Miss Bad Wolf

Filter and heater questions

4 posts in this topic

I am hoping to get to petsmart before their major sale ends to get a better filter and maybe a heater and maybe other stuff.

My filter question is can I use two filters at same time? My current one I got for a twenty gallon high but upgraded to a fifty five. Can I use that filter with a proper filter for the tank at same time?

If I get a heater will it include directions to keep the tank at right temperature?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, you can use two filters at the same time. I actually find it better to use two, because then if one fails you have a back up :)

Yes a heater will include directions, but they are pretty easy, you just set it at the temperature you want your tank and keep an eye on the temperature with a thermometer to make sure it's doing alright :)

Two filters may be better than one, as Mandy pointed out.

I do not recommend heating your goldfish tank unless room temperature drops below 50F.  Goldfish tolerate a very wide temperature range, and we now have a lot of research showing that fish in general (although most research used goldfish) do better when they experience the normal cycle of warmer during the day and cooler at night than they do at any constant temperature.

We sometimes use a heater during treatment for parasites, particularly ich.

At the other extreme, goldfish are "cold water" fish only when the alternative is "tropical".  Tropical fish require heaters. However, "cold water" aquarium fish do not require cold water, they just don't need heat.

1 hour ago, shakaho said:

Two filters may be better than one, as Mandy pointed out.

I do not recommend heating your goldfish tank unless room temperature drops below 50F.  Goldfish tolerate a very wide temperature range, and we now have a lot of research showing that fish in general (although most research used goldfish) do better when they experience the normal cycle of warmer during the day and cooler at night than they do at any constant temperature.

I agree with Sharon. This fish tank I have been doing what Sharon has suggested. No heater. My fish are just fine. Infact one got dropsy and I didn't have the heater in there and it went away :) 

1 hour ago, shakaho said:

We sometimes use a heater during treatment for parasites, particularly ich.

At the other extreme, goldfish are "cold water" fish only when the alternative is "tropical".  Tropical fish require heaters. However, "cold water" aquarium fish do not require cold water, they just don't need heat.

:bingo: