schwing9

Is a tank with a 12.75 inch width enough room for Comets to turn around?

17 posts in this topic

I'm looking to get my first gold fish aquarium and I've found a 66 gallon tank that I think should be enough volume for 2-3 comets, but I want to make sure the dimensions are adequate. It's 48.5"Lx12.75"Wx25"Tall. I'm wondering if the 12.75" width allows enough room for the fish to turn around easily once fully grown. I don't have a lot of room to get a tank much wider than that. 

Also, would Fancy's be better for a tank this size since they are shorter, or would they be worse since they are less flexible and worse swimmers? Just want to make sure I get the right tank for the right fish? Any input is appreciate. Thanks!!

* I apologize if this has been covered. I searched the forums but couldn't find an exact answer. 

Yes the size is fine. Either could turn in that space. Single tails are much more nimble though.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Also to be honest I just see no point in keeping single tails in small to medium size aquariums. I'd put 3 fancies in there. Maybe 4.

Thank you for your input, I appreciate it. So you don't think the 48" length is sufficient for the comets to be happy and healthy? I know they are active swimmers, but thought that would be long enough for then get their exercise.

My mature comets, up to 10 inches standard (tail not included) length can turn around effortlessly in a 6" wide container. Large fancies often have to do "gymnastics" to turn around in a narrow tank like yours. I don't consider your tank suitable for fancies both because of the narrowness and the depth. Fancies should have a tank with a high surface area to volume ratio. Up to 3 comets/commons/ shubunkins will thrive in your tank.

Edited by shakaho

Too tall for fancies IMO. They tend to get swim bladdery in those depths. I agree with Sharon. 

Sorry I hadn't noticed the depth.

Thanks for all the info everyone. You've been very helpfull. 

Did you decide to get the tank? What fish are you going to get?? :)

Well, hurricane Irma rudely interrupted my plans, so I haven't made any final decisions yet. Hopefully things will be back to normal here soon in Northeast FL and I'll be able to focus on this again. Looking forward to it!

Oh no, I hope everything's alright. We saw it on to here. Didn't look like fun at all

Bummer about the hurricane!  Now count me in the crowd that has no problem with those dimensions for either fancy or comets.  Just don't overstock - too many fish for the filtration and surface area can get even the best fish keeper into trouble.

And yes, I speak from personal experience hard won on the subject ;)

18 hours ago, schwing9 said:

Well, hurricane Irma rudely interrupted my plans, so I haven't made any final decisions yet. Hopefully things will be back to normal here soon in Northeast FL and I'll be able to focus on this again. Looking forward to it!

Oh NO! I sure hope you and your family are okay. How bad did it get for you? :hug

Thanks Arctic Mama for the info. And thanks to everyone else for the warm thoughts. My neighborhood wasn't hit too hard by Irma and we now have power back on, so I can't complain. There are still a lot of people without power and everything along the St. Johns river flooded badly. But we'll bounce back. 

As far as the tank goes, I'm leaning towards getting this tank and I'd like to get a Shubunkin, a Sarasa and a Black Moor. I understand that comets are much better swimmers than Black Moors so I'd have to monitor it and make sure the Moor is getting enough food. Or I maybe I'll skip the Moor and get another comet. We'll see. I'm hoping 3 fish will be a good stock level for that tank. Still gotta set up and cycle the tank first, so I have some time to decide :)

IMO the legend that fancies can't complete with long-bodied fish for food has no basis in fact.  In one tank of mixed goldfish, my pearlscale -- the slowest fish in the tank--always made it to the food first.  

Same as Sharon...Ive never noticed my fancies struggling to compete for food with my long body fish

1 hour ago, shakaho said:

IMO the legend that fancies can't complete with long-bodied fish for food has no basis in fact.  In one tank of mixed goldfish, my pearlscale -- the slowest fish in the tank--always made it to the food first.  

I agree this was something we all thought was true in the past. Now we know better :)