Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Goldfishbeginner

fish are chasing like crazy!

luv these fish so much.  That energy!  :) 

there was a problem with my water parameters recently tho.. I had a nasty nitrite spike.. im using some seachem prime to fix it until my water cycle gets back to normal parameters.

Edited by Goldfishbeginner

Dang now that is Breeding :lol 

Is  a full moon coming I wonder :) 

20 hours ago, Goldfishbeginner said:

there was a problem with my water parameters recently tho.. I had a nasty nitrite spike.. im using some seachem prime to fix it until my water cycle gets back to normal parameters.

Add a teaspoon of salt for each ten gallons of water.  This will protect the fish from nitrite poisoning.much more effectively than just Prime.

1 hour ago, shakaho said:

Add a teaspoon of salt for each ten gallons of water.  This will protect the fish from nitrite poisoning.much more effectively than just Prime.

is this good to do while using prime?    

I also gave the tank a squirt from a bottle from some leftover tetra safe start I had on hand.    Actually,  I've been thinking a lot about the nitrite spike.  I think it happened because I wasn't cautious enough when handling the baskets containing the bio media in my canister filter.  I basically gave the baskets a pretty good spray with cold tap water when I was cleaning the filter and replacing the poly filter floss.   I guess spraying those like that wasn't a good idea.  

It appears the nitrates are lowing but Ive been doing pretty big water changes as well as the dose of prime daily.  Well,  Ive never had the cycle get out of whack before like this.   this tank has only been going for about 5 months.   

Yes, salt is fine with Prime.  Prime will only protect the fish from about 1ppm nitrite.  Salt, at least 10 times that.  

11 hours ago, Goldfishbeginner said:

is this good to do while using prime?    

I also gave the tank a squirt from a bottle from some leftover tetra safe start I had on hand.    Actually,  I've been thinking a lot about the nitrite spike.  I think it happened because I wasn't cautious enough when handling the baskets containing the bio media in my canister filter.  I basically gave the baskets a pretty good spray with cold tap water when I was cleaning the filter and replacing the poly filter floss.   I guess spraying those like that wasn't a good idea.  

It appears the nitrates are lowing but Ive been doing pretty big water changes as well as the dose of prime daily.  Well,  Ive never had the cycle get out of whack before like this.   this tank has only been going for about 5 months.   

Did you have a day where the tank looked kinda cloudy? If so they might have spawned in there and it can make your water quality get all out of wack :( 

If you have only one filter and you do that Yup you can get a cycle bump that way cause you washed off the Bio bugs. :o If you have two filters you can do it that way but only one filter at a time and some times you can get a mother cycle bump. Its not good to clean filter floss or any Filter media in straight tap water. 

You can use salt and Prime together at anytime it won't harm a thing. :) 

Did you have a day where the tank looked kinda cloudy? If so they might have spawned in there and it can make your water quality get all out of wack  
If you have only one filter and you do that Yup you can get a cycle bump that way cause you washed off the Bio bugs.  If you have two filters you can do it that way but only one filter at a time and some times you can get a mother cycle bump. Its not good to clean filter floss or any Filter media in straight tap water. 
You can use salt and Prime together at anytime it won't harm a thing.  

Youknow, now that I think of it, the water did get very cloudy the day they were trashing around in there like crazy. I figured they has just stirred up lots of debris but I am running some carbon in there and thought it was odd to that it didn't clear up again.
I've seen this behavior in them when the water parameters we're normal as well. Sometimes there's a lot of activity over night.

Anyway, we're still womting through that nititre bump. Yikes. I'll definitely change the way I clean the filter.

I have some salt. This was one of the things the things that previous owner of the tank included.

I also, have this stress coat jazz with aloe. I probably won't mess with that, because I'm not trying to do too much with adding things to the water.. but I have it in my fishy medicine cabinet
504f3a819af80a41c276f768736e8a61.jpga9778a090bcd4e1caf3c65c93de19755.jpgc5c0b42abceb0c16afa70641164c8a60.jpgf9f8f25f11831f4fcf9737e9d1e11c7a.jpg

yeah I don't really like the stress coat, some fish just don't like it :( 

On 5/30/2017 at 10:18 AM, koko said:

yeah I don't really like the stress coat, some fish just don't like it :( 

right, Ive been wondering about that one.  I wonder if that stuff is like an aquarium snake oil product. 

it seems hard to gauge how effective it would be.    I dont think I'll be using it.  

I ended up getting some fry as a result from the spawning.  Later on I noticed those plastic plants were covered in eggs!  So I took em out and put into a different tank.  

Now I have these little buggers swimming around in a half full 20 gallon.    I think there's about 15 or so.   I probably would have had a lot more had I used some kind of proper egg laying media..  but, 15 is not bad for an unintentional goldfish spawn right? 

5 hours ago, Goldfishbeginner said:

I ended up getting some fry as a result from the spawning.  Later on I noticed those plastic plants were covered in eggs!  So I took em out and put into a different tank.  

Now I have these little buggers swimming around in a half full 20 gallon.    I think there's about 15 or so.   I probably would have had a lot more had I used some kind of proper egg laying media..  but, 15 is not bad for an unintentional goldfish spawn right? 

That is awesome. I had a spawn like that too once and got about 10 so you did good :) If you need help start a thread in breeding and We will try and help you along :) 

Congrats on the egg's!!!

Ooh yay eggs! Congrats :D

Yup. Here's some pictures.
This first picture is day one. They were still hanging on the sides.
The last picture is day four. They're free swimming and chowing down of some fry scramble eggs.

be83d0c0045851476abed7bd570710e9.jpg385ff792e313750205b880ffe5fdb6dd.jpgb930d78eb212253c575c72f639c18492.jpgf9fe5516ca4ece5aacff9e90c22dd10b.jpg

This is the makeshift fry tank.
One thing I'm wondering is if I have to be concerned about all the uneaten food and debris on the bottom. I've already tried cleaning it with a turkey baster with limited success..

Also, just got hikari first bites in the mail. Did I get the right stuff? It says tropical fish on the pack.

042cc703c04f4cc3e33c97fd221f6706.jpg889bdb0cb711e320336109663855182c.jpg3dcbdef6123eec63c1c5442e082b24f4.jpg

Sent from my FRD-L04 using Tapatalk

Oh excuse me Koko. Maybe I should have started a new thread in the breeding section before posting again here.

Sent from my FRD-L04 using Tapatalk

Hikari first bites is fine :D Live baby brine shrimp are great too. They are so cute!

Edited by FishyMandy

^ OK thank you for the info and compliment :).  Im really psyched about these little guys.    I guess I'll see how I do with these fry.  Honestly I'll be happy if any of them survive.  I do know they they are just fragile little animals at this stage.   

Also, sorry about the broken video link guys..  I decided to edit the video and upload again.  here is a working link.  

Its like she has candy and they all want it :rofl 

well, ive been testing everyday since I the nitrite spike and was very happy to see the cycle is back!  I like your suggestion about having a backup filter koko.  I may run a small canister with just bio balls to help reduce the chance of another cycle crash.  it was kinda a bummer worrying about the fish getting nitrite poisoning.  

WOW look at them all :thumbs:

You can if you want to :) 

Oh and you got your self a Medal now :teehee 

2 hours ago, koko said:

WOW look at them all :thumbs:

You can if you want to :) 

Oh and you got your self a Medal now :teehee 

:redbanana: