Kokos Goldfish Forum

Curled and nose down on the bottom

Hello and welcome to kokos. i am sorry your fish is not well and i will be very honest with you, judging by it's resting position, it's not looking good :(. how long has your fish been unwell?

please answer all the questions below as best as you can and we will see what we can suggest to help.

Please copy & paste fill the following form and fill it out to the best of your ability when requesting help for Goldfish Problems:

• Test Results for the Following:
    • * Ammonia Level(Tank)
    • * Nitrite Level(Tank)
    • * Nitrate level(Tank)
    • * Ammonia Level(Tap)
    • * Nitrite Level(Tap)
    • * Nitrate level(Tap)
    • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
    • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
    • Other Required Info:
      • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?
      • * Water temperature?
      • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?
      • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)?
      • * How often do you change the water and how much?
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change?
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size?
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners?
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often?
  • * Any new fish added to the tank?
  • * Any medications added to the tank?
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank.Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?

Welcome to Kokos and hope your Goldfish feels better.

Looks like advanced stage of nitrate poisoning. 

Even without test results, we can say that your fish almost certainly died from poor water quality.  With two fish in a 15 gallon tank, and the last water change 3 months ago, toxins have built up.

Please read our guidelines for healthy goldfish.

Seconding what the ladies said - The guidelines and extremely helpful for preventing this sort of thing from happening with just some basics.

From what I read, the Japanese use lots of large water changes.  

I've got a few years on you, and I also knew many people who kept goldfish in bowls for years when I was a kid.  The bowls were shallow and had a large surface area, unlike the ones you can get now, and the instructions that came with the fish said to change all of the water every day and feed just a small pinch of flakes.  That worked fine.

"Fish" have a much wider pH  range than 6.5 to 8,  Goldfish can do well in a stable pH of 6.5 to 9.0 as long as they have acclimated to that pH.  We recommend keeping the pH above 7.0 simply because a lower pHs often lack stability and can slip down to a range that the fish can't handle.  Almost everyone here uses the API Freshwater Master Kit, and most of us bought it on line.

No, nitrite doesn't convert to nitrate when dissolved in water.  This requires the action of bacteria, most commonly from the genus Nitrospira.  Another group of bacteria/archaea convert the ammonia produced by the fish to nitrite.  Both ammonia and nitrite are deadly poisons to fish and you must keep them at zero.  Nitrate has much less toxicity, but high levels can harm fish.  Regular large water changes keep nitrate levels healthy.  If you keep nitrate low, you will also have low levels of many other pollutants that require advanced techniques to measure.

Please read our guidelines for healthy goldfish before you get more fish.