Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
GoggleHat

New goldfish, should I treat my tank with PraziPro?

7 minutes ago, GoggleHat said:

Well alright then. But please don't treat me like a 5 year old, that's the impression I'm getting from both of you. I'm just looking for information and if I have received incorrect advice before, then you can easily explain it to me without being condescending... I genuinely appreciate the help, but I really hope you consider how that could make me feel.

Im not treating you like a 5 year old. Im trying to explain to you the easiest way I can. Im here to help you not to make you feel bad. Goldfish are hard to learn but once you have it down its easy. :) 

I will take your advice and remove the fake plants. But wouldn't that be unfortunate for the fish? I mainly have them in there so he may feel secure by having things to hide behind.

So what if I were to change 25% of the water each day and add one more does of PraziPro after 5 days? Then after another 5 I would add him to my larger tank? Does that sound like a good idea? Should I still try to add salt?

2 hours ago, GoggleHat said:

I will take your advice and remove the fake plants. But wouldn't that be unfortunate for the fish? I mainly have them in there so he may feel secure by having things to hide behind.

Fish will do fine with nothing in there tank. :) Its only Temp.

So what if I were to change 25% of the water each day and add one more does of PraziPro after 5 days? Then after another 5 I would add him to my larger tank? Does that sound like a good idea? Should I still try to add salt?

Well if you did it that way you might kill off all the Flukes and then if the fish do have them you will get in them in your main tank. Flukes have a cycle just like fleas on cats and dogs. They lay eggs and after about a week you have killed the Adults but now the eggs will hatch. This is why we do it for so long and over again with salt. 

If you don't like to do it with Prazipro you could go the more expensive route like I did and use General Cure. I just followed the directions on the package. I then did my salt after the General Cure. 

6 minutes ago, koko said:

Fish will do fine with nothing in there tank. :) Its only Temp.

Well if you did it that way you might kill off all the Flukes and then if the fish do have them you will get in them in your main tank. Flukes have a cycle just like fleas on cats and dogs. They lay eggs and after about a week you have killed the Adults but now the eggs will hatch. This is why we do it for so long and over again with salt. 

If you don't like to do it with Prazipro you could go the more expensive route like I did and use General Cure. I just followed the directions on the package. I then did my salt after the General Cure. 

Oi... this seems like a lot more to figure out than it is... So at the moment I have the 10 gallon tank with no salt but does have the PraziPro. I will change 25% of the water each day and then after 5 days add more PraziPro and go another 5 days or so, then I will put him in the big tank. Will this be okay? Or is there a chance any potential parasites may find their way back after 10 days of treatment?

Would you please give an example of being condescending?  That is certainly against our policy.

Oi... this seems like a lot more to figure out than it is... So at the moment I have the 10 gallon tank with no salt but does have the PraziPro. I will change 25% of the water each day and then after 5 days add more PraziPro and go another 5 days or so, then I will put him in the big tank. Will this be okay? Or is there a chance any potential parasites may find their way back after 10 days of treatment?

Thats the advice I can give you and how I know how to do it. If you want to do it your way thats fine to. I can only help so much and tell you how I would and this forum does the Qt for new fish. 

Chiming in here - generally speaking, with quarantine tanks daily 100% water changes are needed to control the ammonia.  Sometimes if the fish is small we can get away with neutralizing it with some Prime or Ammolock water conditioner, to stretch the time between water changes.  But to remove any biological matter/poop/dead microorganisms/eggs/what have you it is a *general* quarantine practice to do 100% water changes. 

There are some cases where we don't recommend that, depending on the treatment or quality of the tap water.  But as a broad guideline that is where we are coming from.

2 hours ago, shakaho said:

Would you please give an example of being condescending?  That is certainly against our policy.

It's nothing worth noting, just the general vibe given by referring to me as Hun, and then explaining something. It gives the person the feel as though you consider yourself greater than they are or that they are nothing greater than a child. Also I was a bit bothered by the fact that in response to my question Koko only repeated the very post I quoted... It really doesn't matter. The result is the same, bacteria doesn't stay in the water, Koko has no better suggestion than what she already posted, it was just what lead up to it that made me feel belittled. 

But how or what way I felt others were being condescending doesn't matter. The point is, I'm still not clear on what I'm supposed to do. As always I'm getting different advice from everyone and I definitely can't do it all. Would the 2.5 inch ranchu actually live if I left it in a 10 gallon tank with a filter, airstone, and a treatment of PraziPro to treat possible parasites or illnesses for the next 2 weeks? Or does what I'm doing not matter at all and I can just put it in my planted but uninhabited 35 gallon tank?

And again, I'd like to point out that I have no idea if the fish has parasites or any problems I only just received it from an online seller that kept it monitored for 3 months or so after receiving it from a breeder and before sending it.

7 hours ago, GoggleHat said:

I will say this... If I ever noticed one of my fish hiding, it was suspected as sick and most likely needed hospital. Even when I had tons of decorations, the fish never hid behind them. Tons of hiding places aren't necessary in tanks. You'll find that the fish seem happier in a minimalist type of tank. So this is of no concern IMO. 

3 hours ago, mjfromga said:

I will say this... If I ever noticed one of my fish hiding, it was suspected as sick and most likely needed hospital. Even when I had tons of decorations, the fish never hid behind them. Tons of hiding places aren't necessary in tanks. You'll find that the fish seem happier in a minimalist type of tank. So this is of no concern IMO. 

Very good point. Luckily he seems active and curious of what's outside the tank.

23 hours ago, GoggleHat said:

Well alright then. But please don't treat me like a 5 year old, that's the impression I'm getting from both of you. I'm just looking for information and if I have received incorrect advice before, then you can easily explain it to me without being condescending... I genuinely appreciate the help, but I really hope you consider how that could make me feel.

Koko calls everyone hun. She meant no harm. It isn't intended to offend. If you don't wish to be called that, just say so, please don't accuse her of being condescending because she's only trying to help. 

If there's anything else you don't understand, take your time in explaining it and we will clarify it for you. At this point, everything should be pretty straightforward. 

4 hours ago, mjfromga said:

Koko calls everyone hun. She meant no harm. It isn't intended to offend. If you don't wish to be called that, just say so, please don't accuse her of being condescending because she's only trying to help. 

If there's anything else you don't understand, take your time in explaining it and we will clarify it for you. At this point, everything should be pretty straightforward. 

I understand, and she's clearly a nice and helpful person. It's just the usual problem with text, it can always be read differently than it was written.