Sign in to follow this  
georgelee92

Filters during PWC

4 posts in this topic

So I have a question about the beneficial bacteria. When you do large PWC like 80%. The hob filters back flow out into the aquarium, leaving the hob not filled with water. Do I need to worry about that? I've been removing the siphoning tube of the HOB filter and making sure there's water in the filters during water changes. Just wondering if I'm being paranoid and if it's okay to leave the hob without water for 30min-1hour during water changes.

I always turn all my filters off and just keep my light on while I change the water. Reason that motor will burn its self out if you don't have water in it. Did it once not pretty thing :o 

2 minutes ago, koko said:

I always turn all my filters off and just keep my light on while I change the water. Reason that motor will burn its self out if you don't have water in it. Did it once not pretty thing :o 

Yeah I turn my filters off too, but you know how the water back flows out the hob? Do you remove the input tube, so there's no backflow and make sure the filter media is still soaked in water during the PWC?

15 minutes ago, georgelee92 said:

Yeah I turn my filters off too, but you know how the water back flows out the hob? Do you remove the input tube, so there's no backflow and make sure the filter media is still soaked in water during the PWC?

When I do a water change. I turn off the power unplug my HOB, then take off the intake tub and then my media and then the HOB box its self. then I dump the water out of the HOB and then I rinse my media with tank water that I'm draining out of the tank. I get a bucket and use it that way. 

If you don't have two filters I would suggest only cleaning the media when you need to. I have a sponge filter in my tank so I can switch back and forth on cleaning my media :)