xStatic

I got a new fish, he showed up with only one eye

3 posts in this topic

I decided to order two small ranchu (and a few various other fish) from liveaquaria and they arrived today. Everyone made it safe and sound and without any issues, and it wasn't until I pulled the goldies from their bag after temp acclimation that I noticed one of the fish is missing an eye. I can't really tell if it's the result of an injury or a birth defect or something else, but the fish seems to be doing perfectly fine, swimming and eating normally. I called the store and the refunded me for that particular fish. I know I need to keep a close eye on it and make sure the water stays super clean for now. He's a cute little fish.

His good side, and his not so good side

9cd92d6d25117dfa8787d9a317da8344.jpg2fc30cbd7a5325547225b9b579e1618c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Many of us on Kokos have had one eyed goldfish, completely eyeless goldfish and blind goldfish.  I've had both a eyeless fish and a one eyed fish.  They all do amazingly well as aquarium fish, as their sense of smell takes over and they find food very well.  However, I'd suggest you monitor your one eyed fish and be sure it is getting enough food as the others you keep, since 2 eyed sighted goldfish may outcompete those with less visual ability.  You can also train your fish to hand feed, I did that with my eyeless fish and a few sighted fish.  Your fish looks as if the injury (or birth defect) is completely healed and skin has grown over.  The fish should have a wonderful life as much as the others you keep.  Enjoy that beauty!!!  :D

• Like 1