Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
x-Lucy-Fish-x

Barrel Pond Filtration

Hi guys!

I've just bought a half barrel for my patio and since I've been out of the 'goldfish scene' for quite a few years I've realised I have no idea where to start when looking for a filter for it (like best models or type etc.) since everything's changed since I last went fish stuff shopping lol!

Also consindering heating it so that I can keep a couple of goldies out all year (in UK), I wonder if there are many small pond filters with inbuilt heaters and if anyone has any experience with how reliable these are (or even seperate small pond heaters!?).

Thanks for any advice :)

What is the volume of your half barrel?  Would you show a picture of it?

Generally small commercial pond filters are overpriced junk, so your best action is to build your own.  You can find many instructions for this on line.   You can find stock tank heaters to keep you pond above freezing in the winter.

I'm not actually sure of the volume yet, I only just got it today and it's dark outside, but I can get a photo tomorrow. I would guess around 20 gallons, probably no bigger.

I will look into that, I like a DIY job! Thank you.