Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
gto1605

Short tail ryukin keep trouble with swim bladder

Hi guys, do know if this topic right one. I have shorttail ryukin every time he sleep he always up side down but other than that he is act normal. I read from internet most people have same problem with their short tail fish not just ryukin becoz they body shape. Is that right? Btw i give his pea and vege almost everyday

Thanksss

Chandra

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

That to me sounds like a swim bladder problem. No fish really should be flipping upside down like that even if sleeping that means they can't balance themselves :o 

I have many Ryukins. Only two that I would say are short tailed. However, none of them swim upside down ever. It isn't normal. How is the fish kept and what do you feed him? Poorly sized or shaped tanks, poor diet or over feeding, or high nitrates can contribute to fish swimming upside down.

Compact body shapes can increase the chances of a fish swimming upside down but Ryukins are strong and well muscled fish when fed and raised well and should not have swimming issues. 

Please copy & paste the following form and fill it out to the best of your ability when requesting help for Goldfish Problems. If copy and paste doesn't work for you quote this post and fill out the form.

• Test Results for the Following:
    • * Ammonia Level(Tank)
    • * Nitrite Level(Tank)
    • * Nitrate level(Tank)
    • * Ammonia Level(Tap)
    • * Nitrite Level(Tap)
    • * Nitrate level(Tap)
    • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
    • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
    • Other Required Info:
      • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?
      • * Water temperature?
      • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?
      • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)?
      • * How often do you change the water and how much?
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change?
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size?
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners?
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often?
  • * Any new fish added to the tank?
  • * Any medications added to the tank?
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank.Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?

I have many Ryukins. Only two that I would say are short tailed. However, none of them swim upside down ever. It isn't normal. How is the fish kept and what do you feed him? Poorly sized or shaped tanks, poor diet or over feeding, or high nitrates can contribute to fish swimming upside down.
Compact body shapes can increase the chances of a fish swimming upside down but Ryukins are strong and well muscled fish when fed and raised well and should not have swimming issues. 

I soak the food before i give to them. Right now he look ok but sometime he upside down but very rare. Is the temp also the cause?

Thanks

Please when you get the time, fill out as much of the form that @shakaho posted. Let us have a look at your setup that way and then we'll go from there. 

Test Results for the Following:

* Ammonia Level(Tank) 0
* Nitrite Level(Tank) 0
* Nitrate level(Tank) 0

* Ammonia Level(Tap) dont know
* Nitrite Level(Tap) dont know
* Nitrate level(Tap) dont know

* Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) ph 8
* Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) dont know

Other Required Info:

* Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API drops
* Water temperature? 22c
* Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 55 gals, running more than 5 years
* What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? AQUA ONE 1400 lph plus trickle filter not sure size around 1500lph i think
* How often do you change the water and how much? Everyweek, around 40 to 50 percent
* How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? Last week about 40 percents
* How many fish in the tank and their size? 5 fishes size around 12cm and have one around 18cm
* What kind of water additives or conditioners? PRIME, SALT
* What do you feed your fish and how often? Small amount soak and once a day
* Any new fish added to the tank? 1 fish (ryukin itself)
* Any medications added to the tank? Nope
* List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank.Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.
* Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? No
* Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? No

Edited by shakaho
easier to read

I'm puzzled by your parameters.  You have five fish in a 55 gallon which shouldn't hold more than 2 goldfish.  You last changed water a week ago and have zero nitrate which rarely occurs.  Do you follow the instructions for shaking the bottle and the tube and timing how long you shake?  Do you have a lot of plants or algae in your tank?

Please test the tap water.

What food do you use and how much (in measuring spoons, grams, or number of pellets) do you feed?  How do you soak the food?  Although underfeeding goldfish rarely happens, I'm wondering if you might be doing it.  Soaking the food will leach out vitamins and minerals.

A fish that shows intermittent mild floatiness like yours does will usually respond to living in a shallow container with a large surface area, like an underbed storage box, and a diet of duckweed.

I'm puzzled by your parameters.  You have five fish in a 55 gallon which shouldn't hold more than 2 goldfish.  You last changed water a week ago and have zero nitrate which rarely occurs.  Do you follow the instructions for shaking the bottle and the tube and timing how long you shake?  Do you have a lot of plants or algae in your tank?
What food do you use and how much (in measuring spoons, grams, or number of pellets) do you feed?  How do you soak the food?  Although underfeeding goldfish rarely happens, I'm wondering if you might be doing it.  Soaking the food will leach out vitamins and minerals.
A fish that shows intermittent mild floatiness like yours does will usually respond to living in a shallow container with a large surface area, like an underbed storage box, and a diet of duckweed.

55gallons for 2 fishes? Thats for two tail goldfish i think...everything ok now i tried to turn on heater, not sure thats the problem but he looks ok now swimming around

1 hour ago, gto1605 said:

Thats for two tail goldfish i think

Not trying to pick a fight or anything. Im just wondering what you mean by a two tail goldfish? 

Not trying to pick a fight or anything. Im just wondering what you mean by a two tail goldfish? 

50 gallons for 2 tails goldfish like comet which quick swimmer and need big space. Thats what i know. Forget about it if i am wrong

No. That isn't correct. Fancies produce just as much or more waste as single tails. Also they can't tolerate poor water quality as well and they are prone to shorter lives and illnesses as a whole. Any type of goldfish needs an ideal space of 20 gallons per fish. I actually say if one type needs more water, it's definitely the fancy types. They're just not as hardy so more water per fish is better. 

No. That isn't correct. Fancies produce just as much or more waste as single tails. Also they can't tolerate poor water quality as well and they are prone to shorter lives and illnesses as a whole. Any type of goldfish needs an ideal space of 20 gallons per fish. I actually say if one type needs more water, it's definitely the fancy types. They're just not as hardy so more water per fish is better. 

Ok cool i also thinking to get bigger tank

11 hours ago, shakaho said:

Would you please answer these questions?

Yes i shaked the bottle according to the manual but i did it after water change. I have plant but no algae at my tank. For food, I use hikari lionhead but mostly i give fruit and vege. When i soak hikari, i soak it with wster 5 mins before then give it to fish..

Do not use that fish food. Many people report floaty issues with that food. Switch to one with less fillers. A diet of mostly fruit and veggies is sort of weird sounding. They don't really need fruit and only some types of veggies do them good. What exactly do you normally feed? Like the exact foods and portions please? 

Please read our guidelines for healthy goldfish.

We are only interested the the tank parameters before a water change, since these tell us what might be building up in the tank.  We ask "How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change?"  to determine how fast this build-up occurs.  So please test and report both the tap and tank water before your next water change.

Do you subside on a diet of mostly fruits and vegetables?  Goldfish are omnivores like us and need a varied diet.  Experts on fish nutrition design commercial goldfish food to meet the nutritional needs of goldfish.  Quality goldfish food contains lots of fish or fish meal, along with algae and other aquatic foods with little filler such as grains.  Fruits and vegetables make good between meal treats for goldfish, but not adequate meals.  I feed 1/4 teaspoon of pellets per fish per day, and most people here feed more.

Soaking pellets for five minutes before feeding will leech out most vitamins and minerals from the food.  I know no good reason for soaking pellets unless the fish have trouble swallowing, but if you feel you must soak, put the pellets on a dish and add one drop of water.  When that has completely soaked into the pellets, add another drop. Do not add enough water to produce a "puddle."  Then feed the pellets one at a time, making sure each gets swallowed before you add another.  Soaked pellets quickly disintegrate in water if not eaten immediately.