Kokos Goldfish Forum
YesseGriffen

Goldfish not eating?

Recently I got a fish from a friend who neglected his fish, he kept the goldfish in very cloudy water and in a 4 gallon aquarium for a couple of years. The fish has blood lines on his fins and such. He is a fancy goldfish, I think a fantail goldfish to be exact. But anyway, I put him in my 20 gallon aquarium (I know, not a lot but it's the best I can provide for the little guy) I haven't really seem him eat, I never really find leftover food besides some peas. Could their be a problem with him?  Btw he is doing better now that he is in a better aquarium, from what I was seeing when he was in my friends tank he wasn't even moving that much, he is very active.

Foods I feed (or try to)

Brine shrimp, tropical flakes, peas, bloodworms. I haven't seen leftover Brine shrimp flakes or bloodworms. When I put in the peas he tries to snap at them but misses and leaves it alone xD

Any help would be appreciated! 

33 minutes ago, YesseGriffen said:

Recently I got a fish from a friend who neglected his fish, he kept the goldfish in very cloudy water and in a 4 gallon aquarium for a couple of years. The fish has blood lines on his fins and such. He is a fancy goldfish, I think a fantail goldfish to be exact. But anyway, I put him in my 20 gallon aquarium (I know, not a lot but it's the best I can provide for the little guy) I haven't really seem him eat, I never really find leftover food besides some peas. Could their be a problem with him?  Btw he is doing better now that he is in a better aquarium, from what I was seeing when he was in my friends tank he wasn't even moving that much, he is very active.

Foods I feed (or try to)

Brine shrimp, tropical flakes, peas, bloodworms. I haven't seen leftover Brine shrimp flakes or bloodworms. When I put in the peas he tries to snap at them but misses and leaves it alone xD

Any help would be appreciated! 

Photos or a video of the fish would help :) 

If the food disappears, either the fish ate it or the filter caught it.  Check the filter for food.  Do you see poop on the bottom if the tank?  If so the fish has eaten.

Check with your friend about what he fed the fish and feed the same thing.  Goldfish often refuse to eat a new kind of food, especially if they have only eaten one specific type before.

3 hours ago, shakaho said:

If the food disappears, either the fish ate it or the filter caught it.  Check the filter for food.  Do you see poop on the bottom if the tank?  If so the fish has eaten.

Check with your friend about what he fed the fish and feed the same thing.  Goldfish often refuse to eat a new kind of food, especially if they have only eaten one specific type before.

Very true. My fish wouldn't eat freeze dried foods at first now they love it :) 

I think he just fed him Goldfish flakes. Their was brine shrimp and bloodworms in the filter, I removed the media for a second and placed it back in and food did indeed come out. I will try to get goldfish flakes when I go to my LFS this weekend.

Try feeding a bit of just the flake food you have.  If he has only eaten flakes, only flakes look like food.  

I'm wondering if the fish has Flukes

Welcome to Kokos!!!