But to each his own. Want tougher and easier to care for fish? Definitely get a regular goldfish. I got one this year and she's already outgrown EVERYONE else and is tough as nails.

Interesting.  

20 minutes ago, ClinicaTerraLTD said:
21 minutes ago, ClinicaTerraLTD said:

GH?

General hardness.

20 minutes ago, ClinicaTerraLTD said:

Frankly, unless the fish receive treatment that qualifies as abuse, quality of care has little to do with longevity.  Look up the life histories of goldfish that have set records for longevity.  Every one I have found spent at least it's first decade in a two gallon fish bowl, often with a friend.  After that, it moved to a 10 gallon tank with a filter.

That seems contrary to everything I have read -- most "tales" of this type tend to have goldfish being seriously stunted by being placed in bowls.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/weird-news/its-o-fish-al-fred-george-steal-6088073

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/meet-britains-oldest-goldfish---6072838

https://unrealfacts.com/oldest-goldfish-ever-tish-lived-43/

http://www.asahi.com/ajw/articles/AJ201706190005.html

If you observe the size of these ~40 year old goldfish, you will see that they all qualify as "stunted".  Stunting and longevity can both result from underfeeding in early life.  

The maintenance of it became too annoying. Too frequent and difficult. Also I couldn't keep that many fish in it. I wanted lots of fish. I will reserve my TRUE opinions on Solid Gold but I will just say that I don't keep my fish like she does and thus hopefully I don't have such short lifespans. Anyway, this is all a journey for me. Fun to learn as we gain experience. 

Edited by mjfromga

And as far as massive sizes, the imports that people like Jennie from Solid Gold have usually have different genetics. She got 6 month old fish that were already quite large so they grew quite huge. They are different from the tiny fish you find at local stores. Your fish probably can't grow that big. Other massive fish you see were like that when the owners bought them, such as Dandy Orandas imports.

And yet others are grown in areas that are better for their growth. A Thai man told me they grow much better in Thailand than in America regardless of what they do. Suspects something is different about perhaps the water or there's some other environmental factor. 

Then occassionally, you'll see a massive fish that just happened to get big. Other fish from the same batch might be way smaller. And very old fish are sometimes quite big, as well. 

This is Shembje. She's about a year old. There are a few bigger, some around the same size, but most are smaller. She will grow more next year but then it'll slow way down. I highly doubt she gets massive. I'm happy with this size. I won't try and force them to grow giant. Pointless. 

IMG_20171110_113401.jpg

All my fish that where big came from a Petsmart down in CA. There was one store that just had the big gins there. I bought one there that was fully grown and she only lived with me for about 2-3 years. It all depends on where they come from and personally I rather raise the babies into adults rather than buying the already full sized fish only to have they die on my a few years later.

My two fish I have now I bought when they where very very small and now already nice a big for there age. I will enjoy watching them grown in this nice pond like tank. I don't have a heater in there and I run it with a AC and a sponge filter. They seem to be doing better than all my other fish I have had. YEs one has two tumors on him and has had them since I got him. We shall see how he does but it doesn't bother him.

Seems tumors are becoming more of a thing. :o 

1 hour ago, ClinicaTerraLTD said:

Thank you, all, for your comments...and Happy New Year, everyone! 

Ditto :) 

This is why I don't have a heater in mine anymore. I think the heaters do mess them up, meaning making them have a higher metabolism and making them older faster. Cleaning filters I think is good as tank fish pollute the water faster than a ponds do. Just my thought on things. Also Fancy fish are  compacted and  I think they have more swim issues bing in tall tanks rather short tanks. I have noticed since my 40B  they seem a lot happier than in there 36 bow which was a tall tank.
Koko...my tanks are in a corner of my "barn" where i work during the day. I am usually in there working for about 10 hours a day. I live in Sidney British Columbia so we get very few freezing days (on averge about 10 days a year). I do run a heater for myself during the day but it is unheated at night. Because i was worried about them getting too cold i put in heaters. I try to keep them just under 70 degrees. I was freaking out that they would get too cold and die. Do you think i should keep heating them or should I take the heaters out?

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

11 minutes ago, vimandvigrrrpet said:

Koko...my tanks are in a corner of my "barn" where i work during the day. I am usually in there working for about 10 hours a day. I live in Sidney British Columbia so we get very few freezing days (on averge about 10 days a year). I do run a heater for myself during the day but it is unheated at night. Because i was worried about them getting too cold i put in heaters. I try to keep them just under 70 degrees. I was freaking out that they would get too cold and die. Do you think i should keep heating them or should I take the heaters out?

If it was me I would take it out once the temp of outside matches them. Then I would not have a heater in there anymore. I find that the goldfish do just fine with out the heater. I just adjust how much water I change in the winter time. I do smaller more frequent ones than larger ones in the spring and summer. The reason for this is the water out of my tap is close to freezing and I don't want to shock them with all the cold water. This has been working out great for me :)

If it was me I would take it out once the temp of outside matches them. Then I would not have a heater in there anymore. I find that the goldfish do just fine with out the heater. I just adjust how much water I change in the winter time. I do smaller more frequent ones than larger ones in the spring and summer. The reason for this is the water out of my tap is close to freezing and I don't want to shock them with all the cold water. This has been working out great for me

Awesome...i always felt that maybe i shouldnt be using them. So when it gets near freezing outside should i feed them less?

7 minutes ago, vimandvigrrrpet said:

Awesome...i always felt that maybe i shouldnt be using them. So when it gets near freezing outside should i feed them less?

yes you would. They will start to move a lot slower so that means they don't need so much food. Right now mine get feed 1-2 times a day and just a pinch. I also have moss balls and give them duckweed once a month or two months. That gives them plenty to nibble on :)