Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Andreas

Is this mouth fungus

HI all,

I've recently got some goldfish that I keep in a 130 gallon outdoor tub. A week ago or so I had water quality problems due to using a nitrate removing filter (to reduce the nitrates coming out of my London tap water which are 30ppm) this caused a crash in PH which killed off some of my filter bacteria.

My fish have been a little lethargic then and keeping close to the surface. they all have a very slight whitish coat on them. One however seems to have something near his mouth, can you help with what it may be and how I can treat it?

https://youtu.be/wTXUK-KLJiY

• Test Results for the Following:
    • * Ammonia Level(Tank) 0.10
    • * Nitrite Level(Tank) 0
    • * Nitrate level(Tank) 40
    • * Ammonia Level(Tap) 0
    • * Nitrite Level(Tap) 0
    • * Nitrate level(Tap) 30
    • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.4
    • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.4
    • Other Required Info:
      • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API
      • * Water temperature? 25 celsius
      • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 130 G 2 months
      • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? large pond filter, no UV but I can add.
      • * How often do you change the water and how much? 50% every 3 days
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? 2 days, 90%
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size? 6, 3 inches
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? Prime
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? 3/4 times a day, hikari, soilent green, frozen bloodworms
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? no
  • * Any medications added to the tank? no
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank.Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. no previous history
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? whitish slime coating on the other fish, hanging near the surface, low level of activity.
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? all eating well

Welcome to Kokos and hope your Goldfish feel better.

Welcome to Kokos!  Please show us a shot of your whole system -- tub and filter.  Did you buy or build your filter?  If you bought it please link us to the source.  If you built it, please describe the construction and media.  

Also give info on that nitrate-removing filter.  Removing nitrate typically raises the pH, so the filter must do something else as well.  

Can you get me some still pictures in brighter light of both a closeup of the mouth and some pictures of the white cast you're speaking of?

Hi both and thank you for replying

Please find more photos of the mouth and the set up. 

https://goo.gl/photos/bmbgHW3v76bsevy38

The filter is one of These

The nitrate removing filter is Here

I have now treated the tank with API Melafix and Pimafix so those are the bubbles you see in the photo. I've also added the UV lamp to the filter, to reduce the amount of bacteria and other nasties in the water column. 

I think you should move the fish with the mouth infection to a separate container.  A plastic storage box works fine.  Add aquarium salt to 0.3% .  Take the fish out daily and gently swab the mouth with hydrogen peroxide.  What antibacterial medications can you get?

Hi shakako, Melafix is antibacterial and I've already started the treatment with it. Do you think I should try something else instead?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Bad news unfortunately. This fish is still alive but his fins have now started to look frayed (however the mouth looks better). Two other fish died in the meantime. Tested the water and the nitrite had reached 0.5 ppm. It looks like the treatment has affected the bacteria in the filter (AGAIN).

This fish is now in its own hospital tank, with 1% salt (will add 1% again tomorrow and the day after) and treated again with melafix. 

I've changed 90% of water in the main tank and my 3 remaining fish seem ok...for now.

Please add 1 teaspoon of salt for each 10 gallons of water in the main tank.  This will protect the fish from further damage from the high nitrite.  Please note: it does not lower the nitrite level, it just protects the fish.  When you do a water change, add 1 teaspoon of salt per 10 gallons of new water to maintain the level.

You have illustrated why we remove a sick fish to a hospital tank/tub, where we can use what ever medicine it needs without harming healthy fish or nitrifiers.

Melafix has little antibacterial activity.  It can help soothe minor surface lesions, but salt does that as well.

You can try these medications:

Seachem Paraguard

NT antiulcer and fin rot

How are you doing? 

Thank you for asking. Pretty disastrously bad. 3 out of 6 fish died (and not the one with mouth fungus). He is being treated with NT anti ulcer in a separate tank and the other 2 are in the main tank with salt. All alive for now.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Sorry for your loss. 

Dang Im so sorry :hug