Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
fishy

upside down oranda

My little oranda has been having issues with floating upside down for about 6 months. At that time I moved him/her from the 75 gallon tank to a 20 gallon long filled about 3/4. On occasion I put him/her under a sterlite container with holes in there. I did that when the upside down was bad. It seemed to help after a couple days. It's not helping much now, the belly is red, I think from it being in contact with the container. When I don't use the container, the belly is air exposed. I still don't know how to copy & paste/post so here are the parameters:

Ammonia 0, nitrate 10-20, nitrite 0. Water change 5 gallons every 5 days. Food is elive spinach flakes soaked in seachem nourish (worse floaty on nls algaemax and goldfish formula). No heater, temp is 70°. Will not eat veggies. No meds in past 6 months except for .1% aquarium salt as needed.

I was thinking of putting floating plants in the tank with mesh netting over the plants but all under the water level so he/she isn't exposed to air and it's softer than the container. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thank you! 

Edited by fishy

If you can I would like you to get some photos or a Video. Also if you can find some Duck weed that will help too :) 

I'll post a picture or video tonight when I get home. I have duckweed on order :)

2 hours ago, fishy said:

I still don't know how to copy & paste/post so here are the parameters:

If you have a PC you can hit the crtl and c that will copy then crtl v is paste.

If you have a Mac its the command and c for copy and command v is the paste :) 

Hope your Oranda feels better.

Thanks for the copy & paste instructions :) I will try it.

Also, thanks for the well wishes!

Edited by fishy

So I made a mesh net out of the filter media bags (the soft white ones from PM I typically use for aquarium salt) & laced them together with the drawstring. It is submerged with heater suction cups and covers the tank length & width. I will fast the fish, do the duckweed and take it from there. If I need a follow up post I will copy & paste and a video :)

If the fish has been upside down for 6 months, I doubt that you can do anything about it.   The only thing that might possibly help is shallow water, 4 to 6 inches deep, and lots of swimming area.  You get that by putting the fish in an underbed storage box like this or this.

Please copy & paste the following form and fill it out to the best of your ability when requesting help for Goldfish Problems. If you can't copy and paste, please quote this post and put your answer after each question.

• Test Results for the Following:
    • * Ammonia Level(Tank)
    • * Nitrite Level(Tank)
    • * Nitrate level(Tank)
    • * Ammonia Level(Tap)
    • * Nitrite Level(Tap)
    • * Nitrate level(Tap)
    • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
    • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
    • Other Required Info:
      • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?
      • * Water temperature?
      • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?
      • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)?
      • * How often do you change the water and how much?
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change?
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size?
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners?
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often?
  • * Any new fish added to the tank?
  • * Any medications added to the tank?
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank.Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?

Good idea, I forgot about the under bed storage box. She's not been upside down x 6 months, just the past 2 weeks. She had more like floating to the top issues that would get better with lower water levels but that's not working so much now. I'll get her a box tonight, thanks :)

My little oranda has been having issues with floating upside down for about 6 months

This is what you said in your first post. That's why we thought she's been upside down for 6 months. If you can't show us the fish or tell us about your conditions then there's nothing more we can recommend. Good luck with the storage tote and duckweed. If they don't help, then there's likely very little that can be done.

If the fish is little like you say, it's might be a congenital issue and nothing can be done anyway. It'll worsen as the fish ages and quality of life will be the determining factor. How long had you had the fish before she got swim bladdery? How big is her wen? I'm asking this because sometimes a giant wen seems to make these issues worse in them. 

You said she was upside down and rubbing the top of the container you had her in. If you have her in a tub, you don't need to be putting the lid on. It'll worsen gas exchange and make the fish worse. There should be nothing above her that she can rub. 

Hi, sorry for the late reply. I apologize, I probably explained myself incorrectly in the original post (floating upside down x 6 months). The actual upside down consistently was a week, give or take a couple days. She's been a little off x 6 months ago so took her out of the 75g into a 20 long with a not full water level at that time. I did the storage container, duckweed and she seems to be her happy swimming self again :)

Glad she is doing well.  :)

2 hours ago, fishy said:

Hi, sorry for the late reply. I apologize, I probably explained myself incorrectly in the original post (floating upside down x 6 months). The actual upside down consistently was a week, give or take a couple days. She's been a little off x 6 months ago so took her out of the 75g into a 20 long with a not full water level at that time. I did the storage container, duckweed and she seems to be her happy swimming self again :)

She may need to live like that if the Swim bladder has be damaged :) 

That's what I was kind of thinking. I had my concerns about quality but I'll tell you though, she was as happy as could be this morning. I'm happy :)I appreciate all of the advice & suggestions! 

I'm praying for your Oranda . I have an all white one that I love like one of my dogs. Her upside down is my nightmare.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk