Mr.Oranda

Pothos and Nitrates/Nutrients in Water

7 posts in this topic

Hi everyone, 

Does anyone have experience with pothos in a planted aquarium? I have some in my HOB filter it has kept the nitrates under 5ppm. There are just a couple of stems of it, one of them has grown a little bit, but they are not huge. I've replanted my tank with easy plants like java fern, Bolbitis, and jungle val. I dose a comprehensive liquid fert once a week. It has been a little over two weeks since I replanted the tank so I haven't seen any difference yet. Will the pothos suck up liquid ferts and nutrients the aquarium plants would use? My tank is fully stocked with baby goldfish and I feed 4 small meals a day to get them growing. Are there enough nutrients to go around? Thanks!

Let the fish fertilize your plants.  Fertilizers can harm the fish, particularly if you don't have a heavily planted tank. 

Pothos will use nitrate while aquatic plants use ammonia.  I have pothos plants in pond filters with stems 10-20 feet long, fertilized with nothing but fish waste.  I can still grow water lilies in the fish pond.

15 hours ago, shakaho said:

Let the fish fertilize your plants.  Fertilizers can harm the fish, particularly if you don't have a heavily planted tank. 

Pothos will use nitrate while aquatic plants use ammonia.  I have pothos plants in pond filters with stems 10-20 feet long, fertilized with nothing but fish waste.  I can still grow water lilies in the fish pond.

Thanks for the reply. So with aquatic plants having to convert ammonia to ammonium and everything they take up different fuel than the pothos. Good to know the pothos and aquatic plants won't be out-competing each other.

I have never heard that liquid ferts can hurt fish if there are not a lot of plants. Thank you for the info I will look into this more. 

24 minutes ago, Mr.Oranda said:

Thanks for the reply. So with aquatic plants having to convert ammonia to ammonium and everything they take up different fuel than the pothos. Good to know the pothos and aquatic plants won't be out-competing each other.

I have never heard that liquid ferts can hurt fish if there are not a lot of plants. Thank you for the info I will look into this more. 

The only thing I give my plants is Florish Excel and only once a week with a large water change. My ferns are doing great and so are my balls :thumbs:

I say just use the waste and if you need to use the Excel :thumbs: 

The selling point for Flourish Excel is that it contains a carbon source.  That way, the plants don't depend on the carbon dioxide produced by fish.  I vividly remember from my third grade science book the picture of a fish and plant in a bowl showing the fish "feeding" carbon dioxide to the plant and, in return, the plant providing oxygen for the fish.  I still like that idea.

17 minutes ago, shakaho said:

The selling point for Flourish Excel is that it contains a carbon source.  That way, the plants don't depend on the carbon dioxide produced by fish.  I vividly remember from my third grade science book the picture of a fish and plant in a bowl showing the fish "feeding" carbon dioxide to the plant and, in return, the plant providing oxygen for the fish.  I still like that idea.

So True. I feed it to mine mainly to give the plants a once a week boost. It seems to be doing really great that way. But I will never suggest other plant foods in with goldfish as goldfish produce enough carbon dioxide for most low level plants (ferns and such) :) 

51 minutes ago, koko said:

So True. I feed it to mine mainly to give the plants a once a week boost. It seems to be doing really great that way. But I will never suggest other plant foods in with goldfish as goldfish produce enough carbon dioxide for most low level plants (ferns and such) :) 

Thanks for the advice. I would say a Goldfish planted tank is definitely a bit different than a tropical planted one. There's quite a big of fertilizer going into it already. :D I would try excel but I'm scared of melting my Jungle Val. I suppose I could try to acclimate them slowly to the excel, use a half-dose once a week or something like that.