andry6

Sinking fish/bottom sitting

62 posts in this topic

51 minutes ago, andry6 said:

Ok. So I'm stopping the Metroplex and starting the Acriflavine.

How long on the Metro? 

Do you suggest I treat only her in a QT or treat the entire tank?

Lets do the tank, since we have other fish with issues :) 

Also, what should I be feeding now? 

I have attached a video for you to see the behavior of all of the fish, (sorry for the poor quality - it's hard for my camera to focus on close-ups of moving fish). If you look closely you can see the splits in the big white one's tail. (His name is Shipwreck. Note: he is not missing scales. We bought him like that, the scales are there, they just aren't shiny like the rest of his body)

Also...notice the chunk of her tail (The sick one. Her name is One-Eyed Willie) stuck in the filter tube.  I just got home from work and it was there. I don't know how it happened since there is nothing else in the tank for her to snag it on. 

Another thing I notice that she does is she swims super fast up to the surface and immediately sinks down to the bottom and then a bunch of bubbles come out of her mouth. I know this may sound dumb, but does that mean she's having a hard time breathing? She keeps doing it. And she constantly looks like she's "chewing".

That would be the sign that something is in there gills making her want to get bubble and chew on them. Then she is spitting them out of the gills. Kinda like we have and itch. :)

Thank you so much for all of your help. I really appreciate it.  I don't know what I would do otherwise. :(

:) 

2 minutes ago, koko said:

How long on the Metro? 

Lets do the tank, since we have other fish with issues :) 

That would be the sign that something is in there gills making her want to get bubble and chew on them. Then she is spitting them out of the gills. Kinda like we have and itch. :)

:) 

Today would be day 5, but I haven't fed it yet. 

And, I can't find the acriflavine! The aquiculture store near me doesn't carry it, and the other aquatic specialty store is closed today so I can't find out if they have it. Can you suggest an online distributor?

You can get it on Ebay.

Edited by DawnMichele

So I put her in a shallow container to see if she would swim in there while I did a 25% water change and cleaned the filters. This is what she produced. Definitely not what the others are producing. She's been eating blood worms and it's nearly see-through with a big bubble in the center.

Photo_2017-10-04_07-15-59_PM.png

6 hours ago, andry6 said:

Today would be day 5, but I haven't fed it yet. 

And, I can't find the acriflavine! The aquiculture store near me doesn't carry it, and the other aquatic specialty store is closed today so I can't find out if they have it. Can you suggest an online distributor?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ACRIFLAVINE-AQUASCIENCE-AQUARIUM-FISH-MEDICATION-16-oz-/311849675460?epid=1502222222&hash=item489bb06ac4:g:ZZ4AAOSwSypY9Thq

Update:

I started this thread exactly six months ago and my poor little fishy has made absolutely no improvement. I have done everything that I was told to do over the three pages of replies on here with zero success.  I even tried Furan-2 since it was probably the only thing I didn't try!  She still sits on the bottom of the tank around the clock and swims along the bottom occasionally.  Once in a while, she swims up to the top but immediately sinks back down like a little submarine.

There have been two days in the past six months where she actually started swimming like normal again, but only for a couple of hours and then she was back on the bottom.  Her fins are up, there are no sores on her anywhere, and she's always interested in food.  I'm wondering if maybe her swim bladder just might be bad.  :idont

I've tried hospital tanks, I've treated the whole tank, I've fed, I've fasted.  Nothing changes.  I think I'm just going to have to come to terms with the fact that my fish just may never swim again.

One Eyed Willie.png

Sorry to hear she hasn't improved. Sounds like she might just have a  bad swim bladder.

Im sorry to hear this.

If this was my fish I would at this point, have a shallow tank for this fish only and use a sponge filter if you can with Duckweed as the main food. She may improve or not but the main thing if she can't get off the bottom having a shallow tank will be a lot easier for her to swim in :) 

Shallow and spacious.  You want to encourage swimming, and goldfish tend to think the far end of their home just might have some good food.  The more they swim, the better they get at it.

Some options:

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/00130129/ 

https://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-40-Qt-Premium-Underbed-Box-in-Clear-PC271606-001/204793104

• Like 1

On ‎3‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 5:41 PM, koko said:

Im sorry to hear this.

If this was my fish I would at this point, have a shallow tank for this fish only and use a sponge filter if you can with Duckweed as the main food. She may improve or not but the main thing if she can't get off the bottom having a shallow tank will be a lot easier for her to swim in :) 

I don't have any experience with sponge filters. Is there one kind that you would recommend over another?

16 hours ago, andry6 said:

I don't have any experience with sponge filters. Is there one kind that you would recommend over another?

Let me take a look at mine. Its very quiet and its been running for years. :) I had another power head but it was really noisy :o 

I use a AquaTop power head in my tank. 

Then this is the sponge part.

https://www.amazon.com/AquaTop-CAF-25-Internal-Sponge-Filter/dp/B00J9T1RF0

All you need to do is put the power head in the clear tub and the sponge on that. Submerse the whole thing (not cord) in the tank then plug it :) It will work as a filter but you can direct the out flow with the damper it comes with or point it to the wall :) 

Looking like this :)

0319181352.jpg