FishyMandy

New Fish!

121 posts in this topic

Yea, he is definitely a keeper

• Like 1

How are these guys doing now Mandy? I have been keeping my eye out for updates :) 

• Like 1

They are doing well! Except they got to about 3 months old and have hardly grown since then, they will be  year old next month but they are still extremely small! They seem nice and healthy though! Thsis is one of my favourites, his name his Rainbow and he has a missing gill plate.

IMG_1481.jpg

• Like 1

Oh he's cute. I had forgotten about this thread. These were the babies that grew up with tiny Shrimp. She's a 50 gram little Comet lady now... Single tails grow so much faster and bigger than fancies. 

Yea..these are single tails. Its weird that they just haven't grown. Though the ones I he inside at the moment seem to be having a bit of a growth spurt, strange since my tanks are more overstocked than the pond lol. Maybe they re getting more food in the smaller place. Anyway once spring sets in I'll be swapping some fish around and will see how things go then :) I don't seem to be very good at growing fish out, my fish tend to grow very slowly and stay fairly small.

If I get eggs this year I wont be raising any, but maybe next year I will try gain

• Like 1

Fish that grow slowly and stay small live longer.

I don't try to grow fish out... Goodness no. I stand so firmly against bulk feeding them and I can't bear the extra water changes either. My fancy fish grow at what I think is a normal rate. Definitely not fast. I have yearlings that are still 30 grams. 

Now my regular goldfish, which have all been plain orange Comets (Asteroid, Shrimp, and Rustic) seem to grow faster. I want to try an experiment next year with a common and a shubunkin and a different type of Comet to see if they grow at the same rate as the regular comets. 

On 9/20/2018 at 9:10 PM, FishyMandy said:

They are doing well! Except they got to about 3 months old and have hardly grown since then, they will be  year old next month but they are still extremely small! They seem nice and healthy though! Thsis is one of my favourites, his name his Rainbow and he has a missing gill plate.

IMG_1481.jpg

Wow I never seen fish gills before.  How did the cover come off?

I don't suspect the cover came off. I suspect the fish was merely born without one. I've had several fish missing stuff that most fish have. 

Myra is right, she was just born without one. I have another one without one as well.

5 hours ago, shakaho said:

Fish that grow slowly and stay small live longer.

I've heard that quite a few times :) With how small they are though it often makes me wonder if I'm doing something wrong

As a rule of thumb. goldfish typically reach half their mature standard length at about 18 months.

At almost 12 months old the biggest of these is probably a bit smaller than the length of my index finger (and I have short fingers lol) Thats just a rough estimate though. Maybe on the weekend I will find my tap measure and pull them out for some measuring. I know Storm, the smallest one is only about an inch long

Here are some more pictures
First is Storm, he is the smallest one, only about an inch long
Second is Pepper, she is just a little bigger than Storm and the only surviving Double tail from the batch
Third is Picasso Jr, named after his suspected mother who has since passed away
Fourth and Fifth are Mars, he was the one that hatched in the pond and was probably in there a couple months before I found him. I just love how his colours are coming out
Sixth, Doesn't currently have a name, but he was one that has been living outside the whole time and I love his colours, Photo is from last month
Seventh is another one that has been living outside the whole time and also doesn't have a name yet, but I absolutely love her colours, the photo doesn't do her justice
Eighth is Raindrop. Photo is from the beginning of last month, she has grown a bit since then. 
Ninth is Picasso Jr With some of my other fish

There is probably about 15 others? I'm not really sure how many are still around, I have to clear everything out the pond and do some catching to count them. There are a couple of coloured ones in the big pond but most of them are brown. There are a couple others I don't have photos of too. 

IMG_0764.jpg

IMG_0817.jpg

IMG_1450.jpg

IMG_1608.jpg

IMG_1656.jpg

IMG_0746.jpg

42591475_10156074307718019_1406527696959176704_n.jpg

IMG_0116.jpg

IMG_1531.jpg

Nice colours on them!  Cute!

I really like  Pepper I think she is the prettiest one there :) 

I really like  Pepper I think she is the prettiest one there  
Agreed! Love the black eyes it has!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Thanks! Pepper is a special one been the only surviving double tail out of the batch. And I do love button eyes

On 9/28/2018 at 10:33 PM, aussieJJDude said:

Agreed! Love the black eyes it has!

Mine I tell ya :wa:rofl 

• Like 1

:rofl You guys :P

• Like 1

Mine I tell ya :wa:rofl 
To be fair... Im closer and dont have to deal with overseas shipping - wont be as stressful on the fish. ;)

• Haha 1

On 10/3/2018 at 7:05 AM, aussieJJDude said:

To be fair... Im closer and dont have to deal with overseas shipping - wont be as stressful on the fish. ;)

But But come on :wa 

• Like 1