Kokos Goldfish Forum
FlyingSaucer

New oranda white "slime" on dorsal fin

Hi everyone,

First post here: I recently purchased and received a black oranda last Friday. My oranda is 6.75 inches and has been in a 22.5 g quarantine tank since it arrived, with a sponge filter and airstone. I have been doing 100% daily water changes for the past 4 days. In the past two days, I have raised the temperature to 78 F and brought the salt concentration up to 0.3% as part of several prophylactic treatments I plan on doing before adding the oranda to my main tank. Today I noticed some white "slime" on my oranda's dorsal fin (see photo) that was not present yesterday. Besides this white stuff, my oranda is swimming and eating fine. Can someone please advise me on what this is and what I should do? Thank you!

• Test Results for the Following:
    • * Ammonia Level (tank) - 0 ppm
    • * Nitrite Level (tank) - 0 ppm
    • * Nitrate level (tank) - 10 ppm
    • * Ph Level, Tank - 7.6
    • Other Required Info:
      • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API freshwater master test kit (drops)
      • * Water temperature? 78 F
      • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 22.5 gallons, running for the past 5 days since I received the oranda 
      • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? ATI hydro-sponge 3
      • * How often do you change the water and how much? 100% daily for the past 4 days
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? 100% for past 4 days
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size? 6.75 inch black oranda in a 22.5 g quarantine tank
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? Prime, 0.3% salt
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? Repashy soilent green 3x/day
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? no
  • * Any medications added to the tank? 0.3% salt ("medication")
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank.Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. n/a
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? white "slime" on dorsal fin (see photo)
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? no

IMG_8752.JPG

Can you please test your tap water :) 

I'm more concerned about the rest of his condition. He's puffy behind the gills and his scales are lifting on his side and belly. 

Where did you get this fish and how long has it been in quarantine? 

• Test Results for the Following:
    • * Ammonia Level (tank) - 0 ppm
    • * Nitrite Level (tank) - 0 ppm
    • * Nitrate level (tank) - 10 ppm
    • * Ph Level, Tank - 7.6
    •  
    • * Ammonia Level(Tap)
    • * Nitrite Level(Tap)
    • * Nitrate level(Tap)
    • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible,

Welcome to Kokos!  Please complete the test results.  

Ammonia (tap) - 0 ppm

Nitrite (tap) - 0 ppm

Nitrate (tap) - 10 ppm

pH (tap) - 7.0

I bought the fish from Tommy Hui (http://www.goldfishnet.com/) in Garland. The oranda arrived on Friday 8/18 and has been in quarantine since (past 5 days). Looked great on arrival but developed white "slime" on fin and body over the past day as I raised the temp to 78 F and brought the salt concentration up to 0.3%. Not sure what's going on or what I should do!

IMG_8753.JPG

IMG_8759.JPG

FullSizeRender.jpg

Edited by FlyingSaucer

Welcome to Kokos!!! Beautiful Oranda!!!!

Ah. Tommy Hui. From what I hear, he's got a so/so reputation. The scales don't look that bad but they definitely aren't flat. I'm not an expert on dropsy so I will let someone else give a second opinion. 

The shedding slime sometimes happens with salt but it doesn't usually look this bad. 

Kinda looks like a ph burn on the fish. 

Can you do me this. I would like you to get a one gallon jug test the water then test that water after 24 hours. If you could place an air stone in there. I would like to see how far up its going. Reason it might be a burn is that your doing 100% water changes and if the ph is going up and then you do an other 100% it may be shocking the fish. I would like you to do this so we can see. 

I know the ph isn't going down guys but doing 100% water change with a ph that is low going up and doing it over and over could burn the fish. Its just the first thing I would look into. After that it would be another issue. :)