ClinicaTerraLTD

Just Lost Our Beloved "Marcus"...Gotta Start Over (Again)

61 posts in this topic

Sad to report that our beloved black and gold calico fantail, Marcus, passed away yesterday. For those of you who recall my ongoing year in/year out struggle with fancy goldies and my tanks (one of which cracked and flooded our home with the goldies in there at the time; was able to save them though before they succumbed to the dreaded "boil/cyst" disease), you'll remember that it ended up coming down to having this one fish in the current 60 gallon, whom we purchased as a fry pretty much and who grew to be a beautiful black and gold fantail calico, with gorgeous black-striped fork tails...

I resisted adding more goldies to this last setup because it seemed like every time we added new fish when one was doing well it would crash the tank and kill everyone. As such, Marcus was alone for the last five and a half to six years, and grew during that time while seeming to flourish and remain happy. I did everything I was supposed to do -- 50-percent water changes with Prime every week, good filtration (an Aqueon QuietFlow 55 and AquaClear 110 on this 60 gallon for a massive turnover rate), gently rinsing the filter media in used tank water when necessary, no overcrowding (Marcus was the only one in there), feeding good food (Omega One goldfish flakes -- I'll get to this) and occasionally frozen cooked peas for digestion, etc...

I just don't get what's going on with my tank setups...there HAS TO BE a common denominator here because ALL my goldfish end up perishing the same way: They develop huge cyst-like bulges on their bodies, sometimes with lumpy white edges that protrude from the rear fins, before lying still on the gravel and eventually being sucked up by the filter intakes. In this last case, with Marcus, it took about SIX YEARS for him to develop this "tumor" and perish, and that was with great tank maintenance, including gravel vacs from time to time (all water parameters were always ideal according to the API chemical kit). He was JUST beginning to show signs of serious growth when he got sick and passed, and this has happened before when I kept goldies...I don't know what to chalk this up to, and I'm worried about starting my 60 gallon up again with new fish (and a new aquascaping theme) because I feel like it's just going to happen all over again.

I know on this forum we once discussed the life expectancy for these store-bought goldies (in an "RIP" thread I began for the fish that perished before Marcus) and it was suggested to me by one member that all we can expect to get out of LFS-purchased fish -- even with perfect care -- is about three to five or so years. But I keep reading stories about people who have kept store-bought goldfish for like 12 to 20 years, and online resources say there should be no reason not to get this kind of lifespan out of them if care is taken. Marcus was purchased at a new Petco that opened around us (there are absolutely NO privately-owned specialty aquarium shops where I live, so we're forced to go to the chain stores or order online from a breeder, which I haven't attempted yet), and it seemed he survived much longer than any other goldie we bought at the other PetSmart we frequent -- our thinking was that perhaps the Petco, because it had JUST opened that week, was getting a very fresh shipment of fish stock, and we happened to luck out with Marcus. But now, he too has passed after developing these cyst-like bulges, albeit after six years, so I'm beginning to think it's something in my tap water (which is always treated with Prime during water changes), the food I'm feeding (perhaps the flakes aren't doing them any good and they have been gasping in air that eventually kills them when they eat...but if so, why would this take SIX YEARS to develop?), a temperature problem, too many bubbles in my tank (from two bubble bars fed from a Top Fin air pump) or God knows what else...

I am in a position to now break my tank down completely, being that Marcus is gone, and start over (drain all the water, clean out the filters and gravel, get new décor, etc.) but I feel like I'm just inviting another death sentence if I stock the tank with fancy goldfish again...can anyone lend any insight or opinion here?  

When your talking white spots are they like hard whit spots on the fins? Do you have photos of this? Im very interested in what is going on.

Most of the time when I had fish problems it was cause of something in the tank or me not taking care of the filters right. I have changed a lot of my set up this time. I have a fish that has tumors on him. He's had them since I got him. But white spots on tail fins and such could be a problem with maintenance or the water chem. :)

19 hours ago, koko said:

When your talking white spots are they like hard whit spots on the fins? Do you have photos of this? Im very interested in what is going on.

Most of the time when I had fish problems it was cause of something in the tank or me not taking care of the filters right. I have changed a lot of my set up this time. I have a fish that has tumors on him. He's had them since I got him. But white spots on tail fins and such could be a problem with maintenance or the water chem. :)

Unfortunately, Sharon, I don't have any pics to share. I was always under the assumption that our terrible hard tap water -- though running through a softener unit -- was the culprit, though I could never explain why it took so long for the fish to get ill. 

Oh, and they weren't hard white spots on the fins, such as ick symptoms; they were like puffy-ish white cysts near the back bottom of the body...then the fish eventually get a giant tumor IN the body.

Edited by ClinicaTerraLTD

On 12/8/2017 at 5:04 PM, ClinicaTerraLTD said:

I resisted adding more goldies to this last setup because it seemed like every time we added new fish when one was doing well it would crash the tank and kill everyone.

What was your quarantine procedure?

I just don't get what's going on with my tank setups...there HAS TO BE a common denominator here because ALL my goldfish end up perishing the same way: They develop huge cyst-like bulges on their bodies, sometimes with lumpy white edges that protrude from the rear fins, before lying still on the gravel and eventually being sucked up by the filter intakes.

What procedure did you use to sterilize the tank  and contents after losing these fish?

... gravel vacs from time to time

How deep was your gravel, and how frequently is from time to time?  Gravel holds huge amounts of crud and a large microbial population that feeds on the crud.  Some of the microbes may be opportunistic pathogens that may infect the fish.  Almost all of them use up oxygen, releasing carbon dioxide and other gases.  When it's two feet to the surface of the water, where gas exchange occurs,  the low oxygen and high CO2  at the bottom of the tank can be hard on the fish.

I'm worried about starting my 60 gallon up again with new fish (and a new aquascaping theme) because I feel like it's just going to happen all over again.

You should consider not using a substrate in the tank at least for a while.  Then if you must have one, use a thin layer of sand -- about 1/2 inch.  The fish will love this and keep it fairly clean with their foraging.  You can put plotted plants in the tank, but I would avoid ornaments including rocks.  You could also use the 60 gallon tank partially filled.  IMO, one or two fish in 30 gallons of water only a foot deep will do better than in a 2 foot deep 60 gallon.

I know on this forum we once discussed the life expectancy for these store-bought goldies and it was suggested to me by one member that all we can expect to get out of LFS-purchased fish -- even with perfect care -- is about three to five or so years. But I keep reading stories about people who have kept store-bought goldfish for like 12 to 20 years, and online resources say there should be no reason not to get this kind of lifespan out of them if care is taken.

Fancy goldfish in an aquarium do live on average 3-5 years, although with a very wide range.    It has little to do with where they were purchased.  Long-bodied goldfish -- commons, comets, and shubunkins -- may live 12 years or more, but few live past 10 years regardless of the care they get.  Virtually all of the goldfish with record-breaking longevity spent the first decade of life in a two gallon bowl with another fish.  

I'm beginning to think it's something in my tap water (which is always treated with Prime during water changes), the food I'm feeding (perhaps the flakes aren't doing them any good and they have been gasping in air that eventually kills them when they eat...but if so, why would this take SIX YEARS to develop?), a temperature problem, too many bubbles in my tank (from two bubble bars fed from a Top Fin air pump) or God knows what else...

Of all the many myths about fish care, the idea that the shape of the food can harm the fish must rank near the top of the stupidity list.  Look at the ingredient list of Omega One pellets and Omega One flakes.  Same ingredients, but the flakes have more protein.  I assume the extra protein helps when rolling out a thin layer to make flakes.

On ‎12‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 7:27 PM, shakaho said:

Hi Sharon (Meant to Say "Hi SHANNON" to the Previous Poster),

I will definitely have answers for you to the queries you had, but unfortunately I have even more distressing news that we must attend to first -- not only did we lose Marcus for the holidays, my wife's mother passed away yesterday.

So we need to be out of town for a few days; what a wonderful holiday season for us, huh?

I swear there's NO OTHER HUMAN IN THE WORLD that goes through the pain, anguish, loss and frustration that I do. I lost my dad a few years back, the last aquarium we set up (before this current Marineland) cracked and flooded our house, ruining several parts of it and we lost our beloved Black Lab a couple of years back, too. 

My wife lost her father, as well, and everyone seems to be disappearing right before our very eyes. With no children and no family left, we are truly all alone. God Bless you all during what is supposed to be a warm, festive time of year. :(

32 minutes ago, ClinicaTerraLTD said:

I swear there's NO OTHER HUMAN IN THE WORLD that goes through the pain, anguish, loss and frustration that I do. I lost my dad a few years back, the last aquarium we set up (before this current Marineland) cracked and flooded our house, ruining several parts of it and we lost our beloved Black Lab a couple of years back, too. 

My wife lost her father, as well, and everyone seems to be disappearing right before our very eyes. With no children and no family left, we are truly all alone. God Bless you all during what is supposed to be a warm, festive time of year. :(

Im so sorry to hear this. I my self have gone through some very rough times like this. Sometimes it seems it will never end, but there are I believe reasons for everything. As some one I love dearly tells me and it helps me a lot. " You can't enjoy the good times with out the bad too" So as bad is it might seem good times will come too and you cherish that time :) 

Nothing but bad times, though, Shannon...that's the thing. 

Thanks for your understanding. 

4 hours ago, ClinicaTerraLTD said:

Nothing but bad times, though, Shannon...that's the thing. 

Thanks for your understanding. 

Yup I went a few years like that. Im still trying to recover from my Mom just one day died. Talked to her a month before she was fine then I get a call and she was gone. Then my Grandfather died about 6 months later. So yeah it can seem like its always bad but there is good too. Just got to hold on :) 

13 hours ago, koko said:

Yup I went a few years like that. Im still trying to recover from my Mom just one day died. Talked to her a month before she was fine then I get a call and she was gone. Then my Grandfather died about 6 months later. So yeah it can seem like its always bad but there is good too. Just got to hold on :) 

I'm so sorry about your mom; thank you for your consoling words. :)

Indeed, that's what my wife is going through now -- she spoke to her mother, who was very sick nonetheless, on the phone (we live in different states) and didn't think her symptoms were THAT bad when she went into the hospital this past weekend...at the end of Saturday, she was told she had no chance by the doctors. It was shocking. 

She's not taking it well, at all, and neither am I, because it's bringing back painful memories of those I lost as well. We're flying out to New York tomorrow to take care of cremation services and finalize things with her mom's place.

15 minutes ago, ClinicaTerraLTD said:

I'm so sorry about your mom; thank you for your consoling words. :)

Indeed, that's what my wife is going through now -- she spoke to her mother, who was very sick nonetheless, on the phone (we live in different states) and didn't think her symptoms were THAT bad when she went into the hospital this past weekend...at the end of Saturday, she was told she had no chance by the doctors. It was shocking. 

She's not taking it well, at all, and neither am I, because it's bringing back painful memories of those I lost as well. We're flying out to New York tomorrow to take care of cremation services and finalize things with her mom's place.

Its never easy when we loose someone. I find it harder when some one passes away all of a sudden. I lost my brother when I was 8 years old, but I knew he was sick. But when my mom passed it was something that I never expected, in fact I thought my grandparents who are now 88 and 87 would pass before my mom. She was my best friend.

Time will mend the pain. Also remember you do have friends here :hug 

2 hours ago, koko said:

Its never easy when we loose someone. I find it harder when some one passes away all of a sudden. I lost my brother when I was 8 years old, but I knew he was sick. But when my mom passed it was something that I never expected, in fact I thought my grandparents who are now 88 and 87 would pass before my mom. She was my best friend.

Time will mend the pain. Also remember you do have friends here :hug 

OMG I'm so sorry to hear about your brother...it's so ironic because my wife's brother died when he was around eight or so, maybe younger...he had a TON of medical complications. Really sad. I totally know what you mean about when someone passes all of a sudden; through my life, I have been witness to family members -- mostly aunts, uncles and grandparents -- die (and I'm an only and adopted child) but for the most part they were pretty ill with different things (heart, kidney; my dad's family in particular always ended up on dialysis)...but there were times someone passed when it seemed like they were just talking to you a day or so before...so very very weird.

I'm so sorry to also hear about your mom; what happened? Did she experience any illness at all? 

Did you find it difficult to go on, even if you had someone like a spouse in your life? Are there any other siblings?

Thank you so much for the friendship hugs and the uplifting words; it's appreciated right now. :pease:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ClinicaTerraLTD said:

OMG I'm so sorry to hear about your brother...it's so ironic because my wife's brother died when he was around eight or so, maybe younger...he had a TON of medical complications. Really sad. I totally know what you mean about when someone passes all of a sudden; through my life, I have been witness to family members -- mostly aunts, uncles and grandparents -- die (and I'm an only and adopted child) but for the most part they were pretty ill with different things (heart, kidney; my dad's family in particular always ended up on dialysis)...but there were times someone passed when it seemed like they were just talking to you a day or so before...so very very weird.

Thats the hard part. There one day gone the next. :(

I'm so sorry to also hear about your mom; what happened? Did she experience any illness at all? 

She was very over weight, (almost 400 pounds). She had high blood pressure and when they found a blood clot in her leg they put her on blood thinners. She told me about the clot but she sounded like everything was under control ( She's had issues since my brother died) . Only to find out they had her on high blood pressure pills and blood thinners. Then a clot got to her lungs. From what my step father said she had complained of shortness of breath and passed out once. She went in and told her that her that everything is alright just her Diabiets 2. Then She told my step dad that she wasn't feeling well and passed out 4 hours latter she passed away. 

Did you find it difficult to go on, even if you had someone like a spouse in your life? Are there any other siblings?

I had a hard time dealing with it, but going no not at all. I know that there are plans for me and I just keep going. :) No Im the only one. And it wasn't a pretty picture after that in my life. My mom was the only one in my life (family) that was 100% there for me when I needed her :) Now I kinda have a whole there but I just fill it with happy times :) 

Thank you so much for the friendship hugs and the uplifting words; it's appreciated right now. :pease:

Thats what friends are for. :) Plus I know the pain and the feelings around this and thought to give you a shoulder :) 

I've dealt with painful recurring health issues this year. Kidney infections that wouldn't go away and then a horrible tooth issue. Need oral surgery to remove the tooth. It seemed so bad and I felt like it was way worse for me than anybody else, felt like it wasn't fair, but then I went to the hospital...

A homeless man had been bitten by multiple recluse spiders on his arms and legs, and had no way to pay for any treatment. They were wrapped in like makeshift bandages. He was standing outside the facility. Had no other place to sleep except on the ground. He showed me the bites. He asked me if they would help him. He said he needed pain meds. He needed antibiotics. I told him they would help him. They will help him, even if he can't pay. They won't just let him suffer. He wasn't sure. 

He gave me a small backstory. Lived with his girlfriend and her mother and they threw him out leaving him with nothing. Anyway, upon leaving to go inside, he told me he was very sorry for disturbing me and just wanted that information. He was a very nice and polite man. I had spent so much to be whining and complaining that I lost perspective. Things could always be a ton worse. It actually helped me to be hit with reality like that. 

I am not saying it will help everyone and that people going through things don't need sympathy, but for me I really stood up much straighter after that and realized my pain and suffering could be worse, and I was thankful. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, mjfromga said:

I've dealt with painful recurring health issues this year. Kidney infections that wouldn't go away and then a horrible tooth issue. Need oral surgery to remove the tooth. It seemed so bad and I felt like it was way worse for me than anybody else, felt like it wasn't fair, but then I went to the hospital...

A homeless man had been bitten by multiple recluse spiders on his arms and legs, and had no way to pay for any treatment. They were wrapped in like makeshift bandages. He was standing outside the facility. Had no other place to sleep except on the ground. He showed me the bites. He asked me if they would help him. He said he needed pain meds. He needed antibiotics. I told him they would help him. They will help him, even if he can't pay. They won't just let him suffer. He wasn't sure. 

He gave me a small backstory. Lived with his girlfriend and her mother and they threw him out leaving him with nothing. Anyway, upon leaving to go inside, he told me he was very sorry for disturbing me and just wanted that information. He was a very nice and polite man. I had spent so much to be whining and complaining that I lost perspective. Things could always be a ton worse. It actually helped me to be hit with reality like that. 

I am not saying it will help everyone and that people going through things don't need sympathy, but for me I really stood up much straighter after that and realized my pain and suffering could be worse, and I was thankful. 

Thank you MJ that was a great :) Just shows you sometimes when we think everything is going wrong for us, there are ppl out there in far worse things or conditions. :)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, koko said:

Thats the hard part. There one day gone the next. :([/quote]

Indeed; and I was sharing a similarity between how you lost your brother so young and how my wife did, as well (he was just a child). 

She was very over weight, (almost 400 pounds). She had high blood pressure and when they found a blood clot in her leg they put her on blood thinners. She told me about the clot but she sounded like everything was under control ( She's had issues since my brother died) . Only to find out they had her on high blood pressure pills and blood thinners. Then a clot got to her lungs. From what my step father said she had complained of shortness of breath and passed out once. She went in and told her that her that everything is alright just her Diabiets 2. Then She told my step dad that she wasn't feeling well and passed out 4 hours latter she passed away. [/quote]

OMG...horrible. I'm so sorry.

My dad passed about seven years ago, before my wife's dad did, due to complications that happened after he went in for heart surgery...I swear the hospital he was in made matters so much worse, but I can't prove it and he ended up getting renal failure (needed dialysis, like nearly all his siblings) before his body just gradually shut down. He was in ICU for a long period of time before my mom "called it quits" for him. 

OMG...I had a WHOLE reply typed out to you regarding the situation I'm in with my mom and the family and such, and something happened on the forum and I lost it all...!!!

Thank you for the friendship and shoulder...

Thats what friends are for.

:) Plus I know the pain and the feelings around this and thought to give you a shoulder :) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mjfromga said:

Yes, thank you for sharing that story; it really puts things into perspective...

Though I'm just so very filled with sorrow over Marcus and now my mom-in-law...

Feels like the world is crashing down around us. :(

1 hour ago, ClinicaTerraLTD said:

Yes, thank you for sharing that story; it really puts things into perspective...

Though I'm just so very filled with sorrow over Marcus and now my mom-in-law...

Feels like the world is crashing down around us. :(

I still feel like that some days. Its hard, but just remember you got each other too (you and your wife). You got to be strong for each other. :) 

On ‎12‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 6:57 PM, koko said:

I still feel like that some days. Its hard, but just remember you got each other too (you and your wife). You got to be strong for each other. :) 

Thank you very much, Shannon. :)

Okay, we're back from our little trip to take care of my wife's mom's personal stuff (after she passed), and I have begun the painstaking task of cleaning out our 60 gallon tank and starting over...so far, I have washed down everything -- from the filters to the gravel to the inside glass -- and returned the gravel to the tank, washed out with hot water the best I could. I kept the media for the AquaClear 110, the sponge and the ceramic bits, because they're not that old (the sponge I just bought before Marcus passed), but threw out the Aqueon cartridges so I can buy new ones. The filters have been washed down and out in scalding hot water as best as possible, getting crud out of the impellers and chambers and such, but some "damage" remains on them (horrible staining and scarring from our hard water here, even though we use a water softener) as well as on the tank glass in some parts. 

Yesterday, I spent backbreaking time scooping out the gravel and bringing it in bucketloads to the tub, where I attempted to wash it all thoroughly in hot water; I got it as clean-rinsing as possible, however I could not get EVERY little bit of gravel out of the bottom of the tank to be rinsed...is this okay? Will everything be alright if I add fresh water to the substrate when it's time to fill it back up, kind of "diluting" whatever's left in terms of crud in the gravel? It seemed impossible to get EVERY bit of gravel out...

Before I set up the tank again, I need to save up some money for a beautiful pirate ship centerpiece we want to purchase from PetSmart as well as for odds and ends such as LED bubble wands, new plastic tubing to run to the air pump, a background for the aquarium, new Aqueon media, etc. In the meantime, I'm trying to get the tank set up and prepared as best as possible so we can begin the aquascaping before I get everything up and running again with a bio cycle kickstart product (Seachem's STABILITY, which I've had success with) prior to adding new goldies. 

What concerns me is a statement someone made earlier in this thread about 60 gallon tall/deep tank not being "suitable" for fancy goldfish; I unfortunately cannot get rid of this Marineland 60 gallon aquarium right now, so I have to make this work; is it true that the dimensions of this tank could be what's been killing my fish over time? Is it really too deep in order for them to get sufficient surface gas exchange? 

3 hours ago, ClinicaTerraLTD said:

Okay, we're back from our little trip to take care of my wife's mom's personal stuff (after she passed), and I have begun the painstaking task of cleaning out our 60 gallon tank and starting over...so far, I have washed down everything -- from the filters to the gravel to the inside glass -- and returned the gravel to the tank, washed out with hot water the best I could. I kept the media for the AquaClear 110, the sponge and the ceramic bits, because they're not that old (the sponge I just bought before Marcus passed), but threw out the Aqueon cartridges so I can buy new ones. The filters have been washed down and out in scalding hot water as best as possible, getting crud out of the impellers and chambers and such, but some "damage" remains on them (horrible staining and scarring from our hard water here, even though we use a water softener) as well as on the tank glass in some parts. 

Yesterday, I spent backbreaking time scooping out the gravel and bringing it in bucketloads to the tub, where I attempted to wash it all thoroughly in hot water; I got it as clean-rinsing as possible, however I could not get EVERY little bit of gravel out of the bottom of the tank to be rinsed...is this okay? Will everything be alright if I add fresh water to the substrate when it's time to fill it back up, kind of "diluting" whatever's left in terms of crud in the gravel? It seemed impossible to get EVERY bit of gravel out...

Before I set up the tank again, I need to save up some money for a beautiful pirate ship centerpiece we want to purchase from PetSmart as well as for odds and ends such as LED bubble wands, new plastic tubing to run to the air pump, a background for the aquarium, new Aqueon media, etc. In the meantime, I'm trying to get the tank set up and prepared as best as possible so we can begin the aquascaping before I get everything up and running again with a bio cycle kickstart product (Seachem's STABILITY, which I've had success with) prior to adding new goldies. 

What concerns me is a statement someone made earlier in this thread about 60 gallon tall/deep tank not being "suitable" for fancy goldfish; I unfortunately cannot get rid of this Marineland 60 gallon aquarium right now, so I have to make this work; is it true that the dimensions of this tank could be what's been killing my fish over time? Is it really too deep in order for them to get sufficient surface gas exchange? 

Yes a 60 gallon tank isn't ideal for them. I think if you kept the tank bare or with just live plants and bubblers it may work. 

The main issue with the tall tanks is that, there is less surface area for oxygen exchange and since it is tall it takes more energy for the fish to go to the top of the tank. Kinda like you trying to dive to the bottom of the deep end of a pool. Its hard to do and hard on them. 

Yes a 60 gallon tank isn't ideal for them. I think if you kept the tank bare or with just live plants and bubblers it may work. 
The main issue with the tall tanks is that, there is less surface area for oxygen exchange and since it is tall it takes more energy for the fish to go to the top of the tank. Kinda like you trying to dive to the bottom of the deep end of a pool. Its hard to do and hard on them. 
One thing to note is that live plants do add O2 to the water during the day while in photosynthesis but at night they actually use some O2 and will lower the dissolve oxygen levels in the tank. The bubblers will compensate for that but I thought it might be good to mention.

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk

17 hours ago, koko said:

Is this why I have been losing them consistently with these "bloated body" symptoms they seem to exhibit just before they die? 

So if 60 gallon tanks aren't good for them, what is? Smaller, larger? 

34 minutes ago, ClinicaTerraLTD said:

Is this why I have been losing them consistently with these "bloated body" symptoms they seem to exhibit just before they die? 

It could be other things too, like water chemistry too. It could also just be where you get them too. :( 

So if 60 gallon tanks aren't good for them, what is? Smaller, larger? 

Tanks that are wider (longer) than they are tall are the best for them. There are a lot of different sizes out there. When I can I will try and look up some of the bigger sizes unless some one else knows now. :)

27 minutes ago, koko said:

It could be other things too, like water chemistry too. It could also just be where you get them too.

:(

Why has no one addressed these specific things with me in all the time I've asked about them here? I feel like I'm finally getting to some answers now...

When you say "water chemistry," what do you mean exactly -- the tank falling out of a cycle? Because once my tanks have cycled, they have ALWAYS remained spot on with parameters, and I do 50% water changes WEEKLY and religiously, ALWAYS using Prime as a conditioner...I don't understand why it would take six or so years under good conditions for a fish to suddenly swell up and die. 

As far as where I get them, this is something I have been debating too -- we purchased Marcus from a brand-new Petco near us (was open one day or so) and we thought that maybe we got "good stock" because the fish were all "fresh" for lack of a better term; all the other fish we ever purchased came from a local PetSmart (don't have ANY privately-owned aquarium shops near us) and they all died much quicker than Marcus (in other words, we had him the longest). 

Tanks that are wider (longer) than they are tall are the best for them. There are a lot of different sizes out there. When I can I will try and look up some of the bigger sizes unless some one else knows now.

:)

Unfortunately, I just have to make this tank work right now, so if you're saying it could possibly harm the fish, I may have no choice but to keep tropicals in here rather than goldies because I don't want to be cruel; I would appreciate you letting me know what bigger sizes would be better. Thank you.