Jump to content
Pic of the week
andry6

Sinking fish/bottom sitting

62 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, ChrissieA said:

Hey how's it going? Any improvement??

Zero improvement. I'm afraid I'm going to lose her.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Still no improvement. She's still eating well and definitely creating some green waste! Bloody looking spots on her pelvic fins close to her body. (maybe from sitting on the bottom of the tank?) and now her tail looks like it's starting to fray a little. I'm wondering if this could be because she lays near the filter intake tube or if it's a result of whatever is causing her to sink.  Is there anything else I can do for her? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, andry6 said:

Still no improvement. She's still eating well and definitely creating some green waste! Bloody looking spots on her pelvic fins close to her body. (maybe from sitting on the bottom of the tank?) and now her tail looks like it's starting to fray a little. I'm wondering if this could be because she lays near the filter intake tube or if it's a result of whatever is causing her to sink.  Is there anything else I can do for her? 

Photos please :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, koko said:

Photos please :) 

This is the best I can get. She has some cloudy spots on her tail too, but it's kind of hard to see in the pictures. My other large fish has some splits in his tail now but the two little fish do not.  I put the final dose of Prazipro in yesterday. That was the second round. 

The schedule was - Added Prazi on Saturday after 100% water change. 4 days later added Prazi.

The following Saturday I did a 75% water change and then 4 days later (yesterday) I added Prazi.

I was at my wits end with this fish, so yesterday and today I fed her Omega One small sinking pellets. Pellet food always made her floaty in the past, so I picked some up when I bought the duckweed. I figured I would give it a try to see if it would get her off the bottom of the tank.  She is currently swimming toward the top third of the tank and does not sink when she stops moving her fins. I'm not sure if this will last, but at least she's off the bottom.  I think I'll do a 100% water change today, and see how things go over the next couple of days.  

Any thoughts?

current readings: pH 7.6, Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 0  Temp  76 F

20170928_135201.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Beautiful Goldfish. My BEST to her!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Okay lets take those fake plants out of the tank. I would like to you treat them with Metro+ :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

See if you can find some floating pellets.  Make her work for her food.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, koko said:

Okay lets take those fake plants out of the tank. I would like to you treat them with Metro+ :) 

Are fake plants harmful? Where do I get Metro+? What am I treating for?

 

7 minutes ago, shakaho said:

See if you can find some floating pellets.  Make her work for her food.

She's actually swimming fine now!! I think the Omega one pellets did the trick! I don't know!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, andry6 said:

Are fake plants harmful? Where do I get Metro+? What am I treating for?

No but when fish have long fins like that. Those sharper fake plants can rip the tail fins :( 

Seachems Metro+ 

http://www.seachem.com/metroplex.php

 

And also keep this on had Focus. That will help bond the Metro with frozen foods. 

http://www.seachem.com/focus.php

5 hours ago, andry6 said:

She's actually swimming fine now!! I think the Omega one pellets did the trick! I don't know!

That is awesome. :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, koko said:

No but when fish have long fins like that. Those sharper fake plants can rip the tail fins :( 

Seachems Metro+ 

http://www.seachem.com/metroplex.php

 

And also keep this on had Focus. That will help bond the Metro with frozen foods. 

http://www.seachem.com/focus.php

That is awesome. :) 

What am I treating for? Do I just follow the instructions on the box, or how do you recommend I use it? (sorry, I've just never had to treat with it before)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, andry6 said:

What am I treating for? Do I just follow the instructions on the box, or how do you recommend I use it? (sorry, I've just never had to treat with it before)

Your going to treat for a bacterial infection. Im worried about those red belly fins. I have seen fish get that and get worse. 

So what we will do is Soak Blood worms in the Metro and Focus. Feed that to her for 7 days after 7 days we will take a look at the fish. 

Feed just once a day . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Its really easy to use.

How I did it.

Little cup and placed my blood worms in. then I added my Metro ( I think its 1 scoops, it comes with one) follow directions. Then I added in the Fucus (follow directions, I think it is 5 scoops). Then you will let the worms just thaw out. Once thaw then stir it up together. Then you can give it to her. Just make sure you can feed it just to her in a QT or something. unless your other fish need Metro. :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, koko said:

Your going to treat for a bacterial infection. Im worried about those red belly fins. I have seen fish get that and get worse. 

So what we will do is Soak Blood worms in the Metro and Focus. Feed that to her for 7 days after 7 days we will take a look at the fish. 

Feed just once a day . 

am I only feeding it to her, or all of the fish? How would I know if the other fish need it?

Edited by andry6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, andry6 said:

am I only feeding it to her, or all of the fish? How would I know if the other fish need it?

Do your other fish have red fins any where like her?  Or acting like her? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, koko said:

Do your other fish have red fins any where like her?  Or acting like her? 

I just got home from work and looked at her and the redness is almost gone! The white fish has some streaking in his tail and a red spot. All fish are swimming normally and no bottom sitting.

20170929_141531.jpg

imagepng_0.png

IMG_0285.jpg

Edited by andry6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, andry6 said:

I just got home from work and looked at her and the redness is almost gone! The white fish has some streaking in his tail and a red spot. All fish are swimming normally and no bottom sitting.

20170929_141531.jpg

imagepng_0.png

IMG_0285.jpg

I would order it to have on hand but at this point I wouldn't treat they are looking better :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, ChrissieA said:

Those fins are just stunning!

Thank you so much!  When we bought him, they told us he was a red capped oranda. Then the red cap disappeared.  Someone on here said he is a veil tail...so I'm not really sure what he is, but he sure is beautiful! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Haha it disappeared? Wow! Gotta love the ever changing goldfish :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎9‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 3:31 PM, koko said:

I would order it to have on hand but at this point I wouldn't treat they are looking better :) 

Well, she's back on the bottom. She's been like this since Saturday morning. I started the Metroplex and Focus with the frozen bloodworms. 100% water change, and I don't know what else to do.  :no:  I'm on day 3 of the meds. Her fins are red again since she's been bottom sitting.  I'm treating all of the fish as a precautionary, so I hope that's ok. My little orange one has red in his tail and the white one has that one spot and some streaking. I'm at a total loss here.

20171002_183329.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

:)Okay what is in this tank ? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, koko said:

:)Okay what is in this tank ? 

Nothing is in the tank currently, except an air stone.  I used to have two shallow glass bowls with glass stones for decoration that held the fake plants in place. One was silk and the other plastic. They had been in there for as long as I've had the fish and I clean them out regularly since sometimes food may settle in between the stones. I also had some rocks in there for decoration.  I have done nothing new with the way I have cared for these fish and this tank for years. 

edited to add that you can see what was in the tank in the 2nd video I posted on page 1

Edited by andry6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm starting to wonder if this is the end for her. I got her in May of 2013. What is the typical life expectancy for fantails? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, andry6 said:

I'm starting to wonder if this is the end for her. I got her in May of 2013. What is the typical life expectancy for fantails? 

Goldfish can Iive along time. 10 years is a good age for a goldfish. :) 

I have one last thing to suggest. Acriflavine may help us. 

https://www.thespruce.com/acriflavine-1379922

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, koko said:

Goldfish can Iive along time. 10 years is a good age for a goldfish. :) 

I have one last thing to suggest. Acriflavine may help us.

https://www.thespruce.com/acriflavine-1379922

Ok. So I'm stopping the Metroplex and starting the Acriflavine.

Do you suggest I treat only her in a QT or treat the entire tank?

Also, what should I be feeding now? 

I have attached a video for you to see the behavior of all of the fish, (sorry for the poor quality - it's hard for my camera to focus on close-ups of moving fish). If you look closely you can see the splits in the big white one's tail. (His name is Shipwreck. Note: he is not missing scales. We bought him like that, the scales are there, they just aren't shiny like the rest of his body)

Also...notice the chunk of her tail (The sick one. Her name is One-Eyed Willie) stuck in the filter tube.  I just got home from work and it was there. I don't know how it happened since there is nothing else in the tank for her to snag it on. 

Another thing I notice that she does is she swims super fast up to the surface and immediately sinks down to the bottom and then a bunch of bubbles come out of her mouth. I know this may sound dumb, but does that mean she's having a hard time breathing? She keeps doing it. And she constantly looks like she's "chewing".

Thank you so much for all of your help. I really appreciate it.  I don't know what I would do otherwise. :(

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now