FishyMandy

New Fish!

101 posts in this topic

Oh I misread when you said the eggs that do not hatch

Decapsulated brine shrimp eggs are a rich , excellent food . Brine shrimp eggs have a shell which if not removed will kill young fish by blockage. 

Decap eggs can be bought or you decap them yourself. This is also done to aid in hatching eggs.

sorry if that was not clear.

No worries, I just misread! Im going back to the shop today to see what else I can buy for them so I'll also see if they have Decapsulated eggs.

3 hours ago, FishyMandy said:

Thanks! I didnt know I could just feed them the unhatched eggs!

This is what he is talking about Mandy 

http://www.brineshrimpdirect.com/c123/what-decapsulated-brine-shrimp-eggs-c120.html

Yep worked that out now :rofl I just misread the first time. Im going to see if I can get some of them today or some live daphnia or microworms or something

So I couldn't find any decapsulated eggs, and the shop I went to didn't have any live baby brine shrimp either. So I bought a new batch of eggs, of a different brand. I know there is another store that sells live food but its quite the distance away so I wont be able to get there until at least next weekend.

Meanwhile they are eating the first bites more now and getting more active. I saw a baby in the pond today, will be interesting to see if it manages to grow up out there
c3iKO6i.jpg

5h6M6B3.jpg

(he has a piece of first bites in his mouth)

kSAsnZG.jpg

Qoe8XXa.jpg

9qFh6xf.jpg

3JbbRAZ.jpg

That last one is amazing. You can see the swim badder and the food in his system. This is just cool. 

Yeah I wonder if the little on in the pond will make it :o 

I love how he looks like he is glowing too

1 hour ago, FishyMandy said:

I love how he looks like he is glowing too

Electric goldfish :teehee Now that would be cool :) 

So my new batch of brine shrimp eggs hatched! :nana:nana:nana  I accidentally put way too many in though oops. They have very full bellies now :yikes

I think the old batch is starting to hatch now too, so now I'll have a steady source of live food as well as the first bites.

hR0F44e.jpg

23bcvu7.jpg

UzdHDar.jpg

Some of them also have tiny little dorsals coming in

Edited by FishyMandy

I missed this - they look fantastic and I’m in awe of how you always manage to get such good pictures.  I’m. Lad you finally had some brine shrimp success too.

Me?  My dumb fish spawned in the cooler on the way through British Columbia.  No lie.  So the eggs just fouled the water and got partially eaten.  No spawning in a nice tank or the outside pond trough, nooooo.  They had to get frisky in eight gallons of hose water in a red drink cooler in the back of my van. :thumbdown

2 hours ago, Arctic Mama said:

I missed this - they look fantastic and I’m in awe of how you always manage to get such good pictures.  I’m. Lad you finally had some brine shrimp success too.

Me?  My dumb fish spawned in the cooler on the way through British Columbia.  No lie.  So the eggs just fouled the water and got partially eaten.  No spawning in a nice tank or the outside pond trough, nooooo.  They had to get frisky in eight gallons of hose water in a red drink cooler in the back of my van. :thumbdown

:tomuch: That is just to funny :tomuch: 

@FishyMandy I can see the dorsal fins in the last two photos. WOW they are getting big so fast :o 

6 hours ago, Arctic Mama said:

:rofl thats hilarious

One of my girls did foul up her QT with eggs. And I thought she was a boy :rofl

2 hours ago, FishyMandy said:

:rofl thats hilarious

One of my girls did foul up her QT with eggs. And I thought she was a boy :rofl

I bet she was say all the time to you No no Im a girl :wa:rofl 

:rofl that is a funny story! I'm in awe of your pictures

Ive noticed that some of the fry are developing double tails, which is interesting since all the fish in the pond are single tails. Though the mother of the smaller ones in there was a fantail.

Here are some photos, they aren't very good but they show the interesting shaped tails

o7ioIhf.jpg

byLtYKQ.jpg

2PIazWr.jpg

Oh I see the double tails, that's just so neat that none of your other fish have double tails.

kCRf3OU.jpg

I love this ones tail. There are two with tails like this, but this one is the best one!

XBmMz2h.jpg

Then there are a few with what Im calling 'spade' tails like this one. I love his little spots too. Ive moved the ones with double tails into a seperate tank so I can watch them closer and see how they develop

KcfD3IN.jpg

here are all the single tails. Haven't done any culling yet. Just been letting nature do it. have lost a few. Will be putting most of them outside soon

How many double tails do you have. ? 

9 or 10. I keep forgetting which :rofl 

On November 3, 2017 at 2:53 PM, FishyMandy said:

9 or 10. I keep forgetting which :rofl 

Thats cool in the fact your fish don't have a double tail :teehee 

Yea! I never expected to get any double tail babies out of them!

Its been a bit since I updated!
most of the fry are outside now, their tank chipped and I didn't feel safe filling it up again so they are in the small pond. There is lots of algae and daphnia in there for them.

I have 6 still inside, the 6 double tails that I have left, the other 4 double tails died :(

They had a bit of a fungus issue but that's cleared up now. They are still a lot smaller than I'd expect them to be at this age, hopefully they'll catch up soon. Otherwise they seem to be doing fine

bK0Pjrf.jpg

t0HLFVG.jpg

XK3p77a.jpg

pxdojBb.jpg

wLAF1lG.jpg

They look great Mandy!!!

Thank Dawn!