FishyMandy

New Fish!

110 posts in this topic

Yea, he is definitely a keeper

• Like 1

How are these guys doing now Mandy? I have been keeping my eye out for updates :) 

• Like 1

They are doing well! Except they got to about 3 months old and have hardly grown since then, they will be  year old next month but they are still extremely small! They seem nice and healthy though! Thsis is one of my favourites, his name his Rainbow and he has a missing gill plate.

IMG_1481.jpg

• Like 1

Oh he's cute. I had forgotten about this thread. These were the babies that grew up with tiny Shrimp. She's a 50 gram little Comet lady now... Single tails grow so much faster and bigger than fancies. 

Yea..these are single tails. Its weird that they just haven't grown. Though the ones I he inside at the moment seem to be having a bit of a growth spurt, strange since my tanks are more overstocked than the pond lol. Maybe they re getting more food in the smaller place. Anyway once spring sets in I'll be swapping some fish around and will see how things go then :) I don't seem to be very good at growing fish out, my fish tend to grow very slowly and stay fairly small.

If I get eggs this year I wont be raising any, but maybe next year I will try gain

• Like 1

Fish that grow slowly and stay small live longer.

I don't try to grow fish out... Goodness no. I stand so firmly against bulk feeding them and I can't bear the extra water changes either. My fancy fish grow at what I think is a normal rate. Definitely not fast. I have yearlings that are still 30 grams. 

Now my regular goldfish, which have all been plain orange Comets (Asteroid, Shrimp, and Rustic) seem to grow faster. I want to try an experiment next year with a common and a shubunkin and a different type of Comet to see if they grow at the same rate as the regular comets. 

On 9/20/2018 at 9:10 PM, FishyMandy said:

They are doing well! Except they got to about 3 months old and have hardly grown since then, they will be  year old next month but they are still extremely small! They seem nice and healthy though! Thsis is one of my favourites, his name his Rainbow and he has a missing gill plate.

IMG_1481.jpg

Wow I never seen fish gills before.  How did the cover come off?

I don't suspect the cover came off. I suspect the fish was merely born without one. I've had several fish missing stuff that most fish have. 

Myra is right, she was just born without one. I have another one without one as well.

5 hours ago, shakaho said:

Fish that grow slowly and stay small live longer.

I've heard that quite a few times :) With how small they are though it often makes me wonder if I'm doing something wrong