Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Mighty

My jikins are bottom sitting

Hello again :ill

• Test Results for the Following:
    • * Ammonia Level(Tank) 0
    • * Nitrite Level(Tank)
    • * Nitrate level(Tank) 5-10ppm (before water change)
    • * Ammonia Level(Tap) 0
    • * Nitrite Level(Tap) 0
    • * Nitrate level(Tap) 0-5ppm
    • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 8.2
    • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 8
    • Other Required Info:
      • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API drops
      • * Water temperature? 76-78f
      • * Tank size (how many gals.)  75 gallons, running 2 or so years.
      • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? Aquaclear 110, two large sponge filters.
      • * How often do you change the water and how much? Every 5-7 days at least 75%. I squeeze out the filters every other week.
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? I changed 100% today after problems started. The last WC before this was July 7th.
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size? 2 Jikins, about 6 inches each or 80 and 100 grams.
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? Prime
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? NLS thera A pellets, typically three times a day. 3 or 4 pinches.
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? They were added together in April.
  • * Any medications added to the tank? Nothing currently, they JUST finished their third round of Prazi powder along with my 4 other tanks.
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank.Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. I had treated them with salt .3% and prazi for two weeks on arrival. They got through it with no problems.. Then another tank had a problem with toxic plastic plant and everyone got an additional 3 rounds of prazi.
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? While moving them for the WC, I noticed their bellies feel a little softer than normal.
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? Yesterday my jikins were lounging around the bottom. They never bottom sit normally but I dismissed it because I had the lights off all day. Today I have the lights on, I fed them, they stayed at the bottom. They barely touched their food. They just look miserable.. Fins seem less perky. Nothing else seems wrong but this is very unusual for them.. No improvement after 100% water change.

Clip of behavior

Whole tank

I'm feeling really disheartened.. I specifically bought Jikins because I wanted a pair of goldfish that was more long-lived and robust than fancies. What am I doing wrong? They were looking so healthy and beautiful for months, I don't understand how they could get sick so suddenly. I haven't changed anything with this tank. It's about as bare as can be...

I just noticed more symptoms. Redness around the gill plates on both jikins. It looks awfully familiar. I had another fish with some redness near the gill. He got better with salt baths and general cure.

WpeHtZI.jpg

cQd43RE.jpg

LzVX34O.jpg

a93IthJ.png

Jikins are very difficult fish.  Even professional breeders have trouble keeping and breeding them.

What antibiotics do you have or can get easily?

9 minutes ago, shakaho said:

Jikins are very difficult fish.  Even professional breeders have trouble keeping and breeding them.

What antibiotics do you have or can get easily?

I have General cure, Metroplex, Kanaplex, and Furan-2

Hope they feel better.

17 minutes ago, DawnMichele said:

Hope they feel better.

Thank you me too :ill If I lose these two I think I will have to give up on the fancies

I tried a salt bath last night but it didn't go well. They couldn't even make it one minute before "fainting". Today they look the same. Not better or worse.

How much salt did you use?   We usually recommend doing a dip in 1.0% salt initially.  If the fish lasts the full 5 minutes (almost all do) use 2% salt for the next dip and do not increase the salt concentration  until the fish can tolerate 5 minutes at 2% salt.

Edited by shakaho

Please begin treating with metronidazole and order some oxytetracycline hydrochloride if you can't find it locally.  Use the two medications together once you have them both.

20 minutes ago, shakaho said:

How much salt did you use?   We usually recommend doing a dip in 1.0% salt initially.  If the fish lasts the full 5 minutes (almost all do) use 2% salt for the next dip and do not increase the salt concentration  until the fish can tolerate 5 minutes at 2% salt.

14 minutes ago, shakaho said:

Please begin treating with metronidazole and order some oxytetracycline hydrochloride if you can't find it locally.  Use the two medications together once you have them both.

I followed the salt dip procedure thread which said 3% salt.

I found some "Oxytetracycline Hydrochloride 100%" on Angelsplus.com. It probably wouldn't be here for a good week. Do you think it can wait that long?

Should I try the dip again but more gradual like you said? I'm trying not to panic but they look awful. I've never had a goldfish refuse food before

Yes,, please do the dips gradually, dipping once a day.  

Ideally you would be treating with the combination of metro and oxy, but unless you can find oxy locally, all you can do right now is treat with the metro alone until the oxy arrives.  

One of them died this morning .. I assume the other is not far behind. She is floating on her side now. Maybe I will try out common or comet goldfish... Those should be the strongest of goldfish right? I feel like I am following all of the rules of goldfish keeping but I've still lost a LOT of goldfish over two years. Like double digits. I don't understand

Does my 75 gallon need to be sterilized now?

28 minutes ago, Mighty said:

Does my 75 gallon need to be sterilized now?

You still have the other one.?

Im sorry to hear the other passed. Its just getting so hard to get Meds now :( 

Just now, koko said:

You still have the other one.?

Im sorry to hear the other passed. Its just getting so hard to get Meds now :( 

I still have one Jikin but she looks very poorly. I don't think she'll be going back to her 75... I still have my telescopes though. They would like the extra space.

5 minutes ago, Mighty said:

I still have one Jikin but she looks very poorly. I don't think she'll be going back to her 75... I still have my telescopes though. They would like the extra space.

She is on Metro right now?

If there isn't anyone in the 75 I would clean it out :) Just to make sure what ever it was isn't going to be there for the other fish. :)

5 minutes ago, koko said:

She is on Metro right now?

If there isn't anyone in the 75 I would clean it out :) Just to make sure what ever it was isn't going to be there for the other fish. :)

Yes she has the metroplex in her QT tank

Do I need bleach or anything like that for the 75?

18 minutes ago, Mighty said:

Yes she has the metroplex in her QT tank

Do I need bleach or anything like that for the 75?

You can Double dose on the Metro :) 

Sterilize all equipment, including nets and filter hose, airstones, any fish stuff.  Boil or potassium permanganate it.  Toss any filter media that cannot be sterilized.  Do bleach or potassium permanganate dips for all your plants and rocks, and toss or bleach the sand if you have any in there.

Rinse any bleached items very well with prime treated water, then let them air dry until the bleach smells dissipate. 

IM so sorry for your loss.  :hug

On 7/16/2017 at 10:51 AM, DawnMichele said:

IM so sorry for your loss.  :hug

A couple of my fancies from another tank are bottom sitting with their dorsal down. Since they went through 3 rounds of prazi recently I'm assuming they might have caught whatever killed my jikins so I'm going to try the metro + oxy + salt dips on them and hope for the best.

3 hours ago, Mighty said:

A couple of my fancies from another tank are bottom sitting with their dorsal down. Since they went through 3 rounds of prazi recently I'm assuming they might have caught whatever killed my jikins so I'm going to try the metro + oxy + salt dips on them and hope for the best.

Did you use any  equipment between tanks.? 

22 minutes ago, koko said:

Did you use any  equipment between tanks.? 

yes unfortunately I am not very careful about equipment sharing. I used the same python for them all at least until the jikins got sick. The two bottom sitting right now are in the the tank that seemingly got poisoned by plastic plant that was in this post. Maybe it was the same sickness all along??

Edit: although the ones sick now did look better after prazi+salt so maybe not the same

Edited by Mighty

I have 5-7 tanks (some inactive on and off) all for goldfish.. since I usually share the siphon and do things like dip my hands in each tank all the time, they should all be pretty comfortable with each other's bugs by now.... The last new fish was months ago. Not everyone is sick but I guess I should probably invest in a few other siphons huh??

Edited by Mighty
details

One of the two fancies looks very near death. He looked OK this morning and made it through all 5 minutes of 3% salt bath (I worked up to it this time - he had no problem with 2%). But he's not responding to being scooped up anymore. I moved him into his own tub for now so he doesn't get pushed around too much but he has very little gill movement. The other fancy looks alright. He's still eating and swimming but his gill movement looks exaggerated. I think I should stop with the salt baths.

Should I try something else? The oxy will be here Friday. Do I just have to wait? This seems like its getting so bad SO fast. Any ideas what might be causing this?