gialeigh

Back after 13 years!!!

12 posts in this topic

Wow! I feel so old saying that! This site has been around fo eva!!!

I joined this site when I was...I think, 20 or so. I am 34 now. When I first joined, I was a newly-wed army wife, living in California when we were stationed at Ft. Irwin. I'm now a single mom of two.  Whoa, what? Yeah I skipped a lot of the story. You don't need to hear those parts. Life got a little crazy for a bit. haha! It took me away from my goldfish hobby for many years, but Im finally at a point in my life that I can pick it back up again. I recently purchased a 75 gallon aquarium which houses 2 small goldfish ( a comet and a shubunkin) and two baby koi. I'm about to move into a home next month and plan to build them a beautiful pond to live in! I can't wait!

I learned so much from this site many years ago. Mostly from the community in these forums. I look forward to getting back into it, and sharing my adventures in fish keeping and pond building. I wonder...is anyone still here from that long ago???  Like 2003 or 2004 timeframe? lol. (omg I'm old....how the heck did that happen...)

Hi! Welcome back! I'm not from back then but there are a coupe still left from the beginning! 

Id love to see your fish!

Welcome back!  What part of Florida do you live in?  I'm eager to see your pond plans.

Welcome back!  I joined in 2005 so I think I just missed ya . .. .  We'd love some pics of your current crew.  :photo:  :D 

Welcome back. Can't wait to see your pond.

:hi

Welcome back! Oh I want to see photos :teehee 

that is a long time ago. WOW thats when the forum just got going (invision). I now have a little one :) 

Welcome back!!!

Koko oh my goodness!!! Last time I posted I was pregnant, and now my oldest is 9! I also have a 6 year old now, about to be 7 on New Years Eve.  :) 

I just got a new 75 gallon tank and no photos of it yet, I'll have to take some for you guys soon. It's going to be a project tank. I just spent $100 on two plant grow lights for it, and I'll be doing a DIY rock background on it eventually. I also just ordered a canister filter...my first one! I learned about those from you guys, btw. I do have to return it and get a replacement because it was missing parts (yay), but hopefully I'll have it going soon. It looks so huge and overwhelming...honestly I'm a little terrified of it. I might need help from you guys on that.

Anyways, it's nice to be back and getting back into a hobby I love. See you guys around!

I was here then!!! I joined...I think...in 2003-2004, but I last posted in...maybe...around 2007-2008 or so?

On 11/17/2017 at 10:46 AM, fantailfan1 said:

Welcome back!  I joined in 2005 so I think I just missed ya . .. .  We'd love some pics of your current crew.  :photo:  :D 

On 11/17/2017 at 8:23 AM, shakaho said:

Welcome back!  What part of Florida do you live in?  I'm eager to see your pond plans.

I'm in Central FL, Orlando area. Are you from FL as well?

I think I'm pretty set on an above-ground pond idea. I think it would be easier to build and maintain. The in-ground are so pretty though. I was torn for a long time, but overall I think above ground will work better for my needs. I am an avid gardener as well, so I plan to stock it full of wonderful lilies, lotus, and marginals. It will also be surrounded by a butterfly/hummingbird/bee garden. Once I draw up my plans, I'll definitely share them.

I'm in Winter Springs (near Oviedo).  You are wise to go for an above-ground pond and the least expensive and easiest to maintain are made from stock tanks.  If you want to go big, you can consider something like this  which is awesome.  I suggest you start with a something smaller, like a 300 gallon tank.  

I strongly recommend joining the Orlando area Koi and Pond Club.  The next meeting is the Christmas party and the pot luck will be amazing.

Since you are a gardener, are you interested in aquaponics?  I can help you with that.

• Upvote 1

On 11/18/2017 at 8:47 PM, shakaho said:

I'm in Winter Springs (near Oviedo).  You are wise to go for an above-ground pond and the least expensive and easiest to maintain are made from stock tanks.  If you want to go big, you can consider something like this  which is awesome.  I suggest you start with a something smaller, like a 300 gallon tank.  

I strongly recommend joining the Orlando area Koi and Pond Club.  The next meeting is the Christmas party and the pot luck will be amazing.

Since you are a gardener, are you interested in aquaponics?  I can help you with that.

I absolutely am interested in that! I'm not quite sure if I want to set up a system like that just yet. I am more interested in growing water lilies, lotus, and marginals and may reserve my pond space for that in the immediate future, but I would love to research aquaponics more, perhaps to implement in the future. For now, I plan to have simple raised gardens for my vegetables and such. I'll look into that club. Thanks for the recommendation!

As far as ponds, I have been researching pond building for 20 years. I've owned a small one when I lived in TX (it was probably around 300 gallons or so), and I think I'm ready to jump in with a large pond. It will be well thought out and researched before I start building, but I'm ready to go ahead and put into action the plans I've had for so many years.