Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
xStatic

QT Tanks has ich

My QT tank with all my new fish has ich. I am familiar with how to treat ich with heat and salt, but the tank not only my two new goldfish, but also some dojo loaches and a baby bristlenose pleco, so I wanted to check here and ask if anyone can advise me on using salt with dojo loaches and the baby BN? Is it just the same treatment as it would be for a tank with only goldfish? Thanks!

I did a quick Google search on this.  The dojo loaches seem to do best with simply a temperature increase to 30C/86F.  This temperature kills the parasite regardless of the kind of fish you have.  You can do the same with bristlenose plecos.  From what I've read, both species can handle salt for the short period of time required for ich treatment.

Do remember that the warmer the water, the less oxygen it holds.   Increase aeration and or get a shallow container like this or this. With a small filter to circulate the water you can maintain  a good oxygen concentration even at high temperatures.

Thank you very much for the help! I already put a large airstone in with the fish. I'll try treatment with high temperature alone first and add the salt later if needed.