Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
vear

Help please

I posted a different thread about one of my gf dying, but now i need help with my remaining one so I'm posting here. I've had her for 7 yrs, i don't eat to lose her.

• Test Results for the Following:
  • * Ammonia Level(Tank)   0
  • * Nitrite Level(Tank)    
  • * Nitrate level(Tank)   40 (pretty high considering i changed the water yesterday!!)
  • * Ammonia Level(Tap)   0
  • * Nitrite Level(Tap)   0
  • * Nitrate level(Tap)   between 0 and 5ppm
  • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) pH 8, KH 100-200, GH honestly i can't really tell. The tube was never orange but not quite green at first either. I dont have a chloramine test, but i have well water. Also a water softener.
  • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) pH 7.4, KH 100-200, GH same as tank, not sure.
  • Other Required Info:
  • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API drops
  • * Water temperature? usually 72F, today is about 76F bc it's warm out.
  • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 40B been running 3 yrs.
  • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? Fluval 406
  • * How often do you change the water and how much? ~50% once a week. A skip a week if im away. (I have my mom feed the fish while im gone).
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? 1 day, I changed about 70-80%
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size?  i had 3 - 2 goldies one bn pleco. The bn pleco is about 2-3". My goldie is big, I'm eyeballing 4.5 to 5" no tail. the other goldie was slightly smaller. He died this morning. So now i just have 1 goldie and 1 bn pleco in the tank.
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? None. I have well water
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? Omega one flakes once a day, fresh veggies now and again.
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? No. But one of my fish passed suddendly.
  • * Any medications added to the tank? No
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank.Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.  none
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? Yes. She has a lump on her tail. I've seen it b4 (used to just look like a small growth) but now it's red and looks like a wound.
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?  No. She's acting normal. The fish that died was floaty in the evening and passed away overnight. No wounds on that fish.

I'm attaching pictures. I set up another tank bc Im thinking of moving the bn pleco and salting the goldfish tank. Any ideas? Thank you in advance!!167f53f5bca13c4aefd9d44be2f6e265.jpg3bea113a697ac931ef87d66c1a4d1caf.jpg7959096c548b0cbe018f4e1f36402f23.jpgdebd5294c4a986c0e2a007ec45ab059f.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Edited by shakaho
easier to read

Hope she feels better.

I edited the format since the information (very well done) was so spread out it was hard to search through.  

You clearly take very good care of your fish.  I'd like to recommend that when you go away you do a 100% water change before leaving.  Unless your mom overfeeds (almost all fish sitters do) this should maintain water quality well.

I also found your nitrate level the day after a large water change concerning.  Unless the test wasn't accurate, the nitrate level before the test was well above safe levels.  Please repeat the test.  Make sure you read after 5 minutes, since this test gets darker with time.

The lesion on the tail looks weird.  I'd like to discuss this with the entire mod team. You might take the fish out and swab the lesion with hydrogen peroxide to see if it opens up.  

Edited by shakaho

I edited the format since the information (very well done) was so spread out it was hard to search through.  
You clearly take very good care of your fish.  I'd like to recommend that when you go away you do a 100% water change before leaving.  Unless your mom overfeeds (almost all fish sitters do) this should maintain water quality well.
I also found your nitrate level the day after a large water change concerning.  Unless the test wasn't accurate, the nitrate level before the test was well above safe levels.  Please repeat the test.  Make sure you read after 5 minutes, since this test gets darker with time.
The lesion on the tail looks weird.  I'd like to discuss this with the entire mod team. You might take the fish out and swab the lesion with hydrogen peroxide to see if it opens up.  

My apologies, i typed it up on my phone.

Thank you so much for your response. I'll be home in a couple of hours. I'll test again. What do u mean "opens up" ? [emoji33] sounds scary!

I feel like her dorsal fin has some of these too but they're very small (and not red) just like small bumps but it's been like that for a long time. I didnt think too much of it b4.

I'm just wondering whether she has an infection just under the surface that caused the redness.  By opening, I meant like a popped zit.  I don't think that will happen, but it would make  treatment easier.  Don't worry about white spots on the dorsal fin.  These are both common and harmless.

I'm just wondering whether she has an infection just under the surface that caused the redness.  By opening, I meant like a popped zit.  I don't think that will happen, but it would make  treatment easier.  Don't worry about white spots on the dorsal fin.  These are both common and harmless.

Ok thank you! The one on her tail started the same way as the ones on her dorsal fin. That's why i mention it.

It started as a small round white bump like what I see on the lead spine of the dorsal fin?

It started as a small round white bump like what I see on the lead spine of the dorsal fin?

Yes, but larger

Can you turn the tail over and let me have a look at the lump from the underside of the tail? 

Can you turn the tail over and let me have a look at the lump from the underside of the tail? 

It's not a breezy great pic bc she wouldn't let me grab her, but there's nothing under there. I got another pic from the top too.
4272d0a265a32a8943fb60044aaba339.jpged00ce053ff3198964c6e86f3afd3306.jpga8c374f6e0a76240482d0528af5fffdf.jpg

I repeated the nitrate test, definitely 40ppm. I retested the tap too and it's 0. I did about a 30%water change now (i had people over and it takes me too long to change more bc of temp differences with the water) I retested after the change and it still looks pretty red [emoji53]. I'll do a larger water change in the morning.

Okay so it doesn't penetrate or show up on the underside of the tail at all. I see some veining coming from where the lump is. We are thinking it's a tumor but it's hard to be sure. The lump is fairly firm, correct? 

Okay so it doesn't penetrate or show up on the underside of the tail at all. I see some veining coming from where the lump is. We are thinking it's a tumor but it's hard to be sure. The lump is fairly firm, correct? 

Definitely doesnt show up on the other side at all. Honestly i didnt really feel it. I can try to see how it feels.

Please do. 

Ok so it doesnt feel hard, it's soft actually. Im gonna do another water change now to get those nitrates down.

So she was bottom sitting a lot yesterday. She comes up for food. I'm getting worried. Could she be missing her tank mate? Or is she really sick?

Bottom sitting. Not tumor behavior. Fish with tumors should behave totally normally. Let me alert the others. Give me a moment. 

Bottom sitting. Not tumor behavior. Fish with tumors should behave totally normally. Let me alert the others. Give me a moment. 

She's been bottom sitting for two days now. In a corner looking all depressed.[emoji17] She still comes up amd splashes and acts normal when i feed her.

I havent gotten another fish because I'm worried about what could be wrong with her. But i did set up a 10gallon, i can quarantine in there and see how it goes. What so you think? I also don't know if i get a small goldie if she'll pick on him...?

I'm wondering if she is feeling off because of the high nitrates, some fish are particularly sensitive to nitrates. A tumor shouldn't affect her behaviour.

It is strange that your nitrates jump up so quickly, how often do you clean your filter?

Also, how do your clean your filter?

I do not think the high nitrate caused the problems, but we should find out why you had so much.  Please check nitrate in the tank before a water change and also check the nitrate in the tap water at each water change for a few weeks.  Use a timer to make sure you shake for the full times in the instructions.  High nitrate can occur in well water, particularly when you have a lot of water going into the ground from snow thaws and rain.  I don't know what part of NY you live in, so I can't check your weather.  

Goldfish often display distress at losing a tank mate, so that could explain the bottom sitting.

I think the tail lump started from a scrape from something in the tank.  Fins often get beat up, and thickened white patches, which I think of as scars, form at the site of the injury.  These cause no problems to the fish.  

I have another possible explanation for the change in the tail lesion.  You have/had a pleco in there.  I see round, red sores on the lump, like a small pleco started feeding on the slime coat there and just kept rasping away until it made a sore.  This might have become infected.  

I'm wondering if she is feeling off because of the high nitrates, some fish are particularly sensitive to nitrates. A tumor shouldn't affect her behaviour.

It is strange that your nitrates jump up so quickly, how often do you clean your filter?

My filter was pretty gunky, i felt bad because i realized i was slacking. I cleaned it last week i use my hose outside to clean everything.

Also, how do your clean your filter?
I do not think the high nitrate caused the problems, but we should find out why you had so much.  Please check nitrate in the tank before a water change and also check the nitrate in the tap water at each water change for a few weeks.  Use a timer to make sure you shake for the full times in the instructions.  High nitrate can occur in well water, particularly when you have a lot of water going into the ground from snow thaws and rain.  I don't know what part of NY you live in, so I can't check your weather.  
Goldfish often display distress at losing a tank mate, so that could explain the bottom sitting.
I think the tail lump started from a scrape from something in the tank.  Fins often get beat up, and thickened white patches, which I think of as scars, form at the site of the injury.  These cause no problems to the fish.  
I have another possible explanation for the change in the tail lesion.  You have/had a pleco in there.  I see round, red sores on the lump, like a small pleco started feeding on the slime coat there and just kept rasping away until it made a sore.  This might have become infected.  

I have been doing water changes everyday and the nitrates have come down.
As i answered above, i hadn't cleaned my filter in a while. I feel petty dumb but that's probably why the nitrates were so high.
I've been checking the tap water every time this week before a water change just in case.

About the lesion, i did think maybe she scraped herself. She was squeezing into tight spots btwn the drift wood to try to put herself next to my other fish before he died. And i only noticed the red the day after.

About the pleco, he's out of the tank for now. He's a bristle nose, I've never had a problem with him bothering the goldies but anything is possible. I got a bn pleco specifically so he wouldn't hurt my fish.

She's still sitting in a corner now.

Should i salt the tank for the tail? Or should i just keep the water super clean?

Just keep the water clean for now.

The day before my water change I take the filter off (HOB) and clean out the filter floss and dump the water out of the filter. Give it a good scrubbing. Then I will change the water the next day. Do only one filter at a time, never both filters at the same time :)