Kokos Goldfish Forum
mjfromga

What color is this... Or...

What color will this be? I got this little man late last year. He was an odd brownish and white when I got him. He's morphed into some even MORE odd orange/brown/gold/white now. He's 100% metallic. Really odd little bumpkin. Anybody know what color he will turn out or what to call his pattern? 

DSCN2245_zpskwtofur7_kindlephoto-390600978.jpg

GEDC0733_zpsumgfbxvy (4).jpg

He looks to me like when you got him, he was still baby colored, & he's turning into a calico. 

5 hours ago, Shahbazin said:

He looks to me like when you got him, he was still baby colored, & he's turning into a calico. 

My thought exactly. He still was in his baby color :teehee 

I agree with fry colour turning calico too, though I also wouldn't be surprised if he ends up all yellow/orange

What ever color he is & ends up......I am really liking it!!!!!

It looks to have only metallic scales, so not a calico.  I agree that it probably still has "baby black" and will have orange and white  only as an adult.

Very pretty!!!

5 hours ago, shakaho said:

It looks to have only metallic scales, so not a calico.  I agree that it probably still has "baby black" and will have orange and white  only as an adult.

This is what I was careful to point out in my OP. He's 100% metallic. Calico is usually nacreous. He's not big but I've had him since like October so his size doesn't quite match his age, which is typical of many of my fish. I didn't think this was his final color. Never seen anything like this. 

Calico is always nacreous, by definition.

It isn't possible for a calico to be matte? I ask this because aside from two metallic scales, Callisto is matte. I thought it was maybe possible that a calico fish was matte. I am aware that they can't be metallic though.

Two metallic scales make Callisto nacreous.  There are colored mattes that can have the same color combinations as calicos.  David Mandley ("Bluebelly" on Site for Goldfish Keepers) has produced these and calls them camelots.  Unlike calicos, they breed true.  

Calico by definition is actually a color pattern. It extends to cats as well. Fish people have sort of done something sort of wonky with the word IMO.

Most calico fish are nacreous but not all. But for trophy purposes, I suppose someone wanted to create their own word for it. Matte calico fish are called "Camelot". Calico with a lot of black is called "Kirin". And nacreous scales are also is required to be "Sakura" which is not a tri color. Lol... Not simplicity. 

Ulliri here is a Ryukin of course. They're often orange and white. That's probably where he will end up. He is not even a year old yet so it is prudent to assume that he won't stay this color since he is metallic. 

Okay now he looks like this... Silly man!

IMG_20170812_142300.jpg

He looks awesome at the moment!

WOW look at those popping colors :o 

Thanks. I think it looks cool but he just can't decide what color he wants to be. It would be awesome if he stayed this color but I know he won't. But his hump and stuff is pretty good with things considered and he's a tough little boy. 

Chris here...  I think the color is called "Treasure Chest!!!"  Gold, copper, silver and platinum!!! :heart 

It is amazing how slow some fancy goldfish colors mature.  When I got my one-eyed oranda, Ridley, s/he was "chocolate."  Now three years later s/he is becoming far more black and white with a wee bit of gold!  Beautiful in all stages!  Meanwhile in my small pond, last year baby shubukins have all changed to adult coloring while there's a good 7-8 comets of some adult color still in the "baby" coloring....

He looks FANTASTIC!!!