YesseGriffen

What is up with my Goldfish?

33 posts in this topic

So I have had this goldfish for about 6 months or so, some friend gave me the goldfish because he didn't want it and he kept it in a 4 gallon tank with really dirty water(Not trying to throw shade, he went on vacation a crap ton). When I got him he was fine and all, but now for like the past week and up to now still he is just sitting at the bottom. He seems like he wants to get up but then just stops like he has no more energy in him.

My water parameters look like this.

Ammonia - .25 Nitrate - 40ppm Nitrite - 0 Ph - 7.4. Tank size is 20 gallon, only plants I have in there is a narrow leaf anarcharis that is growing insanely,  I was thinking maybe since the plant is too big it is making it overcrowded and stressing him out? Btw he is the only fish in the tank. Something else I may have to add is that he is about 10 years old. And from what I am thinking since he was in a dirty crowded tank before mine it limited his longevity? I have tried giving him a epsom salt bath already like 2 days ago, thinking of doing another one maybe. 

And one more thing. He started to sit at the bottom like 2-3 weeks ago, in the middle of this I had noticed he had some fin rot or something that was tearing at his fins, I gave him a melafix treatment and he was good to go, he started to swim around and do his thing, then this week he has started to just sit at the bottom of the tank, no sign of anything too bad really.

I know this is  a lot I just wanna inform with as much as I can because I care about this little guy, can anyone help me out?

Hope he feels better.

4 hours ago, YesseGriffen said:

So I have had this goldfish for about 6 months or so, some friend gave me the goldfish because he didn't want it and he kept it in a 4 gallon tank with really dirty water(Not trying to throw shade, he went on vacation a crap ton). When I got him he was fine and all, but now for like the past week and up to now still he is just sitting at the bottom. He seems like he wants to get up but then just stops like he has no more energy in him.

My water parameters look like this.

Ammonia - .25 Nitrate - 40ppm Nitrite - 0 Ph - 7.4. Tank size is 20 gallon, only plants I have in there is a narrow leaf anarcharis that is growing insanely,  I was thinking maybe since the plant is too big it is making it overcrowded and stressing him out? Btw he is the only fish in the tank. Something else I may have to add is that he is about 10 years old. And from what I am thinking since he was in a dirty crowded tank before mine it limited his longevity? I have tried giving him a epsom salt bath already like 2 days ago, thinking of doing another one maybe. 

:hi and welcome.

Please don't use epsom salt, that works for dropsies :)

Could you get us some photos :please 

Also a tank shouldn't have ammonia in it if it all cycled. So lets take a closer look. If you can please fill out the forum I give ya :) 

4 hours ago, YesseGriffen said:

And one more thing. He started to sit at the bottom like 2-3 weeks ago, in the middle of this I had noticed he had some fin rot or something that was tearing at his fins, I gave him a melafix treatment and he was good to go, he started to swim around and do his thing, then this week he has started to just sit at the bottom of the tank, no sign of anything too bad really.

I know this is  a lot I just wanna inform with as much as I can because I care about this little guy, can anyone help me out?

Please copy & paste fill the following form and fill it out to the best of your ability when requesting help for Goldfish Problems: 

• Test Results for the Following:
    • * Ammonia Level(Tank)
    • * Nitrite Level(Tank)
    • * Nitrate level(Tank)
    • * Ammonia Level(Tap)
    • * Nitrite Level(Tap)
    • * Nitrate level(Tap)
    • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 
    • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
    • Other Required Info:
      • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?
      • * Water temperature?
      • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?
      • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)?
      • * How often do you change the water and how much?
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change?
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size?
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners?
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often?
  • * Any new fish added to the tank?
  • * Any medications added to the tank?
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank.Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?

Please fill out the form Koko provided.  If copy and paste doesn't work, just quote her post, delete everything but the form, and put your answers after each question.  We NEED this information to tell you how to help your fish recover.  

Please read our guidelines for healthy goldfish.

Living for 10 years in a "dirty" tank does not shorten the lifespan of a goldfish, although he probably has not grown to average size.  To survive that long in a too small tank with inadequate care indicates he has very good genetics.

Everything you have told us so far -- healthy for 6 months in your tank then sick, bottom sitting, fin deterioration, measurable ammonia, high nitrate, all point to a problem in water chemistry.  Please do not medicate.  You can easily fix water chemistry issues, and the fish usually recovers rapidly.  We just need all the info on the form to tell you how to fix the water chemistry.  In addition to testing the parameters of the tap water, please tell us if you have well or municipal water.

You would not believe how often people rescue goldfish from filthy conditions and put them into nice clean water only to see them get sick and die within weeks.

Edited by shakaho
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, koko said:

:hi and welcome.

Please don't use epsom salt, that works for dropsies :)

Could you get us some photos :please 

Also a tank shouldn't have ammonia in it if it all cycled. So lets take a closer look. If you can please fill out the forum I give ya :) 

Please copy & paste fill the following form and fill it out to the best of your ability when requesting help for Goldfish Problems: 

• Test Results for the Following:
    • * Ammonia Level(Tank) - .25
    • * Nitrite Level(Tank) - .0
    • * Nitrate level(Tank) - 40ppm
    • * Ammonia Level(Tap) - .50
    • * Nitrite Level(Tap)  - .25
    • * Nitrate level(Tap) -
    • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.4
    • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) - 7.6
    • Other Required Info:
      • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? - Api
      • * Water temperature? 69 f 
      • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? - 20 gallons for about 7 months
      • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? Aqueon quit filter 20 gal
      • * How often do you change the water and how much?
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much  did you change? - 2 days ago about 30% 
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size? 1 fish, 20 gallons
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? Prime
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? 
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? Nope
  • * Any medications added to the tank? Not right now
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank.Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. Melafix for one week and epsom salt bath for 18 minutes
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? He has Bloody streaks on his fins but he had that before I got him.
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? Staying at the bottom of the tank.

IMG_20171207_162024 (1).jpg

Just now, YesseGriffen said:

And forgot to put down, I change my water every 2 weeks about, but for this guy I'v been doing it more often.

Are you using the API drops or strips?  What is the nitrate level in the tap water?  Nitrate in tap water is fairly common.  Nitrite in tap water is rare.  Do you have municipal or well water?

Please start with the following:

For the next week, please change 5 gallons of water daily.  Please read ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH BEFORE each water change and report it.  After a week we can adjust the water change schedule.

Add the Prime dose for 20 gallons to the new water.  This will protect your fish from up to 1ppm ammonia/nitrite.  Also add 5 teaspoons of aquarium salt or other 100% NaCl to the new water.  The salt can make a sick fish more comfortable.

How often do you clean your filter and how do you clean it?  Ideally,  you clean it gently with each water change.  Remove the media and rinse off the crud in dechlorinated water.  The water you removed from the tank will work fine for this rinse.  Dump the dirty water from the filter, put the media back in and get it running.  Do not replace any filter medium unless it is falling apart.  

• Like 1

I am also using drops not the strips. And the nitrites are 0 for the tap water. The nitrates are 0 as well for the tap water.  I clean my filter media every water change, I dump the media and the bio-holders in the dirty water from the water change. One question, so would this aquarium salt be ok? I have never used aquarium salt so I want to know if this one would be fine too use. 1f789e66-f8cd-473f-b9a6-b5aea1f32d2c_1.c

Edited by YesseGriffen
To add in picture

Yes, you can use that salt.

If you guys want an update on it here are the first 3 water changes.

Water change 1: Didn't record data

Water change 2:

Ammonia - .50

Nitrites - 0

Nitrates - 30ppm

PH - 6.4

Water change 3:

Ammonia - .25

Nitrites - 0

Nitrates - 10ppm

PH - 6.0

We need to work on that ph. Its going down and thats not good.

I would like you to get a jug and test the ph, then let it sit for 24 hours and test it again. We need to see what is doing. :) 

Previously, you reported:

• * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.4
  • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) - 7.6

Now you report tank pH of 6.4 one day and 6.0 the next.  This looks pretty strange.

Please test your tap water again and report.   Then store the water and test again as Koko advised.

Edited by shakaho
typo
  • Like 1

Well, I tested the water for #4 and the results are -

Ammonia - .25

Nitrites - 0

Nitrates - 10ppm

PH - 6.4

And the PH for the tap water is 7.6 and was still 7.6 after 24 hours but looked a little bit lighter not enough for it to change. I have heard of putting in baking soda in the tank can increase the PH, well putting it into the new water and letting it dissolve. Should I? 

Water tested for #5 is -

Ammonia - .50 (Idk if I messed up on the testing or what I am confused on why it is this high :/)

Nitrites - 0

Nitrates - 10ppm

PH -6.4

You got a tap water pH reading of 7.6, the highest possible reading using the pH test.  That means the pH of the tap water is 7.6 or higher.   So you also have to use the high range test to get the actual pH.

Are you testing the tank water before or after the water change?  Next time would you please test the tank water both before and after the water change.   I'm still baffled at your original reading of the tank water at 7.4, and subsequent readings of 6.4.  

You can raise the pH of the tank by adding baking soda, but I don't recommend that at this time.  A pH of 6.4, while not ideal, will not harm the fish if it remains stable.  Ammonia, however will hurt them.  At the pH you currently have in the tank, all of the ammonia in the tank will be in the safer form of ammonium.  If you raise the pH to 7.5, most of the ammonia will will be in the toxic form.  

One more thing. Can you post a photo of the whole tank? 

Do you have ornaments or logs in the tank? 

On December 11, 2017 at 3:22 PM, koko said:

We need to work on that ph. Its going down and thats not good.

I would like you to get a jug and test the ph, then let it sit for 24 hours and test it again. We need to see what is doing. :) 

I really need you to do a jug test. This isn't tank water its the tap water. We need to see if its adjusting by its self or if there is something in the tank changing the ph.

Ph going down in a tank or pond can burn the fish. Ph should stay stable or slowly rise up not down. :( 

Could you explain the jug test to me? Idk I'm not getting it. So I get water from the tap and the tank and test both of them and wait 24 hours and test it again?

No I have no logs in the tank, just some lice rock and anarchist.20170716_135702.thumb.jpg.2f3c053f2b23e219bca5a264771a23a2.jpg

Edited by YesseGriffen
typo

Just take some tap water, test the pH, and let it sit for a day and test the pH again.

We are trying to figure out why you have such a low pH in your tank but not in the tap water.  One possibility is that your tap water has a low KH causing the pH to drop when you store it.

• Like 1

Last water change from this week

Ammonia - .25

Nitrites - 0

Nitrates - 10ppm

PH - 6.6 

Idk if this is why but maybe since I'v done the water changes it's been lowering? Just a thought. 

And I am testing the water before each water change.

I'll fill up my test tube again and test it.

Edited by YesseGriffen

It would be wise to test KH at this point. I am neigh certain it isn't where it should be. 

Next water change will you please check the pH of both the tank and the tap water before the water change and also the pH of the tank water after the water change.  

Please take  samples of your tank and tap water to your fish/pet store and ask them to test the KH.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, YesseGriffen said:

Last water change from this week

Ammonia - .25

Nitrites - 0

Nitrates - 10ppm

PH - 6.6 

Idk if this is why but maybe since I'v done the water changes it's been lowering? Just a thought. 

And I am testing the water before each water change.

I'll fill up my test tube again and test it.

What we really need is a Jug of water from your tap, fill that jug with Tap water. 

Then test it right away. Now let that jug of water sit out for 24 hours then test it again.

This is important as we need to figure out why its going down.

Not the tank Tap water in a Jug. :) 

Ya, I am currently doing that. I am using the tube the PH test comes with though, because if I use a jug I don't know how much I should put in?

Edited by YesseGriffen
typo

Put it in a cup, a 5 gallon bucket, or anything in between.  As long as the container is clean, the volume isn't important, but a test tube is too small.

OK so I did a water change and here is what it was like

I tested the PH of the tap and tank and the ammonia of the tank before the water change

- PH tap - 7.6

- PH tank - 7.0

- Ammonia tank - .50 :(

So I did a lot in this water change

- I replaced my media in the 20. I replaced the media about 2 weeks ago (Really dumb of me) Because I thought there was a problem in it.... So today I replaced it with media in 55 gallon tank (My 55 gallon is going really well and the media in it is full of good bacteria :D) So I did that, because the 20 gallon has one media slot and the 55 gallon has 2 so it was perfect.IMG_20171216_190554.thumb.jpg.08b43543bc247b627f560a614912e6e6.jpg

- I also removed about half or 1/3 of the anacharis in the tank and one rock. I managed to get rid of some dead plant matter is looked like.

- Did about a 40% or so water change.

Then I tested the PH after the water change of the tank.

- PH of the tank - 7.6 :) 

I had a good feeling about this and I still do, I hope this works.

IMG_20171216_191936.jpg

IMG_20171216_190604.jpg