dubbergirl

Marineland Heartland 60 gal combo set

23 posts in this topic

So,

I have scoped out 2 Petsmarts, and the one closest to me (less than 5 minutes and the least crazy for any attempts at Black Friday shopping, has 3 of these combo sets that will be available starting at midnight this Thurs.  You purchase and pick store pick up.  Does anyone have this set?  Do you like it?  Issues?  I need a bigger tank for my fantail and oranda, and thought about putting another 1 or 2 goldfish in with them.  The LFS is having a half off sale of all fish from Fri-Mon, so I was going to take a peek there.  Thought they could go in the 60 gallon for awhile to make sure they don't have any parasites or diseases and then I could add my other 2 fish back in.  We have the tiny telescope, so was going to get another smaller fish (he is so tiny compared to the other 2) to keep that one company.  Fingers crossed I can score one!

I always get discouraged when someone gets a 60 gallon tank.  Goldfish do best in shallow tanks with a large surface/swimming area.  The tall 60 gallon tanks  with a small surface area relative to their volume don't work that well for fancy goldfish, and so often people with 60 gallon tanks who follow all the "rules" seem to have more sickly fish than they should have.

Our guideline of 20 gallons per goldfish works pretty well for tanks between 12 and 16 inches tall.  IMO, for containers under one foot or taller than 16 inches, 2 square feet of surface area per goldfish makes a better guideline.  By that guideline, the 60 gallon tank should have 2 goldfish, but 24 inches is deeper than ideal for fancy goldfish.  You might note that we always encourage someone with floaty goldfish to move the fish to a very shallow container.

On ‎11‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 3:25 PM, dubbergirl said:

So,

I have scoped out 2 Petsmarts, and the one closest to me (less than 5 minutes and the least crazy for any attempts at Black Friday shopping, has 3 of these combo sets that will be available starting at midnight this Thurs.  You purchase and pick store pick up.  Does anyone have this set?  Do you like it?  Issues?  I need a bigger tank for my fantail and oranda, and thought about putting another 1 or 2 goldfish in with them.  The LFS is having a half off sale of all fish from Fri-Mon, so I was going to take a peek there.  Thought they could go in the 60 gallon for awhile to make sure they don't have any parasites or diseases and then I could add my other 2 fish back in.  We have the tiny telescope, so was going to get another smaller fish (he is so tiny compared to the other 2) to keep that one company.  Fingers crossed I can score one!

Hi Dubbergirl,

I have that exact Marineland 60 gallon package, with the stand, fluorescent hood and all...to be honest, if I could sell it and get a "normal sized" 75 gallon or something, I would...this tank is SO tall, it makes it IMPOSSIBLE to clean and decorate...I have to stand on a chair to really get to the bottom of it. The "show tank" characteristics of the large viewing area in front and such are nice, but the tank itself just isn't convenient to maintain, AT ALL. It sure is a great deal though, and why we bought it after our previous 60 gallon cracked and flooded our entire home (don't ask)....I just can't stand having to do anything with it, LOL.

Ironically, I just lost my one goldfish we had in there yesterday and need to tear this Marineland down and start over....

On ‎11‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 8:29 AM, shakaho said:

I always get discouraged when someone gets a 60 gallon tank.  Goldfish do best in shallow tanks with a large surface/swimming area.  The tall 60 gallon tanks  with a small surface area relative to their volume don't work that well for fancy goldfish, and so often people with 60 gallon tanks who follow all the "rules" seem to have more sickly fish than they should have.

Our guideline of 20 gallons per goldfish works pretty well for tanks between 12 and 16 inches tall.  IMO, for containers under one foot or taller than 16 inches, 2 square feet of surface area per goldfish makes a better guideline.  By that guideline, the 60 gallon tank should have 2 goldfish, but 24 inches is deeper than ideal for fancy goldfish.  You might note that we always encourage someone with floaty goldfish to move the fish to a very shallow container.

Hi Sharon,

May I ask why you get "discouraged" when someone mentions they're getting a 60 gallon? I ask because that's what I have, and what I have kept goldies in (albeit with not that much luck long-term wise); I'm very interested in your feelings about this, because you mentioned the "small surface area relative to their volume" and that often people with 60 gallon tanks will find themselves with more sickly fish...

I'm beginning to wonder if that's been my problem all this time (why I keep losing goldfish), though I can't truly wrap my head around the possibility that a 60 gallon aquarium is what's "killing them"...

Shouldn't this be in tank's an equipment?

1 hour ago, ClinicaTerraLTD said:

Hi Sharon,

May I ask why you get "discouraged" when someone mentions they're getting a 60 gallon? I ask because that's what I have, and what I have kept goldies in (albeit with not that much luck long-term wise); I'm very interested in your feelings about this, because you mentioned the "small surface area relative to their volume" and that often people with 60 gallon tanks will find themselves with more sickly fish...

I'm beginning to wonder if that's been my problem all this time (why I keep losing goldfish), though I can't truly wrap my head around the possibility that a 60 gallon aquarium is what's "killing them"...

Well I can help a little on this.

I had for many years a 55 gallon tank. Now I have the 40B tank.

I can say that the 55 gallon tanks are tall meaning the fish need more effort to go from the top to the bottom of the tank. Goldfish like to swim in more shallower tanks. The 40B is perfect for this. I have it now and I notice my fish are much more happier than if I had a tall tank. Plus there is more surface room in the 40B as it is much wider than the other tanks. :) 

• Like 1

I just want to say I have two tanks, One is 24x24x72, I love this tank with the way it looks, but I hate the depth, my fish don't fill the whole depth anyway, It's a pain to clean and mantain and I've had a few fish get floaty and not cope too well in it.

I also have a 18x18x60. I really like this tank, it's a lot easier to mantain and all the fish seem to do a lot better in it, the ones that got floaty or struggled to swim in the big tank generally do better in here. 

Id love to have a tank thats 24x18x96, but that's something I don't think I could ever convince my family of :rofl

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, FishyMandy said:

Id love to have a tank thats 24x18x96, but that's something I don't think I could ever convince my family of :rofl

How man Gallons is that? 

2 minutes ago, koko said:

How man Gallons is that? 

Alot!!! :teehee

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, DawnMichele said:

Alot!!! :teehee

:pan

1 hour ago, koko said:

:pan

That hurt's!!!! LOL!!!

• Haha 1

Well, I have the 60 gallon tank set up and running, and I love it!  I have happy fish, who love sifting through the sand bottom.  I would love to have gotten the 75 gallon (or bigger) tank, but our house is too small.  Thank you for your input.

1 minute ago, dubbergirl said:

Well, I have the 60 gallon tank set up and running, and I love it!  I have happy fish, who love sifting through the sand bottom.  I would love to have gotten the 75 gallon (or bigger) tank, but our house is too small.  Thank you for your input.

Glad your enjoying your tank!!!  :thumbup2:

3 hours ago, koko said:

How man Gallons is that? 

1 hour ago, dubbergirl said:

I'm glad you are enjoying it and the fish are doing well!

12 hours ago, FishyMandy said:

I'm glad you are enjoying it and the fish are doing well!

Well Ill take that tank 180 Gallons and the low profile WOOT! :panana 

17 hours ago, dubbergirl said:

Can you post some pictures?

I wanted to come back with an update.  The 60 gal started leaking in one corner and I only noticed it when the stand started to split on the top edge.  I broke it down, took it back, traded for another one and set it back up.  5 hours worth of work, to discover the silicone is not right on this one either (there are white lines between the glass and silicone on both sides in the front, and obviously I can't see what the back looks like.  So, I got in touch with Marineland and sent them pics, and they said it was definitely defective.  Marineland just send me my refund check, and the manager at PS is so ticked, that she told me I could return the replacement combo and she would refund my money there as well so I could get another tank (they don't stock but one 75 gal at a time and she wasn't sure if they would get anymore, since they are a smaller store).  SO....with the extra money, because I could not afford this all on my own right now (and the PS manager doesn't want the one I have to start leaking), I went to my LFS and bought an Aqueon tank and stand (I really wanted solid wood to start with).  I'm upgrading to a 90 and should have it up and running this week.  Hubby knows I upgraded, but I haven't told him to how big yet.  Figured best to get it set up first and ask for forgiveness later......

7 hours ago, dubbergirl said:

I wanted to come back with an update.  The 60 gal started leaking in one corner and I only noticed it when the stand started to split on the top edge.  I broke it down, took it back, traded for another one and set it back up.  5 hours worth of work, to discover the silicone is not right on this one either (there are white lines between the glass and silicone on both sides in the front, and obviously I can't see what the back looks like.  So, I got in touch with Marineland and sent them pics, and they said it was definitely defective.  Marineland just send me my refund check, and the manager at PS is so ticked, that she told me I could return the replacement combo and she would refund my money there as well so I could get another tank (they don't stock but one 75 gal at a time and she wasn't sure if they would get anymore, since they are a smaller store).  SO....with the extra money, because I could not afford this all on my own right now (and the PS manager doesn't want the one I have to start leaking), I went to my LFS and bought an Aqueon tank and stand (I really wanted solid wood to start with).  I'm upgrading to a 90 and should have it up and running this week.  Hubby knows I upgraded, but I haven't told him to how big yet.  Figured best to get it set up first and ask for forgiveness later......

Wow, that's too bad about your tank -- we went through this a few years ago when a previous 60 gallon cracked along the back, leaked and destroyed almost our entire house (the downstairs living room needed to be renovated because the water poured through the ceiling). It was a certifiable NIGHTMARE. So I understand what you went through.

To my eyes, this Heartland Ensemble looked really well put together and the glass of the aquarium looks nice and thick; as it stands, my Heartland tank isn't set up right now because after losing our black and gold Calico, Marcus, I stripped the tank to clean out all filter media, gravel, etc. and never set it back up (money is ridiculously tight right now, and I can't afford the pirate shipwreck centerpiece ornament I want from PetSmart). 

I don't know how I ended up with 2 defective ones in a row, but somehow I did.   The only downside to upgrading is that my Aqua Clear 70's won't fit properly on the back (and I just bought them in Nov).  I do have  friend who has 2 AQ 110's she's wanting to sell because she's not using them, and she said I could have them both for $25.  She moved to a canister filter and loves it.  I might consider that later after I have some time to save up some more moolah...lol!

8 hours ago, dubbergirl said:

I don't know how I ended up with 2 defective ones in a row, but somehow I did.   The only downside to upgrading is that my Aqua Clear 70's won't fit properly on the back (and I just bought them in Nov).  I do have  friend who has 2 AQ 110's she's wanting to sell because she's not using them, and she said I could have them both for $25.  She moved to a canister filter and loves it.  I might consider that later after I have some time to save up some more moolah...lol!

Yeah I had bad luck with those myself. Since I have had so much problems with those I only use the Aquaclears :) 

1 hour ago, koko said:

Yeah I had bad luck with those myself. Since I have had so much problems with those I only use the Aquaclears :) 

You had bad luck with the Marineland tanks, Koko? What happened?

The one I have appears to be very well put together with thick glass...

1 minute ago, ClinicaTerraLTD said:

You had bad luck with the Marineland tanks, Koko? What happened?

The one I have appears to be very well put together with thick glass...

One was a 30 gallon tank and the seal broke on it. the other one I had was the build in filter and that filter was just poorly built. As for the filters them selfs I have had nothing but problems with them. The intake will fall off, and also the noise level was very loud for me. I found that AC filters are quiter and much easier to clean out. :twocents 

My friend sold me her two AQ 110's for $25. She showed me the canister filter she is running, and she found it on E-bay for under $60 with free shipping (she bought 2).  Thinking about getting one of those too.