Kokos Goldfish Forum
Fish Of Gold

My Lionhead is always chasing my Fantail

Here is a video of my 2 new goldfish. My Lionhead is always chasing my smaller Fantail goldfish especially at feeding time, should I worry about this behavior? Is the Lionhead being aggressive? Or could it be male chasing female type of chasing?

Edited by Fish Of Gold

He is in the mood for some lovin!!!!  

PS I had to do a double look at what's in the back of the tank!!!! OMG!!!!  :teehee

Edited by DawnMichele

If they haven't been together long, it could also be getting-acquainted behavior between an outgoing lionhead and a shy fantail.  How long have they been together?

1 hour ago, shakaho said:

If they haven't been together long, it could also be getting-acquainted behavior between an outgoing lionhead and a shy fantail.  How long have they been together?

My thought exactly. Like Dogs sniffing each others butts. " :hi how are you? You smell interesting!" :tomuch: 

2 hours ago, shakaho said:

They've only been together for about 4 days so far.

I agree with Sharon.  And it doesn't look overly aggressive.  I think they will be just fine. :)

I have to now separate them at feeding times because he will chase her so much that she will either not get any and he eats it all up for himself or if she does manage to get a few pellets in her mouth she will spit them out as he is chasing her and he will stop and eat the pellets she spit out. So I take him out and feed him in a gallon sized bowl for a little while as she gets a chance to eat in peace in the tank.

2 hours ago, Fish Of Gold said:

I have to now separate them at feeding times because he will chase her so much that she will either not get any and he eats it all up for himself or if she does manage to get a few pellets in her mouth she will spit them out as he is chasing her and he will stop and eat the pellets she spit out. So I take him out and feed him in a gallon sized bowl for a little while as she gets a chance to eat in peace in the tank.

You could do a divider at feeding time :) 

8 hours ago, koko said:

You could do a divider at feeding time :) 

How do I make a divider?

5 minutes ago, Fish Of Gold said:

How do I make a divider?

What size is the tank? 

2 hours ago, koko said:

What size is the tank? 

Well it is just a clear storage tote box about 10 gallons.