Kokos Goldfish Forum
dubbergirl

New here with questions

I have really enjoyed looking at all the pics and reading all things goldfish on this site.    Can anyone tell me where to find a guide (visual is better for me, but I'll take whatever length measurements) of how big a fish is at what age?  I have the tiny baby telescope, the oranda my friend said she had for 3 years(the rest of the fish in the tank ended up being males, and they wre beating her up, so she asked if I'd take her), and a (I am biased) gorgeous calico that was sold to me as Ryukin, but after asking around, most people think Ryukin mix or Fantail.  Curious as how to determine the age of the other two.  Also, how do you tell if a fish is stunted when you purchase it?  Sorry for all the newbie questions.  Really just trying to read anything and everything I can get my hands on, as school is still out for summer, and I've turned summer reading, into summer of goldfish learning :read

IMG_3733.jpg

IMG_3794.jpg

Well thats really hard to do. Goldfish just like any animal or human can been different sizes and shapes at the same age. I have seen fry's from the same group and some will be HUGE and other small. Just depends on Genetics and there environment :) 

There are some growth curves for common goldfish, but nothing for fancies.  Even within a variety, the size variation among those of the same age is too great.

Actually the variation among fry from the same hatch has little to do with genetics. Mamma produces hundreds of eggs, and while the division of the genes on the chromosomes is very precise, the cytoplasm gets divided roughly equally in each cell division.  Some eggs wind up with more goodies than others.  In any spawn, the sizes of the fry make a bell-shaped curve, even though they are raised in the same tank with the same treatment.

It takes real effort to stunt a goldfish.  Basically you have to feed the minimum amount of food that will keep the fish alive.  Crowding and foul water conditions can also stunt fish, but it more often kills the fish so if one wants to produce stunted fish (and some people try to do so) this doesn't work very well.

Edited by shakaho

I was just curious.  I wasn't sure what to expect.  I was kind of assuming the oranda I was given, might be as big as she was going to get (she's a little over 3).  The Ryukin/Fantail mystery fish, the lady at the lfs said the size he was was usually the size of one that was a year old.  And baby fish, he looks to be the size of some fish I saw in the section where people were posting pics of their fish as they grew, and he was similar in size to a 2 month old.  He looks to be growing to me, but maybe it's because I'm used to him being the baby fish in the tank.  :teehee

Most goldfish grow slower with age and are probably about 2/3 their ultimate size at three years.  Those whose early growth was limited by underfeeding, overcrowding, or illness/parasites are probably more likely to continue growth after correcting those conditions. 

Thank you!  The oranda I was given by my friend, was very well taken care of.  All of her fish and her dog are very well taken care of.  That is a good estimate for me to go by.  I was just going with a year for my bigger calico, because that is what the lfs said.  I'm sure he/she will get bigger.  The telescope has filled out in the week we've had him, and his pale gold is turning darker orange, so I must be doing something right.