YesseGriffen

What is up with my Goldfish?

33 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, YesseGriffen said:

And how many drops? Or just the same amount?

You take 5ml of the water to be tested and follow instructions for the test.

So put 5mL in a cup? Idk how I am not getting this, it just seems like regular testing? I am so sorry I am not getting it I just wanna make sure I am not messing up and having to do this over and over.

Hi! I just wanna Jump in really fast. That aqueon filter you have does not have the correct gallons per hour for your tank. For your tank you would have wanted minimally the aqueon quietflow 30. Right now your filter is flowing at 125 gallons per hour which isn’t too bad for the one goldfish in that size tank, but 200 gallons per hour is more ideal for your tank size.

I think an issue is that you’re cleaning the biological too often. The blue plastic pieces are you biological media. You don’t really want to touch those unless they get clogged. Cleaning too much can cause a cycle bump. How often do you replace the carbon pads? How old is the one in the filter now? And how old is the pad in the front of the filter? That’s an ammonia remover pad right?

Edited by Mikey

The carbon pads I try not to replace, unless they fall apart. But two weeks ago I did change the carbon pad for some dumb reason and it probably started the cycle again :(. And I don't know how old the carbon pad is because I just took it out of another tank. The pad is about 6 months old as old as the tank. I don't know if it's an ammonia remover. 

6 hours ago, YesseGriffen said:

So put 5mL in a cup? Idk how I am not getting this, it just seems like regular testing? I am so sorry I am not getting it I just wanna make sure I am not messing up and having to do this over and over.

1. Draw a water from the tap to fill the cup.

2. Fill your test tube up to the line (5 ml) with water from the cup.

3.  Test the pH of the water in the test tube following the directions that come with the kit. Report your results.

4. Leave the  remaining water in the cup alone for 24 hours.

5.  Repeat steps 2 and 3.

Edited by shakaho

5 hours ago, Mikey said:

Hi! I just wanna Jump in really fast. That aqueon filter you have does not have the correct gallons per hour for your tank. For your tank you would have wanted minimally the aqueon quietflow 30. Right now your filter is flowing at 125 gallons per hour which isn’t too bad for the one goldfish in that size tank, but 200 gallons per hour is more ideal for your tank size.

I think an issue is that you’re cleaning the biological too often. The blue plastic pieces are you biological media. You don’t really want to touch those unless they get clogged. Cleaning too much can cause a cycle bump. How often do you replace the carbon pads? How old is the one in the filter now? And how old is the pad in the front of the filter? That’s an ammonia remover pad right?

Hi Mikey!  Welcome back.  We are trying to figure out the strange pH situation in this tank,  so let's not worry about the filter size right now.

2 hours ago, shakaho said:

Hi Mikey!  Welcome back.  We are trying to figure out the strange pH situation in this tank,  so let's not worry about the filter size right now.

Hi Sharon! How are you? :) 

okay! Sounds good! 

6 hours ago, Mikey said:

Hi Sharon! How are you? :) 

okay! Sounds good! 

I wanted to say though. Great call, I didn't even see the filter. Was focused on the PH. :)

:welcome back @Mikey

• Like 1