FishyMandy

New Fish!

101 posts in this topic

I was just thinking how strange to have pond fish hatching with Winter coming. Nearly impossible to survive ... unless your located in the South hemisphere? 

Well done with those pictures!

Thanks guys! And Yep I'm in Australia so Its coming into the warm weather now

5 hours ago, FishyMandy said:

Thanks guys! And Yep I'm in Australia so Its coming into the warm weather now

Love is in the air.... Every where you look in Aussie :tomuch: 

@koko Can I have another egg in my awards? :angel:

Here they are eating Hikari First Bites. Id rather feed them Baby Brine Shrimp but my eggs are refusing to hatch :madrant Using exact same method as I always have but this batch just doesnt wanna hatch

g8h85Zc.jpg

a5yICin.jpg

t7nodAf.jpg

LIJx8E2.jpg

CfmcS9I.jpg

Edited by FishyMandy

Awwwwww so ugly. I hate this parasite looking stage lol. Hopefully they grow into some nice fish. And this isn't being rude but the comet sure does have some "buggy" eyes compared to the Shubunkin. Is she always like that? Just wanted to point out in case you missed it and its atypical for her. Pretty fish BTW

Yea, she's had big eyes ever since I got her so is normal for her.

I love this stage lol I think they are adorable

4 hours ago, FishyMandy said:

Yea, she's had big eyes ever since I got her so is normal for her.

I love this stage lol I think they are adorable

Me too. I think they are just so cute at this stage :) 

I wonder if she has tele in her or if just that orange makes the eye stand out more, I just love her color :) 

Yea, ive wondered that too! 

Going to attempt to get a fry count tonight!

Gotcha. Just making sure it's normal for her. Good luck with the babies. 

5 hours ago, FishyMandy said:

Yea, ive wondered that too! 

Going to attempt to get a fry count tonight!

:redbanana:

No worries, thanks for checking 

20 hours ago, FishyMandy said:

Id rather feed them Baby Brine Shrimp but my eggs are refusing to hatch :madrant Using exact same method as I always have but this batch just doesnt wanna hatch

You could try feeding them mosquitos, they are easy to grow (just do not tell neighbors).

I ave some mosquito larvae outside atm but they look about the same size as the fry :rofl

9 hours ago, mikroll said:

You could try feeding them mosquitos, they are easy to grow (just do not tell neighbors).

yeah I don't want them... I got some in the back if you guys want me to send you some :tomuch: 

I have about 118 babies 

3 hours ago, FishyMandy said:

I have about 118 babies 

WOW thats a lot. Im wondering how many will be nice and straight :) 

My brine shrimp still wont hatch :madrant

Im using exaxt same method as I always have and am having zero luck. The little guys arent taking as well to the first bites and arent active :c soo frustrating 

I know there is one that is really crooked, he'll have to be culled in the first lot,poor guy. 

9 hours ago, FishyMandy said:

My brine shrimp still wont hatch :madrant

Im using exaxt same method as I always have and am having zero luck. The little guys arent taking as well to the first bites and arent active :c soo frustrating 

I know there is one that is really crooked, he'll have to be culled in the first lot,poor guy. 

Dude thats not good. How about some egg yoke :) 

There are some other foods that also work very well for those first few days. Can provide info if interested.

59 minutes ago, mikroll said:

There are some other foods that also work very well for those first few days. Can provide info if interested.

yes please. :) 

Foods that I have used with success are:  live new hatch mosquitos, live Daphnia., small brothers,  live new hatch brine shrimp. and all the other micro  critters, zooplankton, in the pond. but when they are not to be had have to resort to manufactured foods. decapsulated brine shrimp  eggs, this can be made from eggs which do not hatch too., Excellent !. , tried chicken yellow part of egg boiled, not so good. white part of egg steamed a little, good. and for new hatched about day 5 + , milk. just a drop in the tank at a feeding. this works well. later when they are bigger better stuff such as anchove paste , tuna bits and paste of spinach if needed.  Please note that this is some of  what I and friends have used to grow our fish.

1 hour ago, mikroll said:

Foods that I have used with success are:  live new hatch mosquitos, live Daphnia., small brothers,  live new hatch brine shrimp. and all the other micro  critters, zooplankton, in the pond. but when they are not to be had have to resort to manufactured foods. decapsulated brine shrimp  eggs, this can be made from eggs which do not hatch too., Excellent !. , tried chicken yellow part of egg boiled, not so good. white part of egg steamed a little, good. and for new hatched about day 5 + , milk. just a drop in the tank at a feeding. this works well. later when they are bigger better stuff such as anchove paste , tuna bits and paste of spinach if needed.  Please note that this is some of  what I and friends have used to grow our fish.

Never thought of Milk but it would make since. Im going to have to try that one when I get fry :) 

Thanks! I didnt know I could just feed them the unhatched eggs!

3 minutes ago, FishyMandy said:

Thanks! I didnt know I could just feed them the unhatched eggs!

You CAN NOT just feed unhatched eggs. That will kill them.