Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
vear

I lost a goldfish :(

Hello everybody. I post here sporadically because life gets in the way but I do read and search the forums whenever I have questions. My post is long, but you're the only ones who'll understand! Everyone else is like... "oh, your fish died? ok whatever".

About 3 yrs ago I convinced my dad to let me take his goldfish (white oranda with an orange head). He was keeping it in a 10gallon (way too small) and his roommate ( a common pleco :yikes) was sucking on his scales. He'd had him for about 2 yrs already. So anyway, I took him in and put him in my 40 gal breeder with my goldie. They got along well so I was happy.

Yesterday evening I came home and he was almost upside down but still swimming around :fishtank:- my 3 yr old (human daughter) panicked and started crying but I reassured her that he was just a little sick and would be fine (big mistake! :no:) She then yells "no he won't be fine!!!". Ughh, I thought it was his swim bladder and figured he'd get better, he had been fine the day before (I should have known better, he's never had swimbladder issues before!). I changed the water in the tank just in case, put some plants together so he could rest on them and didn't feed them in case it was constipation. My other goldie would go up to him and nudge him gently, it was like she was trying to help him stay up. She then wedged herself right next to the sick fish and stayed right there with him, it was so sad :cry. I've never seen fish do this, I almost cried, but then again I told myself he'd be ok.

This morning I went to check on him and he wasn't moving *sigh*. He was gone. I buried him in my backyard :rip:.

He was around 5 yrs old, what could have been wrong?? old age? is 5 even old?? he had no wounds, no obvious infections or anything that I could see. I admit I didn't check the water parameters, my kit is old so I don't trust it, but I did a water change right away just in case. Should I treat the tank with something? salt? I don't want anything to happen to my other goldie, I've had her for ~7 years! I also have a little bristlenose pleco in the tank.

I forgot to add, I'd like to get her a companion (she looks soo sad!!) but have to research quarantining etc. so that i'm ready. Plus I don't know if getting a little goldfish would be an issue or if I should get a grown one...?

Edited by vear

Please copy & paste the following form and fill it out to the best of your ability when requesting help for Goldfish Problems.  If copy and paste doesn't work for you, please quote this post.

• Test Results for the Following:
    • * Ammonia Level(Tank)
    • * Nitrite Level(Tank)
    • * Nitrate level(Tank)
    • * Ammonia Level(Tap)
    • * Nitrite Level(Tap)
    • * Nitrate level(Tap)
    • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
    • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
    • Other Required Info:
      • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?
      • * Water temperature?
      • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?
      • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)?
      • * How often do you change the water and how much?
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change?
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size?
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners?
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often?
  • * Any new fish added to the tank?
  • * Any medications added to the tank?
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank.Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?

Will update levels later. I have to buy a kit today after work my old kit expired!

• * Ammonia Level(Tank) 
  • * Nitrite Level(Tank)
  • * Nitrate level(Tank)
  • * Ammonia Level(Tap)
  • * Nitrite Level(Tap)
  • * Nitrate level(Tap)
  • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
  • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
  • Other Required Info:
    • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? will buy drops today
    • * Water temperature? 72F
    • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 40gallon breeder, has been running for 3 yrs
    • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? - fluval (406 I believe)
    • * How often do you change the water and how much? once a week, about 50%, except when I go on vacation I skip a week.
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? last night, I probably changed 80%, but did it slowly so the water temp wouldn't fluctuate (I have well water and it's cold)
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size? 3 originally, now 2 :(. 1 small bristle nose pleco, maybe 3inches, 2 fancy goldfish, one of which died this morning, full size... pretty big!, idk the actual size I haven't measured them.
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? none, our water is not chlorinated.
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? Mostly Omega One flakes. I also give them veggies now and again (such as lettuce, cucumber). The bn pleco gets algae waffers.
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? no
  • * Any medications added to the tank? no
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank.Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. none. Fish was floaty last night, passed this morning. I noticed no symptoms before that.
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? none
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? last night was upside down and/or sideways but still swimming.

I just wanted to say that I'm so sorry for your loss. I know other people don't understand how fish are real pets that are really important to us. I hope you get the answers you need.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

IM very sorry for your loss.

Thank you! just got the test kit, I'm testing the water.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

I've lost 6 fish recently. A predator is destroying them. I feel your pain. So sorry. 

I've lost 6 fish recently. A predator is destroying them. I feel your pain. So sorry. 

Oh no I'm so sorry! Thank you.

I started a separate thread to figure out the problem with my tank. Thank you!

I went through that several times...that's the worst. Losing a fish anyway is tough. Predators can clean u out of your precious ones...

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk