Jump to content
FishyMandy

New Fish!

101 posts in this topic

I was just thinking how strange to have pond fish hatching with Winter coming. Nearly impossible to survive ... unless your located in the South hemisphere? 

Well done with those pictures!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks guys! And Yep I'm in Australia so Its coming into the warm weather now

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, FishyMandy said:

Thanks guys! And Yep I'm in Australia so Its coming into the warm weather now

Love is in the air.... Every where you look in Aussie :tomuch: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@koko Can I have another egg in my awards? :angel:

 

Here they are eating Hikari First Bites. Id rather feed them Baby Brine Shrimp but my eggs are refusing to hatch :madrant Using exact same method as I always have but this batch just doesnt wanna hatch

 

g8h85Zc.jpg

 

a5yICin.jpg

 

t7nodAf.jpg

 

LIJx8E2.jpg

CfmcS9I.jpg

 

Edited by FishyMandy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Awwwwww so ugly. I hate this parasite looking stage lol. Hopefully they grow into some nice fish. And this isn't being rude but the comet sure does have some "buggy" eyes compared to the Shubunkin. Is she always like that? Just wanted to point out in case you missed it and its atypical for her. Pretty fish BTW

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yea, she's had big eyes ever since I got her so is normal for her.

 

I love this stage lol I think they are adorable

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, FishyMandy said:

Yea, she's had big eyes ever since I got her so is normal for her.

 

I love this stage lol I think they are adorable

Me too. I think they are just so cute at this stage :) 

I wonder if she has tele in her or if just that orange makes the eye stand out more, I just love her color :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yea, ive wondered that too! 

 

Going to attempt to get a fry count tonight!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gotcha. Just making sure it's normal for her. Good luck with the babies. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, FishyMandy said:

Yea, ive wondered that too! 

 

Going to attempt to get a fry count tonight!

:redbanana:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No worries, thanks for checking 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, FishyMandy said:

 

 

 Id rather feed them Baby Brine Shrimp but my eggs are refusing to hatch :madrant Using exact same method as I always have but this batch just doesnt wanna hatch

 

 

You could try feeding them mosquitos, they are easy to grow (just do not tell neighbors).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I ave some mosquito larvae outside atm but they look about the same size as the fry :rofl

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, mikroll said:

You could try feeding them mosquitos, they are easy to grow (just do not tell neighbors).

yeah I don't want them... I got some in the back if you guys want me to send you some :tomuch: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have about 118 babies 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, FishyMandy said:

I have about 118 babies 

WOW thats a lot. Im wondering how many will be nice and straight :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My brine shrimp still wont hatch :madrant

Im using exaxt same method as I always have and am having zero luck. The little guys arent taking as well to the first bites and arent active :c soo frustrating 

 

I know there is one that is really crooked, he'll have to be culled in the first lot,poor guy. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, FishyMandy said:

My brine shrimp still wont hatch :madrant

Im using exaxt same method as I always have and am having zero luck. The little guys arent taking as well to the first bites and arent active :c soo frustrating 

 

I know there is one that is really crooked, he'll have to be culled in the first lot,poor guy. 

Dude thats not good. How about some egg yoke :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are some other foods that also work very well for those first few days. Can provide info if interested.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, mikroll said:

There are some other foods that also work very well for those first few days. Can provide info if interested.

yes please. :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Foods that I have used with success are:  live new hatch mosquitos, live Daphnia., small brothers,  live new hatch brine shrimp. and all the other micro  critters, zooplankton, in the pond. but when they are not to be had have to resort to manufactured foods. decapsulated brine shrimp  eggs, this can be made from eggs which do not hatch too., Excellent !. , tried chicken yellow part of egg boiled, not so good. white part of egg steamed a little, good. and for new hatched about day 5 + , milk. just a drop in the tank at a feeding. this works well. later when they are bigger better stuff such as anchove paste , tuna bits and paste of spinach if needed.  Please note that this is some of  what I and friends have used to grow our fish.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mikroll said:

Foods that I have used with success are:  live new hatch mosquitos, live Daphnia., small brothers,  live new hatch brine shrimp. and all the other micro  critters, zooplankton, in the pond. but when they are not to be had have to resort to manufactured foods. decapsulated brine shrimp  eggs, this can be made from eggs which do not hatch too., Excellent !. , tried chicken yellow part of egg boiled, not so good. white part of egg steamed a little, good. and for new hatched about day 5 + , milk. just a drop in the tank at a feeding. this works well. later when they are bigger better stuff such as anchove paste , tuna bits and paste of spinach if needed.  Please note that this is some of  what I and friends have used to grow our fish.

Never thought of Milk but it would make since. Im going to have to try that one when I get fry :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks! I didnt know I could just feed them the unhatched eggs!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, FishyMandy said:

Thanks! I didnt know I could just feed them the unhatched eggs!

You CAN NOT just feed unhatched eggs. That will kill them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now