Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
titch

Hard water deposits

33 minutes ago, titch said:

Not sure I'm understanding properly. Do you mean you're reading my ammonia test result as 0.5ppm after 24hrs or that at the minute we should continue to dose to 0.5?

What I mean is that your tank is consuming .5 ammonia and the nitrites aren't going to high. Once the tank can cycle the 1.0 ammonia in 24 hours then your tank is cycled.

You are very close as it is consuming .5 in 24 hours. that is good but we need it to consume 1.0 ammonia :) That making since >? 

33 minutes ago, titch said:

Only checking as, I know the image shows ammonia slightly green (but in reality, I read it as far more yellow and 0.0), but I wouldn't have said it was up at 0.5. Just want to check we're on the same page.

Yup thats what I see too. Meaning that the tank can cycle the .5 ammonia and the nitrites aren't stalling the cycle. So close  :) 

1 hour ago, koko said:

What I mean is that your tank is consuming .5 ammonia and the nitrites aren't going to high. Once the tank can cycle the 1.0 ammonia in 24 hours then your tank is cycled.

You are very close as it is consuming .5 in 24 hours. that is good but we need it to consume 1.0 ammonia :) That making since >? 

Yup thats what I see too. Meaning that the tank can cycle the .5 ammonia and the nitrites aren't stalling the cycle. So close  :) 

Gotcha!

Tonights results...

Will redose to 0.5 again.

EE92BD15-A15D-4FDF-99B2-CE36909BC9C0.jpegCE04BF87-E1B8-4651-B05A-596FEB1C14FA.jpeg

6 minutes ago, titch said:

Gotcha!

Tonights results...

Will redose to 0.5 again.

EE92BD15-A15D-4FDF-99B2-CE36909BC9C0.jpegCE04BF87-E1B8-4651-B05A-596FEB1C14FA.jpeg

Okay after this 24 hours. Go to 1.0 and see what it does :) 

14 minutes ago, koko said:

Okay after this 24 hours. Go to 1.0 and see what it does :) 

So tomorrow night, dose 1.0, yeah?

18 minutes ago, titch said:

So tomorrow night, dose 1.0, yeah?

:thumbup2:

13 minutes ago, koko said:

:thumbup2:

On it! :)

Tonight’s results. Have redosed ammonia to 1.0 (last pic). Watch this space! :scared

Fingers crossed. 

C2DE9AD0-ABD3-46B5-B0E1-4F604BD7A826.jpegCE728A34-DF8B-4A8A-8D28-23EE2CCB3B5C.jpeg37F7D43D-09B8-45F4-A607-B777324B056D.jpeg

GO baby GO! :panana  Eat that ammonia tank :wa 

17 hours ago, koko said:

GO baby GO! :panana  Eat that ammonia tank :wa 

:teehee

Here we are 22hrs later (got bored of not knowing - couldn’t wait another 2hrs) :) 

Should I dose to 1.0 again?

B523995D-E6EB-460F-99F1-F89B1155ABD8.jpeg

E8E8B976-7DB2-4F32-814C-41110BA074DA.jpeg

Well look at that it took it all. Yup I would do it one more time. Test then do a water change and do the 1.0 ammonia if it takes it all after that. You are good to go :) 

On 11/5/2017 at 1:45 AM, koko said:

Well look at that it took it all. Yup I would do it one more time. Test then do a water change and do the 1.0 ammonia if it takes it all after that. You are good to go :) 

I didn't get your reply until yesterday morning, and as I wouldn't be able to test 24hrs from then I waiting until last night to dose.

I've raised ammonia to 1.0 again, so will test again tonight, do a large WC & redose.

I do have some questions however, provided we are indeed at the end of the cycle...

1. When should I clean my filters out for the first time? Remember I cleaned all those diatoms off a while ago, so no doubt my filters are pretty yucky

2. There are more diatoms in the tank, very few, but they're there. Shall I clean these off tonight when I do my WC?

2. Do you think I should PP the tank to clear out those worms? See other thread... If they are definitely detritus worms, can I leave them or would you nuke 'em anyway?

3. Piggy is not ready to leave QT yet, so should I continue to dose a little ammonia to keep the cycle or will it be ok? I have no idea when he'll be ready to go back into the main tank.

4. I bought my replacement sand weeks ago. Can I put this in as soon as the cycle is complete? I plan on putting in a LOT less than last time, just a covering with no real depth (maybe 0.5 - 1.0cm max).

Think that's it. For now anyway. ;)

7 hours ago, titch said:

I didn't get your reply until yesterday morning, and as I wouldn't be able to test 24hrs from then I waiting until last night to dose.

I've raised ammonia to 1.0 again, so will test again tonight, do a large WC & redose.

I do have some questions however, provided we are indeed at the end of the cycle...

1. When should I clean my filters out for the first time? Remember I cleaned all those diatoms off a while ago, so no doubt my filters are pretty yucky

I would wipe everything down let the filter catch it all now. then I would clean then out the day after :) 

7 hours ago, titch said:

2. There are more diatoms in the tank, very few, but they're there. Shall I clean these off tonight when I do my WC?

2. Do you think I should PP the tank to clear out those worms? See other thread... If they are definitely detritus worms, can I leave them or would you nuke 'em anyway?

3. Piggy is not ready to leave QT yet, so should I continue to dose a little ammonia to keep the cycle or will it be ok? I have no idea when he'll be ready to go back into the main tank.

4. I bought my replacement sand weeks ago. Can I put this in as soon as the cycle is complete? I plan on putting in a LOT less than last time, just a covering with no real depth (maybe 0.5 - 1.0cm max).

Think that's it. For now anyway. ;)

Why does he need to stay in QT ? If the tank is cycled (when it is) 

Sure you can :) 

44 minutes ago, koko said:

I would wipe everything down let the filter catch it all now. then I would clean then out the day after :)

Ok, so cleaning my filters out isn’t really possible for me until the weekend, so perhaps I’ll wipe down Friday night then clean out on Saturday. 

44 minutes ago, koko said:

Why does he need to stay in QT ? If the tank is cycled (when it is) 

Because I’m not convinced he’s better yet. I’m at the vets with him on Thursday for a scrape (I’m still crap with my scope) so we’ll see then. I don’t want to put him in the tank until he gets the all clear. 

So should I keep dosing a little ammonia until then?

What about the worms?

Just doing the WC ready for dosing again. Here are tonight’s results.

7DC14D08-0411-4B25-B777-5C38FF6DEDC0.jpeg8F3E69DA-4CEF-49AE-B2F5-36D2928B9396.jpeg

Edited by titch

Tonight’s results. Shall I go again?

Did you see my queries about dosing ammonia & getting rid of the worms? ^^^

BEB4930D-013A-4EF2-81B3-7CFCCDF5D4FE.jpegE023A7BA-36E6-4157-8D7E-0ECBBF753A4D.jpeg

Edited by titch

Dear you done. :) Its pretty much done. So your going to have to feed it once a day like your doing. I would start wiping the stuff off, put your sand in and plants. The plants will help keep the tank going to a point. But you will still need to feed the tank unless you get another fish :teehee 

9 hours ago, koko said:

Dear you done. :) Its pretty much done. So your going to have to feed it once a day like your doing. I would start wiping the stuff off, put your sand in and plants. The plants will help keep the tank going to a point. But you will still need to feed the tank unless you get another fish :teehee 

Woohoo!!! NEW FISH!!!!!! :redbanana:

Defo plan on getting some new cuties, but obvs need to QT them first and while ever Piggy is in QT, I simply don't have the space for more tubs :thumbdown (unless I use the main tank at a huge QT tank :teehee).

Should I continue to dose ammonia at 1.0 then?

Shall I just forget about the worms and leave them (there's quite a lot of them), or would you PP the tank (may need a bit of guidance on that - never used PP before)? Maybe a big WC & filter clean-out would get rid of a lot of them? :idont

Saturday is my day for tank overhaul - the background paint has been peeling off and making a severe mess, so I need to remove it all and replace (I've bought a black vinyl background). Of course the tank needs to be empty(ish) for me to move it and get around the back, so I'll do a big WC and clean the filters at the same time. Then I can get the sand in. Oh how I love rinsing sand. NOT!

I haven't ordered any plants yet. I need to find those elusive large rocks to stick them to. I'll get on it.

Thank you @koko & @fantailfan1 for all your help with my cycle. So pleased you were there to walk me through it. Thanks to @Arctic Mama & @shakaho for worm identifying. And thanks @DawnMichele for your support and hugs :teehee Love this forum - you guys are awesome!! :grouphug

Woo hoooo!!!!  Is there anything better than a cycled tank?!  :rofl

A cycled tank without worms.  :rofl3

If it was me, I'd run PP through BEFORE I added any sand or did your big overhaul.  Are we sure the PP will kill the worms?  (Just asking, I know nothing about detritus worms :rofl ).  Is there anything in the tank living other than the cycle?  :lol 

6 minutes ago, fantailfan1 said:

Woo hoooo!!!!  Is there anything better than a cycled tank?!  :rofl

A cycled tank without worms.  :rofl3

If it was me, I'd run PP through BEFORE I added any sand or did your big overhaul.  Are we sure the PP will kill the worms?  (Just asking, I know nothing about detritus worms :rofl ).  Is there anything in the tank living other than the cycle?  :lol 

:lol:

You're right. A worm-free cycled tank would be AWESOME!

I don't know. Koko suggested the PP to nuke 'em. Can't say I know for definite how to use it. I think I'm supposed to add it, then when it turns from purple to brown re-add it again and keep re-adding until it's been run for 15 hours in a purple state. Or have I made that up?

There's nothing else in the tank - just airline, 2 airstone, a thermometer and the filter in/out pipes.

I can run the PP no probs, just means that sand and background will have to wait until the following weekend (Saturday is the only free day I have this weekend).

Here is my PP...

Having never used PP before, how vital is the aeration of the water prior to adding and do I need to add over a 1 hour period like it states, or is this really only required in the case of having fish in there? 

If need to monitor the water for 15 hours, it's going to be a loooooooong day tomorrow.

By my calculations, for 600 litres, I need to use 0.89g. That right? 

A little concerned that I don't know the EXACT volume of water in my tank & filters. I'll do my best to measure & calculate properly though.

IMG_7675.jpgIMG_7676.jpg

This is the hydrogen peroxide I have...

IMG_7677.jpgIMG_7682.jpg

It says to dose 25ml per 220 gallons (1000 Litres) of pond water. Fill a clean watering can with pond water, then add correct dose of Kusuri Hydrogen Peroxide.

Slowly apply to the pond over a 1 hour period, this will prevent shocking the pond with a highly concentrated dose. Same question with regards to adding slowly over 1 hour - is this necessary?

Again, I calculate that for 600 litres I need 15ml. 

Am I supposed to do a WC to remove it?  If so, how long after dosing it should I do the WC?

Can I continue to dose ammonia straight after the peroxide? It won't cause any reaction?

And just to put my mind at ease, again... this won't damage my cycle will it?! :scared

Anyone? :idont

Just off to bed now, but need to start early tomorrow morning in order to monitor the purpleness for 15hrs. Any advice re dosing, aerating, WCs etc as per queries above?

It's been a looooong time since I've used PP but I would be more concerned about aeration if I had fish in there.  I think the movement of your filters will suffice.

I don't think you'll need to monitor for 15 hours.  Organic material in a pond will make the solution turn from purple to brown much much much more quickly than a barebottom tank.  I'll be surprised if you need to redose at all.

Your calculation is correct.  Again, I wouldn't worry about the precise volume, especially since there aren't fish in there.  When I used it without fish, I simply added some PP til I thought the tank was "purple" enough.  :rofl  I'm so scientific.  :rofl 

I used Prime to neutralize it if I remember correctly . . .  so I'd follow the directions of the hydrogen peroxide.  I would do a large WC (as much water as you can get out) then dose ammonia.  :D 

PP will wipe out nitrifiers.  I know some people use it in ponds, but they turn off the pump so it doesn't get in the filter.   I just want to make sure you don't  get any in the filter.

6 hours ago, fantailfan1 said:

Just woken up.

Thanks Lisa - that all makes sense, but...

3 hours ago, shakaho said:

PP will wipe out nitrifiers.  I know some people use it in ponds, but they turn off the pump so it doesn't get in the filter.   I just want to make sure you don't  get any in the filter.

...this was what I was afraid of. Thanks Sharon. I didn’t want to kill my cycle in the process & have wasted the last couple of months. 

I realise I could turn the filters off and just run the PP in the tank only, but that wouldn’t get the worms residing in the filters, which I suspect is where the majority are.

So I’ve made an executive decision :teeheeFor now, I’m just going to wipe the tank down & do a large WC, clean the filters out & hope for the best.

I’ll remove & replace the background and get the sand in at the same time. All being well, Piggy can go back in tomorrow once the temperature has come up a bit. 

If they are indeed detritus worms, then rightly or wrongly, I don’t see the point in taking the risk. 

:hide:

They are detritus worms. 

If you have a bare bottom tank, siphon debris from the bottom daily, and rinse your filters well with each water change, you will eventually starve them to a low enough population level that you won't see them in the tank.