oeyjay143

54 gallon Aqueon corner aquarium--filter question.

11 posts in this topic

Hey guys! It's been a while. Nursing school killed my goldfish game, but now I'm back in full swing and have my RN credentials to boot! Anyway, living in Montana now! Woot! 

So I bought a tank finally and plan to move some goldies in soon. I bought a 54 gallon aqueon corner tank and like a good fish keeper, I bought one of the biggest filters I could find. Ran into a problem... 

The lid won't close, thus the filter won't fit. Anyone have experience with this aquarium? Will I need to go to a canister filter? I want my fish to thrive, not just live. Anyway, I'm super excited, just not sure what to do and I've never had experience with a canister, so just kind of preferred hanging basket filters.

Thanks for still being here guys!

IMG_1095.JPG

Welcome back!

That tank really isn't ideal for fancy goldfish.  Can you take it back and get a 40B?  Goldfish do best in shallow tanks with lots of swimming room.  A high surface area to volume ratio helps avoid bottom sitting and buoyancy problems.    

1 hour ago, shakaho said:

Welcome back!

That tank really isn't ideal for fancy goldfish.  Can you take it back and get a 40B?  Goldfish do best in shallow tanks with lots of swimming room.  A high surface area to volume ratio helps avoid bottom sitting and buoyancy problems.    

And Pecto has the dollar sale going on. The 40B are now 50% off and not 1$ per gallon. Still a great deal I think. I was trying to get one but the stand price is what is killing me.

Here's an interesting video on making stands for 40Bs from a Lowes shelving unit.  I felt skeptical at first, but I read a lot of favorable reports.  

If you want something prettier, you could get one of these.  The "65 gallon" version works for a 40B.

Okay, but you guys didn't answer my question. I was asking about the tank filtration. Not about the goldfish. I already got an amazing deal on this tank. It's not going back. Even if I need to keep other things in it, it's what's I've got.

24 minutes ago, oeyjay143 said:

Okay, but you guys didn't answer my question. I was asking about the tank filtration. Not about the goldfish. I already got an amazing deal on this tank. It's not going back. Even if I need to keep other things in it, it's what's I've got.

Did you look at the link I posted?

38 minutes ago, oeyjay143 said:

Is that a filter Dawn?

I thought it was. IM not sure what it is??? 

6 hours ago, oeyjay143 said:

Is that a filter Dawn?

That would be an internal filter. That would be okay for smaller tropical fish. I personally wouldnt use it with goldfish. 

12 hours ago, koko said:

That would be an internal filter. That would be okay for smaller tropical fish. I personally wouldnt use it with goldfish. 

Thanks koko.