DieselPlower

I've got eggs! Tons of eggs! Koi eggs!

29 posts in this topic

I was gone for the weekend but I could see on my CCTV system that the join were spawning. I had just thrown in a couple large water hyacinth and wonder if that set them off. Here's a few pics. I decided to remove one piece of hyacinth and try my luck in a 110 or 150 gallon tub, forget which size. The other piece will stay in the pond where the fish will fend for themselves. I will be putting a small water pump in the filter housing shown to hopefully keep it from sucking up fish. I will use the filter shown with seeded biomedia in it. Will probably also throw in an air pump. Not doing all that just yet though. Will wait till the fish can handle the flow. Also tested my water when I got home. From left to right in person pH looks 8.2, ammonia .25, nitrite 0, nitrate 0. 8 koi in approximately 1800 gallons.

65238f515344bc6879967fd167cf6672.jpg3b52c3455276bd85ddce4378b5364097.jpg194883d8bceb634d5c9719f89f9e544a.jpg1d755220bbb734b6030adc2c47ef24bc.jpgd456fbc48d93f8b4b62e2df84f21901a.jpg4c15c0289211114909c7c9c59d2429d4.jpg9a90049a2777ce1354d92fa7336177a9.jpge0f8bc500240141767e8dba1f7feac25.jpg

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Awesome!

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Your pond is looking really nice now DP. Im wondering how many Koi babies will make it. Is there goldfish in there too, if so do you think they helped with the spawn? 

I have 8 koi in the pond now and no goldfish. I think a bunch will make it because there are lots of places for them to hide. I will probably have too many... Im so excited lol!

3 hours ago, DieselPlower said:

I have 8 koi in the pond now and no goldfish. I think a bunch will make it because there are lots of places for them to hide. I will probably have too many... Im so excited lol!

This is cool. I mean look at all those eggs :yikes and the mess they made :rofl 

It was a mess! And the smell!!!!!

23 minutes ago, DieselPlower said:

It was a mess! And the smell!!!!!

:yikes

Congrats!!!  You better head north and start digging my pond so you have somewhere to put all those babies!! :rofl3

That's great!  Can't wait to see some babies :)

Congrats!!!  You better head north and start digging my pond so you have somewhere to put all those babies!! :rofl3

Haha well... I do have a spare 20x20 liner laying around.

1 hour ago, DieselPlower said:

Haha well... I do have a spare 20x20 liner laying around.

That certainly seems big enough . . . :lol  :saywhat 

17 hours ago, fantailfan1 said:

I want a video if that happens :teehee 

There are a lot of white moldy eggs grrrr

1 hour ago, DieselPlower said:

There are a lot of white moldy eggs grrrr

Oh no! :( 

Aw I hate the white moldy eggs! I hope a good portion of them hatch and thrive, I wanna see babies!

How are they doing, Jason? :idont

I have fry. A lot of them. Anyone have thoughts on when to add air to this tub? I have cycled biomedia floating in it.f5b7e43a97f7f4480326b271e08a5b24.jpg

Previous pic didn't seem to work?a60698e457b193e2e647694a8f468586.jpg

Yay fry :D

Awesome DP. I haven't raised fry in a tub, maybe Sharon or Fantailfan would know :) 

Get the water down to 3-4 inches and you won't need air.although it never hurts.  Put them in a couple of containers like this and you will even be able to see them.  I used bucket-to-bucket water changes every other day until our city water became toxic (excess TTHM) to baby fish.  After I realized what was happening, I just put the babies in a duckweed tub and don't change their water much at all.

The koi people tell me that koi won't eat baby koi.  Probably the best way to keep the babies would be in a floating screen box in the pond.

Thanks Sharon. I have a couple containers like that already! It would be nice to see them better than I can in the large tub. I think I'll leave some in the tub and put some in a container like suggested and keep that one inside. How do you transfer the fish from one tub to the other without injuring them?

Ok I'm seeing probably a good 300 fry maybe more

A small net works fine.  You can try to scoop them out in a container, but it's not easy.

Congrats Jason!  That's a LOT of fry . . . :thud

Pics of them when you get a chance :D