Fish Of Gold

Help with starting cycle after having to nuke my tank

15 posts in this topic

Ok, to say it nicely, I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed :blush: and I'm probably the main reason why they published all of the how-to books titled "An idiots guide to-------(fill in the blank) :stupid::crazy: Anyway for those who don't know, 3 of my goldfish have been treated in quarantine for the past 2 weeks, and during that time I bleached their 40B main tank and equipment to nuke it. :blowup:  Well, it seems the goldfish have a virus and not a bacterial illness so they can't be cured :( My fiancé was against contaminating the main tank again after nuking it, but I convinced him that 3 goldfish can not continue to live in a 10 gallon QT tank forever so I want to recycle their main tank and need someone brave enough and have enough patients to walk a dunce like me thru the cycle process and daily water testing results. :flex: I did read the article here on how to do a fishless cycle :tammy: but still would be more comfortable if I get some help as well. I don't think the fish could handle a fish-in cycle after reading about how stressful that can be to fish. :blink:

Ok so I bought brand new CaribSea sand and new Aqua Clear sponges for their AQ 70 filters on the 40B. I'm going to order a little more ceramic filter media to add later because I only have 1 mesh bag left. I do have 1 goldfish tank left that has never had any issues yet or any sick fish, that is Wishing Star's 20 gallon tank. Wish has an AC mini (20?) and AC 30 so I was thinking of taking the filter media bag out of the bigger filter to put in the 40B's AC 70. Should I split the bag between the two AC 70s or just add it to one of the 70s? :hummm How much sooner can the 40B be cycled with Wish's filter media added?

So who is up for a challenge to help me out please? :help: :peeka:hide:

Thank you! :) :thanks

Take the cycled media bag from one of Wish's filters replace it with new media, and put it in one of the new filters in the 40B.  

Move ONE of the fish from the ten gallon to the 40 gallon.

Cut the amount you usually feed in half.

Usually, the population of nitrifiers in an established tank is about half-starved.  They survive, but don't get enough ammonia/nitrite to grow and divide.  As a result, you can take away half of Wish's nitrifiers, and those that remain will eat more and multiply.  Usually you don't even get a "cycle bump" but you should still test daily.

Likewise with one lightly fed fish in the 40B with a seeded filter, you may never see ammonia or nitrite.  Keep testing, and if after a week you have no ammonia and no nitrite, add a second fish.

On ‎5‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 9:05 PM, shakaho said:

Take the cycled media bag from one of Wish's filters replace it with new media, and put it in one of the new filters in the 40B.  

Move ONE of the fish from the ten gallon to the 40 gallon.

Cut the amount you usually feed in half.

Usually, the population of nitrifiers in an established tank is about half-starved.  They survive, but don't get enough ammonia/nitrite to grow and divide.  As a result, you can take away half of Wish's nitrifiers, and those that remain will eat more and multiply.  Usually you don't even get a "cycle bump" but you should still test daily.

Likewise with one lightly fed fish in the 40B with a seeded filter, you may never see ammonia or nitrite.  Keep testing, and if after a week you have no ammonia and no nitrite, add a second fish.

I've had back problems again that are ongoing so I didn't get the tank set up until a few days ago. I added the ceramic media from the AC 30 to the AC 70, and replaced with new media in the AC 30. I added the rest of the ceramic media that I had to one of the AC 70 and mixed in the used media. In the 2nd AC 70 I just have a sponge until my new ceramic media arrives in the mail which may be by tomorrow.

Yesterday I added one goldfish to the 40B tank, which was Popsicle because he is the one showing no signs of sickness so he is the healthiest of the 3. Today at 24 hours later, I checked the Ammonia and Nitrite and both are zero. I fed Popsicle half of his usual portion of pellets.

Are Ammonia and Nitrite the only things that I need to check right now daily?

Day 1~

Ammonia 0

Nitrite~ 0

Yes.  As long a ammonia and nitrite remain zero your tank is doing fine.

How's everything going Amy?

31 minutes ago, DawnMichele said:

How's everything going Amy?

Ok I think. Popsicle is doing good back in the 40, but looks like it has 0.25 of ammonia, so not sure what to do about that, but there is no Nitrites.

In the QT tank Creamsicle still lays on the bottom but is constantly active and still has a great appetite. Also still in QT is Dreamsicle who now has a red area near the end of his tail, its not streaking, but like patchy red, poor fishy. Not sure if anything can be done for that or not.

Thanks for your concern, I appreciate it :) 

On 6/9/2017 at 7:23 PM, Fish Of Gold said:

Ok I think. Popsicle is doing good back in the 40, but looks like it has 0.25 of ammonia, so not sure what to do about that, but there is no Nitrites.

In the QT tank Creamsicle still lays on the bottom but is constantly active and still has a great appetite. Also still in QT is Dreamsicle who now has a red area near the end of his tail, its not streaking, but like patchy red, poor fishy. Not sure if anything can be done for that or not.

Thanks for your concern, I appreciate it :) 

Your welcome.  :)

Are you using Seachem Prime water conditioner?  If not, please get some.  It will protect your fish from up to 1 ppm ammonia.

1 hour ago, shakaho said:

Are you using Seachem Prime water conditioner?  If not, please get some.  It will protect your fish from up to 1 ppm ammonia.

Yes I have Prime, I add it at water changes once a week.

Add Prime every two days to protect against ammonia.  You can stop this when ammonia consistently reads zero.

On ‎6‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 7:11 AM, shakaho said:

Add Prime every two days to protect against ammonia.  You can stop this when ammonia consistently reads zero.

Thank you for the advice :) I'll do that.

How are you doing hun?

The Ammonia and Nitrite tests have both been consistently at 0 for one week so far without having to add Prime. Is it OK to add another goldfish now from the QT tank?

13 minutes ago, Fish Of Gold said:

The Ammonia and Nitrite tests have both been consistently at 0 for one week so far without having to add Prime. Is it OK to add another goldfish now from the QT tank?

I would say yes hun. Have you checked the Ph from the tank and tap hun? Just to make sure :) 

Yes, but lower the amount you feed for the first week and keep testing.