Mr.Oranda

What do you think about this guys wen?

7 posts in this topic

Hi, Koko's,

I want to see what you guys think about my red oranda's wen. I bought this guy around March. He was already pretty big, probably about the size he is now I haven't seen marginal growth from him yet. I'm not too sure how old he is, he appears to have a juvenile-looking wen, very squarish. Do you guys think his wen will ever fill out or stay about how it is? I know sometimes it takes a couple of years for wen growth to take off.

When I saw him at the LFS I had to grab him he is pure red, the photos make him appear orange but he's actually a deep red all over his body and I haven't seen any pure red orandas in person before I got him. I have also begun to feed the new Dandy Oranda's Repashy formula gel food once a day with omega one/ new life spectrum once a day as well. Hopefully, that will help growth. I'm excited about him I hope he stays red like he is. I just wanted to see what you guys think. Thanks! 

The first photo was taken in early August the second early October like I said not a ton of growth so far but I'm hoping! 

IMG_2004.jpg

IMG_2158.jpg

Here's another photo from early October to show his wen at a different angle. 

IMG_2161.jpg

It will fill in some, but I don't think it'll get really big. It'll definitely be all on top when it does grow out some. He does look juvenile. You can encourage web growth with feeding and a few other factors but I don't recommend it. The bigger the wen... The more issues the fish seem to have. 

I have a female whose wen just exploded over the summer though so you never know. May first photo and then November second photo. The last photo you can see is last November. Her wen looked like the wen on your boy but she was very very small. 

IMG_20170523_154458.jpg

Screenshot_2017-11-15-22-22-06_kindlephoto-26476274.png

DSCN3944_zpsqsayayww (1)_kindlephoto-639344727.jpg

14 minutes ago, mjfromga said:

Edited by Mr.Oranda

13 minutes ago, mjfromga said:

It will fill in some, but I don't think it'll get really big. It'll definitely be all on top when it does grow out some. He does look juvenile. You can encourage web growth with feeding and a few other factors but I don't recommend it. The bigger the wen... The more issues the fish seem to have. 

I have a female whose wen just exploded over the summer though so you never know. May first photo and then November second photo. The last photo you can see is last November. Her wen looked like the wen on your boy but she was very very small. 

IMG_20170523_154458.jpg

Screenshot_2017-11-15-22-22-06_kindlephoto-26476274.png

DSCN3944_zpsqsayayww (1)_kindlephoto-639344727.jpg

Beautiful goldie thanks for sharing! I agree with you I don't want to encourage any sort of wen growth that wouldn't occur naturally with regular feeding. If he turns out anything like yours I will be completely happy with that! I wouldn't say he's too much bigger right now than your goldie was in the bottom photo. I like how red your goldie's wen is and clear tail fins. Thanks for sharing again, I will post updates if I see any growth. Do you have a feeding regiment for wen growth or do anything special for wen? If you do would you mind sharing? Thanks again. 

Messed up on the last reply sorry. 

No I don't feed for wen growth. Repashy, YFS seafood crumble and AAP paradigm herbivore, bloodworms and shrimp sometimes, a bit of pellet food, odds and ends like tuna/egg or a veggie they may like, and tons of natural algae is what they eat. 

Here's another one. First photo from last month and second photo when I got him in July. He's the one with the small bit of black left on his tail. I think his wen will get big like the other Oranda next grow season. Not all of them will grow big wens. It's mostly genetics. 

IMG_20171027_130330.jpg

large.GEDC0318.JPG.4ed6fbfad3c6dac4af67c1f2c16ed34d.JPG

57 minutes ago, mjfromga said:

No I don't feed for wen growth. Repashy, YFS seafood crumble and AAP paradigm herbivore, bloodworms and shrimp sometimes, a bit of pellet food, odds and ends like tuna/egg or a veggie they may like, and tons of natural algae is what they eat. 

Here's another one. First photo from last month and second photo when I got him in July. He's the one with the small bit of black left on his tail. I think his wen will get big like the other Oranda next grow season. Not all of them will grow big wens. It's mostly genetics. 

IMG_20171027_130330.jpg

large.GEDC0318.JPG.4ed6fbfad3c6dac4af67c1f2c16ed34d.JPG

Wow, that is crazy growth for four months! Thanks for recommendations I will look into AAP paradigm herbivore I have read good things about this food. 

• Like 1