gialeigh

New(ish) here! Want to share my babies with you!

13 posts in this topic

Hey guys! I posted recently that I'm back on this site after a very long hiatus. The last time I posted here (aside from this past week) was in 2007! Woo! I originally joined in 2005, and I love that this amazing site is still going strong.

Anyways, I wanted to share my babies. I visited a pet store a couple days ago and she had pearscales and pandas and I about lost my mind. I have been trying to find a pearlscale in my area for 5 years.

The first photo is my lovey teeny tiny pearlscale, followed by an equally tiny panda, a calico oranda, a scruffy looking and rather large feeder goldfish and my my pretty female shubunkin (she just laid eggs last week!), and last but not least...my lovely Fishzilla, may be rest in peace. He was an 11 inch "feeder" goldfish, and such a pretty thing. Hurricane Irma left us without power for 8 days. I was staying an hour away at my mothers home (who had power), and would return every other day to replace the tank water...but it wasn't enough to keep him alive without a filter.  :'(

Fishzilla is pictured in my 40 gallon tank, but all the other goldfish are now in my new 75 gallon tank. I have an awesome canister filter on it's way from amazon. Woohoo! Once I move into my home next month, a pond will be amounst the first improvements to the property, and shubunkin, my two koi, and my orange common goldfish will all have an amazing new home...while my fancy babies will stay indoors for my viewing pleasure. lol.

PhotoGrid_1511207420263.jpg

PhotoGrid_1511206335906.jpg

PhotoGrid_1511206821276.jpg

PhotoGrid_1511206629278.jpg

23472090_1726184110726622_243826865538901661_n.jpg

Edited by gia_ekdahl

Aaand I found some more I wanted to share.  :)  This is my new 75 gallon. Petco had a sale on it for only $89 (it was 50% off). I snagged it.

20171119_155929 (1).jpg

20171119_160115.jpg

20171119_160108.jpg

20171118_212417.jpg

Also, if anyone has any feedback on why my common goldfish has a few clear/white scales...I'd be interested to hear your thoughts. I have not have any problems with water quality at all, but about 4 months ago the light on his tank broke and at the time I could not afford a new one. I have since ordered two lovely full spectrum plant grow lights. I'm wondering if you think it could just be because he was in the dark for a few months (aside from a little window light) or if it could be something else. He definitely has scales there...they aren't missing. They are just a clearish or whiteish color.  :/

When goldfish lose scales, they often grow back clear.  

Nice score on the 75 gallon! Nice fish as well. I have a little Panda that I've had for a month it looks like it could be related to yours! 

IMG_2226.jpg

IMG_2228.jpg

13 hours ago, shakaho said:

When goldfish lose scales, they often grow back clear.  

Interesting...I never noticed any loss of scales at all though. Perhaps it happened before I got him? We'll see if the lights help, I suppose.

1 hour ago, gialeigh said:

Interesting...I never noticed any loss of scales at all though. Perhaps it happened before I got him? We'll see if the lights help, I suppose.

It looks like he got him self stuck on something. Its almost like a patter of scales that fell off. Almost like he got stuck behind a heater or filter intake. Scales do grow back like our hair does. But it can come back in a different color. Like Sharon said :) 

Just now, koko said:

It looks like he got him self stuck on something. Its almost like a patter of scales that fell off. Almost like he got stuck behind a heater or filter intake. Scales do grow back like our hair does. But it can come back in a different color. Like Sharon said :) 

Maybe...he was a feeder fish in a crowded and disgusting tank when I got him. No telling what happened to him there. I really dont think it happened while I've had him because I've never noticed any missing scales. Who knows though. Thanks for the input!  :)

6 hours ago, gialeigh said:

Maybe...he was a feeder fish in a crowded and disgusting tank when I got him. No telling what happened to him there. I really dont think it happened while I've had him because I've never noticed any missing scales. Who knows though. Thanks for the input!  :)

Have you QTed them all ? or Prazi? 

They are all stunning! Nice deal on the tank too!

On 11/21/2017 at 6:23 PM, koko said:

Have you QTed them all ? or Prazi? 

I've had the common goldfish and shubunkin before all the others, and I've had them for almost a year. They have always been healthy, but when I first got them I did treat the tank as a preventative. I can't remember what I used since it was so long ago. When I got my new fish, I chose very carefully since I do not have a spare quarantine tank, and I would treat the water as a preventative as well. Never had any problems with any fish at all in the last 4 years, actually. I learned a lot from you guys years ago and how to stay on top of things.  :)  

Also...maybe it's my imagination...but I think my common goldfish is getting brighter since I've had the new lights. I'll take some pics in another week or two for comparison.  :)

Hello and welcome back :)

Lovely fish you have, great deal on the tank too :)

On November 23, 2017 at 8:14 PM, gialeigh said:

I've had the common goldfish and shubunkin before all the others, and I've had them for almost a year. They have always been healthy, but when I first got them I did treat the tank as a preventative. I can't remember what I used since it was so long ago. When I got my new fish, I chose very carefully since I do not have a spare quarantine tank, and I would treat the water as a preventative as well. Never had any problems with any fish at all in the last 4 years, actually. I learned a lot from you guys years ago and how to stay on top of things.  :)  

Also...maybe it's my imagination...but I think my common goldfish is getting brighter since I've had the new lights. I'll take some pics in another week or two for comparison.  :)

If I may suggest to you to treat everyone with Prazi. It would be a good thing since you got new fish and old fish. :) 

If you need help we can help ya in the D&D area :)