Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
exoskeletron

sick fish - tried everything - ready to give up :(

10 minutes ago, exoskeletron said:

Ok fabulous! I have amazon prime so I'll get the fungus cure powder tomorrow and I'll start treatment right away. I would be absolutely elated if it worked! This has been such a nightmare. I was so excited when I got the fish because I've always loved goldfish and haven't been able to afford a big enough tank until recently. Then I get these gorgeous fish and within a month one of them is clearly struggling with a really unsightly infection. And then    EVERYTHING   I try is ineffective. What a crappy, helpless feeling. 

Anyway, I hope I didn't hurt MJ's feelings. I just have really had it with these type of people on forums who seem to just be there to put people in their place and enforce rules. It's so unkind and unhelpful. Maybe I misunderstood her but the comments seemed rude and ego driven to me.  But I don't know her and I'm sure she's actually a cool woman. It's hard to know anyone's real motivations over the internet. 

No not ego driven. Goldfish driven. People who are really pationate about goldfish can seem like they are ego driven when all they want is for you fish to be happy :) I know that some forums are like what you said but we Koko nuts aren't that way. We in fact want is for you to enjoy your fish and for them to be happy and healthy. We are all volunteers here and I myself have a 4 year old and try to manage this site. I hope we can all move on and be nice to each other :) 

1 hour ago, exoskeletron said:

Hey Sharon, thanks for the reply! I really appreciate it.  Wow, 50% water changes each week, that does sound like overkill, but I'll give it a try since you suggested it. I'm confused though. If my ammonia and nitrites are 0 and my nitrates are pretty close to 0....what is the point of doing dramatically larger water changes? I'm not trying to be annoying here, but I'm a busy mom with a full time job and I didn't realize the goldfish would require a 40 gallon tank and huge water changes each week. I'll do it if you think that's what is needed to help my fish, but again, water quality is pretty much pristine, so why do I need to do big water changes. I'm not questioning your judgement, I just would like an explanation instead of directives. 

To answer your questions, I have a bare bottom tank, no substrate. I clean the filter media at least once a month and I do so by removing the media and then swishing it around and squeezing it vigorously inside the water I just removed from the tank (during a water change). If the media still looks really brown and dirty afterwards I throw it away and replace with new media, but I only do that with one piece at a time, not all the media at once obviously. 

I would LOVE more responses and second opinions. Are you guys seriously all changing 50% of your water each week? What about people with 100 gallon tanks? you're swapping out 50 gallons every week?!

I find it disappointing that I've gotten almost no responses and that no one has mentioned any treatments. :(   This is the fifth fish forum I've gone to for help and no one has been able to offer any advice beyond referencing basic goldfish caresheets. Is there seriously no one that has any advice that can help me? :( :(:( 

Ammonia and nitrite will be zero in any established tank.  We have to check these because they are deadly poisonous at very low concentrations.  Many more substances that we do not normally test for, like total dissolved solids, dissolved organic compounds make the difference between healthy and polluted water.  If you eat junk food, breathe polluted air and have carcinogens in your water, you may feel good and you won't drop dead from the poisons, but this will slowly affect your health.  

Yes,  people here do change at least 50% of their tank water, many change 80% or more.  I have a total of about 1000 gallons of ponds, and I change about 100 gallons of water a day.  Why?  Goldfish get big, like a pound or more at maturity, pollute water rapidly, and  we prefer to avoid illness rather than medicating sick fish.    You may not have the time to maintain a goldfish tank at this stage of your life.  A tank of small tropicals  might be more appropriate for you.

To keep filters clean and functioning optimally, one can clean them with every water change.  Then you just remove the medium, dump the filthy water from the filter and  rinse the filter medium.  It takes about 5 minutes.  

7 minutes ago, mjfromga said:

I just find it interesting how I gave you the idea that actually got you the help you sought and you called me all that nonsense in that message. Anyway I'm done. I won't argue here. It's a waste of time. Hopefully your fish gets better and you learn to be thankful when people try to help rather than rude. Have a nice evening. 

Ok lets be done with that now. we're here to talk about fish, specifically fish disease

5 minutes ago, shakaho said:

Ammonia and nitrite will be zero in any established tank.  We have to check these because they are deadly poisonous at very low concentrations.  Many more substances that we do not normally test for, like total dissolved solids, dissolved organic compounds make the difference between healthy and polluted water.  If you eat junk food, breathe polluted air and have carcinogens in your water, you may feel good and you won't drop dead from the poisons, but this will slowly affect your health.  

Yes,  people here do change at least 50% of their tank water, many change 80% or more.  I have a total of about 1000 gallons of ponds, and I change about 100 gallons of water a day.  Why?  Goldfish get big, like a pound or more at maturity, pollute water rapidly, and  we prefer to avoid illness rather than medicating sick fish.    You may not have the time to maintain a goldfish tank at this stage of your life.  A tank of small tropicals  might be more appropriate for you.

To keep filters clean and functioning optimally, one can clean them with every water change.  Then you just remove the medium, dump the filthy water from the filter and  rinse the filter medium.  It takes about 5 minutes.  

That does make sense. Wow 100 gallons a day is a lot of gallons. You obviously are a very dedicated fish mom! I can definitely handle 50% weekly water changes, I just didn't realize people were doing that. Indeed the tropical fish tanks I've had have been cake compared to the goldies.

Goldfish and Salt water tanks are hard fish to deal with. I have had both. Tropicals I find much easier than either on of those :) 

Hi everybody, I have an unfortunate update :( After doing the API Fungus Cure treatment the white spots have not diminished at all and appear slightly worse :-/     So that didn't work. I can rule out fungus.

Now I also have the API Furan-2 medication, which is antibacterial. It sounds like it will wipe out my filter, but I'll remove some of the media before doing the treatment. 

Any thoughts about the fungus cure not working? Ideas how to proceed? I'm open to anything.

I do have a video you can look at but the quality sucks, sorry. But you can maybe see in the video that the ranchu has white spots up her tail fins as well as behind her head and on each side of her body. 

https://vimeo.com/221361637

Edited by exoskeletron
add link

The only suggest I can give you right now since it seem to help ... I would salt the main tank. I would raise them to .1% then in 24 hours raise it to .2% then to .3% let them be in that for a week and see how they are. 

https://vimeo.com/221684749   there's another short video, where you can see the pattern of the spots on her tail fins

I will try the salt. You're right, that has been the only thing to affect the infection. But if 1 tbsp/gallon didn't wipe out the infection I know salt won't be a permanent fix

11 hours ago, exoskeletron said:

https://vimeo.com/221684749   there's another short video, where you can see the pattern of the spots on her tail fins

I will try the salt. You're right, that has been the only thing to affect the infection. But if 1 tbsp/gallon didn't wipe out the infection I know salt won't be a permanent fix

What kind of salt are you using hun. Reason Im asking is I found it much easier to weigh out the salt to put in the tank. some salts are big in size while others are very crushed up. 

What I would like you to do is get the salt to .3%. i know you used salt before and it kept  it at bay but I would like you to go to the .3% so we are at the higher end of the salt.

The other advice I could give you is to make sure the walls and floor of the tank is wiped off. I have seen before fish that have been feed overly in foods and gel foods get a brown gunk in the tank, which can make sores on the fish. So Salt and not feeding them Gel food and also if you can. I only feed mine once a day. They have plenty of algae to eat and my moss balls.