Sign in to follow this  
titch

Hard water deposits

154 posts in this topic

26 minutes ago, titch said:

Thanks Taryl.

:thud

Not sure what to do now. I don't believe they've come from equipment used in a previous setup, as everything is either new or been bleached/nuked. There's no substrate (I removed all the sand prior to nuking) and I'm using household ammonia for my cycle, not food.

Kinda hoping they're a larva of some kind that's completely harmless, cos if that's not the case, then I'm back to nuking all over again and restarting this (already never-ending) cycle.

Do you have any potassium permanganate? 

Do you have any open windows next to the tank? 

1 hour ago, koko said:

Do you have any open windows next to the tank? 

No to the PP, and sometimes we have the windows open if it’s warm (which does happen occasionally here in the uk believe it or not!) or the cats are outside. 

16 minutes ago, titch said:

No to the PP, and sometimes we have the windows open if it’s warm (which does happen occasionally here in the uk believe it or not!) or the cats are outside. 

See if you can find it.

You can use it in the tank and it will clean everything again for you. It won't hurt the cycle if you do it at the right dose, but will kill all bugs in there. :) 

Tonight’s test results below. What do you read the nitrAte as?

Just doing a WC.

097A3AD5-CA44-47B1-9A36-59594516FC32.jpeg1C5CBBD4-1C37-422C-B67C-B43FF1EA7DE5.jpeg20360427-47FA-41EA-8FF8-AD98FB86F860.jpeg

3 minutes ago, koko said:

See if you can find it.

You can use it in the tank and it will clean everything again for you. It won't hurt the cycle if you do it at the right dose, but will kill all bugs in there. :) 

Thanks Koko. Will see if my LFS has some. Should I wait til the cycle has completely or do it straight away?

Just now, titch said:

Thanks Koko. Will see if my LFS has some. Should I wait til the cycle has completely or do it straight away?

Either or. Just do it before adding fish in :) 

1 minute ago, koko said:

Either or. Just do it before adding fish in :) 

Ok. Think perhaps I’ll wait til it’s done. Don’t want to do too much all at once. Now I have my scope I plan on catching one of the little cretins & have a proper look. Just need to learn how to use it!!

Did you see tonight’s test results above? What ppm do you think the nitrAte is?

1 hour ago, titch said:

Ok. Think perhaps I’ll wait til it’s done. Don’t want to do too much all at once. Now I have my scope I plan on catching one of the little cretins & have a proper look. Just need to learn how to use it!!

Did you see tonight’s test results above? What ppm do you think the nitrAte is?

I would say 80 :) 

:hi Hi Amy. How's it going?

1 hour ago, DawnMichele said:

:hi Hi Amy. How's it going?

Hey Dawn. Better than I’d hoped to be fair. 

I’ve been ill all weekend, so tonight is my first WC since Friday. I expected nitrites to be horrific, but... they’re only at 0.25!!

Just doing a large WC and I’ll raise ammonia to 0.25 as before & see how it looks tomorrow. 

Could this mean I’m nearing the end?! Nitrates look to be about 40 to me.

1D7FE6C8-D8DD-4A7A-B7DD-EF01A106B5BD.jpegE166CA6B-7C5A-4F33-A6D0-80684B47E4B3.jpeg

WOOOT yeah we are so close you can see it :teehee 

12 minutes ago, koko said:

WOOOT yeah we are so close you can see it :teehee 

Fab!! :happydance

Nitrates aren’t as high as I was expecting tho?

Edited by titch

18 minutes ago, titch said:

Fab!! :happydance

Nitrates aren’t as high as I was expecting tho?

You got plants in there yet? 

Just now, koko said:

You got plants in there yet? 

No :hide:

1 minute ago, titch said:

No :hide:

Well thats interesting that the nitrates went down, :o Did your tap water nitrates go down too? 

Just now, koko said:

Well thats interesting that the nitrates went down, :o Did your tap water nitrates go down too? 

Not that I’m aware of. I didn’t check straight from the tap to be honest. They’re usually pretty stable at 20. I’ll check where they’re at now & report back in 5 😉

Ta daaa

90AD14DA-AAAA-43FC-80F7-5AD12868484D.jpeg

Hope your feeling better Amy. Thing's are looking good in your tank.  :redbanana:

Well look at that :) 

10 hours ago, DawnMichele said:

Hope your feeling better Amy. Thing's are looking good in your tank.  :redbanana:

Thanks Dawn. Much better.

9 hours ago, koko said:

Well look at that :) 

OK, so the level in my tap (as I read it) is 20ppm.

I did the WC and afterwards levels were at Am - 0.0, Ni - maybe 0.1 (very pale blue, not turquoise, not purple) and Na - between 20 & 40.

I raised the ammonia to 0.25 - let's see what happens. I'll test again tonight and let you know.

Just for clarity, here are the images of the test results after the WC. 

Note: the first image shows the results before (left) and after (right) dosing ammonia.

IMG_7550.jpg

IMG_7549.jpg

IMG_7547.jpg

On 10/20/2017 at 3:55 PM, koko said:

One other thing, seeing as we might be getting closer to the end, how do you use PP for killing nasties?

Likely to buy this stuff    https://kusuri.co.uk/kusuri-products/kusuri-potassium-permanganate/    but this...

On 10/20/2017 at 5:21 PM, koko said:

...got me worried!

Should I also buy this to neutralize it? https://kusuri.co.uk/kusuri-products/kusuri-hydrogen-peroxide/

Just concerned about "the right dose" - I need to accurately calculate the volume of my tank & filters in order to work it out and don't want to mess it up incase I screw with the cycle and have to start all over again.

Am I over thinking it or will a few ml/grams here and there not cause too much issue? :scared

5 hours ago, titch said:

One other thing, seeing as we might be getting closer to the end, how do you use PP for killing nasties?

Likely to buy this stuff    https://kusuri.co.uk/kusuri-products/kusuri-potassium-permanganate/    but this...

...got me worried!

I wouldn't worry you don't have any fish in there, so you can't really over dose :)

5 hours ago, titch said:

Should I also buy this to neutralize it? https://kusuri.co.uk/kusuri-products/kusuri-hydrogen-peroxide/

Just concerned about "the right dose" - I need to accurately calculate the volume of my tank & filters in order to work it out and don't want to mess it up incase I screw with the cycle and have to start all over again.

Am I over thinking it or will a few ml/grams here and there not cause too much issue? :scared

I wouldn't waste my money on that, I would just get Peroxide its the same thing. All it does is basically turn off the PP :) 

No fish in there so no worries :) 

1 hour ago, koko said:

I wouldn't worry you don't have any fish in there, so you can't really over dose :)

I wouldn't waste my money on that, I would just get Peroxide its the same thing. All it does is basically turn off the PP :) 

No fish in there so no worries :) 

So regardless of the dose, I can’t kill the cycle?

I’ll look for peroxide, but this is the uk, so lots of red tape surrounds things like that. 

58 minutes ago, titch said:

So regardless of the dose, I can’t kill the cycle?

I’ll look for peroxide, but this is the uk, so lots of red tape surrounds things like that. 

No PP doesn't harm the cycle at all :)

Look in the healthy aid spots :) 

5 minutes ago, koko said:

No PP doesn't harm the cycle at all :)

Look in the healthy aid spots :) 

Coolio. Will purchase tomorrow. 

Tonights test results are in... Nitrites have definitely slowed down. Not disappeared yet tho.

Will raise ammonia to 0.25 again, but no WC this time.

B06DC2FB-D7A5-4B69-8BEC-674FC841D271.jpeg8581ADE0-2F78-4494-BBC8-91D9305D9C17.jpeg