Paigehx

Ammonia reading

14 posts in this topic

I have 3 goldfish around 2 or 3 inches in a 30 gallon tank. I know it's overstocked I am currently waiting on a new tank for them. The tank has been set up for about 2 months now however the beneficial bacteria came from a previous tank which had been cycled for 6 months before hand.

I say cycled I assume it's as close as I can get it as I have never been able to get my ammonia to 0. It always looks to be between 0 and .25. My nitrite is always at 0 and nitrate 20. Do you have any tips on getting my ammonia to 0?

I should probably add that I do 2 water changes a week usually 50% sometime 75%

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

32 minutes ago, Paigehx said:

I have 3 goldfish around 2 or 3 inches in a 30 gallon tank. I know it's overstocked I am currently waiting on a new tank for them. The tank has been set up for about 2 months now however the beneficial bacteria came from a previous tank which had been cycled for 6 months before hand.

I say cycled I assume it's as close as I can get it as I have never been able to get my ammonia to 0. It always looks to be between 0 and .25. My nitrite is always at 0 and nitrate 20. Do you have any tips on getting my ammonia to 0?

I should probably add that I do 2 water changes a week usually 50% sometime 75%

I would post a photo of your ammonia test. Believe it or not but the colors are hard to read for some ppl :o 

7d21e866ebd2503edafd8faba28a2d72.jpg5c930b464c499c6b0dd2f48faa57bf5a.jpg

First photo with the flash and second without

Well I can see that clearly :) That would be ,25 your right. The reason for this is, you have to many fish in there and the cycle can't keep up with the ammonia waste the goldfish are making.

So We would either need to get a bigger tank or you will need to do more larger water changes. I would also add more Prime in :) 

What kind of goldfish do you have? Does the length you give include the tail?  If so, estimate the length without the tail.

What make and size of filter?  How often do you clean your filter and how do you clean it?

What do you feed your fish?  How often and how much?

What is the pH of your tap and tank water?

Please also test your tap water for ammonia.

What water conditioner do you use?  

Edited by shakaho

What kind of goldfish do you have? Does the length you give include the tail?  If so, estimate the length without the tail.
What make and size of filter?  How often do you clean your filter and how do you clean it?
What do you feed your fish?  How often and how much?
What is the pH of your tap and tank water?
Please also test your tap water for ammonia.
What water conditioner do you use?  

I have 2 fantails and a black moor. Is say 2 of them are about 2 inches without their tail and 1 is 1.5.

My filter is the fluval u3 and I also have a sponge filter. I rinse the sponge filter in tank water every week. And do the same with the media in the u3 every other week.

I feed them repashy Soilent green twice a day and they get blood worms once or twice a week before I change their water.

Ph of tank water is 7.6. I will need to test my tap water when I get home. Tap water reads 0 ammonia

I use prime water conditioner

Good job of answering! Internal filters just don't work for goldfish. Goldfish produce too much waste and a gunky filter affects the oxygen supply to the ammonia oxidizers.

Gel foods really gunk up sponges. I strongly suggest you get a power filter as soon as you can. If you can't get one right away, please switch to a pellet food.

I asked questions that would determine if you were overfeeding, whether you had fish too large for the tank, whether you had ammonia in the tap water, and if you had a filtration problem. We've eliminated everything but the filtration.

Edited by shakaho

Okay thank you! Are there any filters that you would suggest? I would probably need to order online as internal filters seem to be all I can find in my local pet stores. Due to space and funds I probably won't be able to afford a canister filter for a few months at least so what do you recommend I upgrade to in the mean time?

55 minutes ago, Paigehx said:

Okay thank you! Are there any filters that you would suggest? I would probably need to order online as internal filters seem to be all I can find in my local pet stores. Due to space and funds I probably won't be able to afford a canister filter for a few months at least so what do you recommend I upgrade to in the mean time?

I personally love the Aqua Clear HOB filter. It hangs on the back and easy to clean. then I also have a Sponge filter with a power head on it. 

1 hour ago, Paigehx said:

I have 2 fantails and a black moor. Is say 2 of them are about 2 inches without their tail and 1 is 1.5.

In the long run if you want to have 3 goldfish you will need a 60 gallon tank to house them :o 

My filter is the fluval u3 and I also have a sponge filter. I rinse the sponge filter in tank water every week. And do the same with the media in the u3 every other week.

Sharon is right Internal filters are just the worst for goldfish. I had a hard time with them in a guppy tank and they aren't as wasteful as the Goldfish :o

I feed them repashy Soilent green twice a day and they get blood worms once or twice a week before I change their water.

If your going to feed Gel food I would suggest doing it in another container. Sharon is right again Gel food is very messy and will clog your filter really fast :( 

Ph of tank water is 7.6. I will need to test my tap water when I get home. Tap water reads 0 ammonia

I use prime water conditioner

Okay so since your tap reads 0 and your tank is .25 that means we need better filtration and more water changes.

Please don't get a 60 gallon tank.  Those things have a terrible surface area to volume ratio meaning they are deep and have small gas exchange and swimming area for their volume -- exactly the opposite of what you want -- spacious and shallow.  Fish in these tanks seem to me to have many problems.  I think you have different power filters than we have.  One like this works very well if you can get it.  Here it is.  https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hagen-AquaClear-Power-Filter-Listed/dp/B000260FUW

I thought around 50 or 55 gallons would be a good size for my 3 fish? I thought the guide was 20 for the first fish and 10 or 15 for the second? I know bigger is better but I assumed 50 or bigger would be a suitable size for them? Thank you I will look into getting something like that.

Please read our guidelines for healthy goldfish.   If you  provide 10 gallons per fish instead of 20 gallons per fish, and double the recommended water changes -- you will have equivalent water quality.  

I like the Maineland Penguin 350 filter's.