ClinicaTerraLTD

Now THIS is What You Call IRONIC...

5 posts in this topic

I have come to the conclusion that Hagen's AquaClear filters and the sponges that are "supposed" to go in them are nowhere of the quality of what they once were -- remember when you were able to keep one of these suckers for the life of the tank/filter and just had to keep rinsing them in removed tank water? The newer sponges are totally not like that anymore; I have a 110 model, and the sponges crumble into brittle chunks of worthless mush after about 12 months or so, causing me to have to buy a new sponge...

Now here's the real kicker: I also run an Aqueon QuietFlow 55 on my 60 gallon goldie tank (at the moment populated by one Calico Gold/Black Fantail), and THOSE filters are supposed to have the floss cartridges that need to be replaced every month or so (according to the manufacturer) -- however, I rinse them just as I do the sponge in the AquaClear, in removed tank water every so often, and these are lasting LONGER than the sponge in the AC110...

Can someone explain this? Has anyone else found this with the newer AquaClear sponges, and if so what kind of workaround did you establish, if any? 

I think its cause Fluval took over the AC filters. They might have changed what they are using now. I have an old one so I can't help much :( 

4 hours ago, koko said:

I think its cause Fluval took over the AC filters. They might have changed what they are using now. I have an old one so I can't help much :( 

Thanks koko...

I figured as much; was Fluval its own company before their acquisition of Hagen's line, or were they part of Hagen's line? 

28 minutes ago, ClinicaTerraLTD said:

Thanks koko...

I figured as much; was Fluval its own company before their acquisition of Hagen's line, or were they part of Hagen's line? 

They had there own line before they bought them out :) 

47 minutes ago, koko said:

They had there own line before they bought them out :) 

That's what I thought...