Sand

Can a 7 year old house comet live in a pond?

8 posts in this topic

Can a 7 year old house comet live in a pond after he's always lived in a planted 75 degree indoor fish tank? I'm in Florida and there is great variability in the winter outdoor weather  here.

Edited by Sand

It depends on the pond.  How big is it in gallons and surface area?  How is it filtered?  What protection does it have from predators?   Is it in sun or shade?  What kinds of fish and how many does it contain?

35 gallons, above ground (this pond)   no filter, no fish at all. 5 large plants around the rim planted in fluorite in contour  baskets, bare bottom. it  is in our caged in pool area, up against the house. half the pond gets sun. Ive already decided I'll heat it to 70, there's plug right there. I feel bad for him though :( He liked to be with other fish & loved his old goldfish buddy who died long ago. but  he is getting too big for the house tank, eating everything before the other fish can, tearing up the plants, & now he's starting to eat the other tank mates. I cant get him a buddy nor a bigger pond now. we are moving in 6 months & husband says no more fish right now. the pond place said i dont need a filter in winter for 1 fish.

"Pond places" can give advice as bad as pet stores.  Unless you plan to do daily water changes, you need a filter.  One like this will do.  You need a fountain pump to go in the box. 

I have multiple stock tank ponds in my pool enclosure.  I had some outside until a great egret started visiting and looking hungrily through the tank covers.  After I moved them inside the pool enclosure, the egret came every day, looking at the fish from the roof of the enclosure and walking around the outside looking in.  He gave up after about three weeks.

Unless one doesn't provide some shade, goldfish thrive in Florida weather year around.  Since your fish hasn't experienced temperature fluctuations, a heater for a first winter outside is a good idea.

thank you.

i dont know anything about ponds. what did you mean by "you need a fountain pump to go in the box" ? u mean the air pump sits IN the filter?

Edited by Sand

No, the water pump is in the filter box.  The pump comes with fountain attachments,  It sits in the box at the bottom of the pond.  Pond water flows into the box through the filter pads to where the pump and the bioballs sit in the bottom of the box.  The pump moves the water from the box up a fountain pipe to the top of the water and more water flows into the box from the pond.

You can see some pictures here and videos here.

OK. Thanks!