Terra

I am just so sad

11 posts in this topic

I have lost my boys, Chunk and fleck. I have been so sad over it-I got so attached to those two in such a short amount of time. 

My family and I went camping for a week, and my oldest boy stayed home because he had to work. Everything was going great-he sent pictures every day, and snapchat pictures and the like. On the 6th day that we were away, he called me in a panic, that the tank was really cloudy, and the fish looked lethargic. 

We packed it in right away, and came home a day early, and sure enough-the tank looked like pea soup. The fish were swimming, but looked tired, slow and sad. We did an immediate water change, and I could see white specks all over both of them. I was horrified, but my fiance said it looked like ich, and we could treat it. Ok, so we went and got the aquarium salt and treated according to direction for ich, but they didn't really improve. we did the water changes and salt additions, hoping they would come out of it. 

two days later, I woke up at 5 am to do the water change and salt addition, and they were both dead. 

I have no clue what caused the cloudy water, and they were perfectly healthy when we left! I feel like it may have been the plants we had in there, which I removed immediately when we came home. I just don't know.

We emptied the tank, and I scrubbed it, and the filter and everything else went in the garbage.

RIP, Chuck and Fleck. Swim free and happy, boys. 

I'm so sorry for your loss. 

Do you know what type of plants they were? How long was the tank running for? 

Again I'm so sorry

I'm not certain of the type of plant, we got it from the huge aquarium store in the next town. It wasn't so big, long blades about 4 inches high. 

The tank had been cycling for at least 2 months, and all of the numbers were perfect. My fiance is very obsessive about testing and water changes and making sure everything is perfect. He's beyond sad about this loss. He grew very attached to them, his buddies who's tank is next to his table in our living room. He talked to them, while doing his woodburning. 

Thats so sad. Im very sorry. I know how hard it is when things happen like this, especially so suddenly.

The cloudyness made me think you might have had a bacterial bloom which made me wonder if there was a spike in ammomia or nitrite.

How long before this happened were the plants added ?

Sorry for the questions,  just trying to help you figure out what happened, if you want to try and work it out.

36 minutes ago, FishyMandy said:

Thats so sad. Im very sorry. I know how hard it is when things happen like this, especially so suddenly.

The cloudyness made me think you might have had a bacterial bloom which made me wonder if there was a spike in ammomia or nitrite.

How long before this happened were the plants added ?

Sorry for the questions,  just trying to help you figure out what happened, if you want to try and work it out.

The plants were in there a few days before we got the boys. they seemed to be doing well! I should have had my son do a water test while we were gone, but since the numbers were so good before we left, I figured all was well.

Of course 20/20 hindsight. 

I really appreciate your help. I feel like I did something wrong. I always have plastic plants, but really wanted to try a planted tank. 

I cleaned the tank out, replaced everything, and put plastic plants in yesterday. Now the tank is cycling again. 

So the fish and the plant have been in the tank for 2 months?

If so the plant wouldn't have done much. What could have happened is you might have had a bacteria bloom in the tank. Making (most likely) the ammonia and nitrites go up. We should have tested the water :)

Goldfish can get ich at any point in time when they are stressed out. So my guess is the tank had a cycle bump they got stressed. Got Ich maybe and it was to much for them. 

But we are here to help you guys along if you do get more fish :) 

IM so sorry for your loss. RIP Chunk and Fleck.

4 hours ago, koko said:

So the fish and the plant have been in the tank for 2 months?

If so the plant wouldn't have done much. What could have happened is you might have had a bacteria bloom in the tank. Making (most likely) the ammonia and nitrites go up. We should have tested the water :)

Goldfish can get ich at any point in time when they are stressed out. So my guess is the tank had a cycle bump they got stressed. Got Ich maybe and it was to much for them. 

But we are here to help you guys along if you do get more fish :) 

Thank you! :pease:  We're going to let the tank cycle, make sure it's perfect, then I'm thinking the 29g will be a guppy tank. Next week we're picking up our 55 or 75g which will be another fancy tank. After cycling, I'm hoping to find very small fantails, and maybe one very young oranda. Guaranteed I'll be nervous and asking more than a thousand questions. lol

I agree with Koko, Definitely doesn't sound like the plant did anything :) Just a cycle bump that stressed them. I'm so sorry, and we will definitely be here to help when you are ready :heart

A 55 gallon tank works for 2 goldfish, a 75 for 3 to 4.

I'm  so sorry for your loss of Chunk and Flecksadhug.gif