Jump to content
gialeigh

New Canister Filter! I'm new to this. Help?

7 posts in this topic

Hi Guys!

I've finally been able to purchase my first canister filter! I'm super excited, and I'm hoping I got a good one. It's a SunSun 525GPH Canister Filter with 9-watt UV Sterilizer. (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MH37484/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 )

Let me tell you how intimidated I was when I opened that box...it was huge and so much more complicated than a HOB filter. Amazingly I got it together and working, despite the lack of clear instructions, and it seems to be working beautifully.

I have it in a 75 gallon tank right now. I completely forget how many GPH you need per fish. Do you guys know if this will be sufficient for 5 goldfish? I have one 5 inch common, one 4in shubunkin, one each 2-3in pearlscale, calico oranda, and panda oranda. I'm really hoping this filter will work for them.

Also, any tips on maintenance for this thing? I have never owned one so I'm learning all this from scratch. Any tips for keeping it working efficiently would be super helpful.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi, I have this same filter on my 60 Uk gallon tank!!...it does a fantastic job I clean it every 3 months,!!! some people will say clean it more often ..but it works for me!! :-) I clean the bio balls and ceramic pieces in a bucket of tank water and wash the sponges in tap water!! I usually change the floss for fresh each time!! you can buy huge rolls of it really cheap on flea bay!!

My filter has been running for over 2 years without a problem!.. I'm sure you will be happy with it!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, fingers said:

Hi, I have this same filter on my 60 Uk gallon tank!!...it does a fantastic job I clean it every 3 months,!!! some people will say clean it more often ..but it works for me!! :-) I clean the bio balls and ceramic pieces in a bucket of tank water and wash the sponges in tap water!! I usually change the floss for fresh each time!! you can buy huge rolls of it really cheap on flea bay!!

My filter has been running for over 2 years without a problem!.. I'm sure you will be happy with it!!

Awesome! Thanks for the reassurance! Honestly I'm scared to clean it. Once you unplug it, do you have to somehow drain it so it doesnt spill everywhere? How do you keep from making a mess while disconnecting it from your tank?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, gialeigh said:

Awesome! Thanks for the reassurance! Honestly I'm scared to clean it. Once you unplug it, do you have to somehow drain it so it doesnt spill everywhere? How do you keep from making a mess while disconnecting it from your tank?

Your welcome!! First unplug it!! lol then lift the plastic flap between where the pipes connect to the filter this will stop the water, then lift the pipe housing out, then you will have to carry it to a sink to clean!!........if you fill it with tank water when you refit it you won't have to prime it! just switch it back on and it should be fine!!!

I put a smear of petroleum jelly around the seal before I put the lid on!!....  I hope this helps.........it sounds more complicated than it is! Lol.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, fingers said:

Your welcome!! First unplug it!! lol then lift the plastic flap between where the pipes connect to the filter this will stop the water, then lift the pipe housing out, then you will have to carry it to a sink to clean!!........if you fill it with tank water when you refit it you won't have to prime it! just switch it back on and it should be fine!!!

I put a smear of petroleum jelly around the seal before I put the lid on!!....  I hope this helps.........it sounds more complicated than it is! Lol.

Actually this sounds easier than I thought. I forgot I could take the hoses off like that! I was thinking I'd have to unscrew the hoses. Duh! Thanks for the tips!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Check our guidelines for healthy goldfish for recommended stocking levels and filter flow rates.   The flow rate you need for a filter depends mainly on the volume of the tank, not the fish load.  If you have too many fish in the tank, increasing the filter "size" beyond that recommended will not help.

The fish load determines the water change schedule.  We find that if you have 20 gallons of water per fish and an adequate filter, a 50% weekly water change maintains good water quality.  To maintain the same water quality with 15 gallons per fish and the same filtration, you should change 75% of the water weekly or 50% twice a week.

Edited by shakaho
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love sun sun canister filters I have a 303b as the main filter on my 55 gallon planted but I clean it once a month because of the plants I keep coarse medium and fine sponge in the first basket or bottom and a bag of crushed coral that takes up half the 2nd tray and fill the rest with lava rock oh n I keep filter floss pad on top of the 1st tray and a pad under the media in the rest of the trays to keep my biological media from getting clogged up and this works for me really well but I run two other filters on my tank and it’s heavily planted I’m sure if I didn’t have so many plants then I wouldn’t have to clean it so much and might have the trays set up different. I think you picked out a great filter for your tank my only complaint with them is the return bar or trickle bar I changed it over to a spout it was really easy but I just wish they would have sent a longer bar, oh and another thing I really like about it is parts are cheap and easy to get I bought all new o-rings n gaskets and an impeller just in case I have a problem which I haven’t so good luck

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×