Sign in to follow this  
ABB63

Salt in water

5 posts in this topic

I was just watching a show that our local fish supplier puts on TV and they recommended putting salt in the water for the goldfish for nitrites. When do you decide that you need that? my fish seem to be fine so I don't want to mess with it. 

Ann

You shouldn't have nitrite in your water in a cycled tank . . .  Do you regularly have nitrite? :idont

When you do in-fish cycling and the nitrite spikes aka new aquarium. Another case, is if you destroy you're cycle with medication or if you add new fish and there's a mini-cycle. The salt helps the goldfish breath, but doesn't remove the nitrite. I think like 0.1% salt concentration protects very high levels of nitrite. Only use aquarium salt and never table salt as it's different. So if you have like 5ppm+ of nitrite, add some salt. I think the calculations is gallons of tank water -> convert to ml and solve this equation 0.001 (0.1%) = amount of salt in grams/ml of tank water. Just for reference, my 75 gallons at 0.1% needs 283 grams of salt, which seems like a lot, but it's not.

Actually to protect from nitrite toxicity you need to salt to just 0.01%...

People tend to make mistakes with decimal points, so I always say 1 teaspoon of salt per 10 gallons of water for nitrite protection.

George, to best help people, please link them to information on this site rather than guess about things like concentrations:  On the use of salt.

ABB63, as long as nitrite reads zero, you don't need to add salt.  Please read point #5 in the article linked above.  If nitrite reads 2 ppm or higher you must use large water changes to bring it down (as well as treat with salt) because high concentrations of nitrite inhibit the oxidation of nitrite to nitrate, prolonging the nitrite spike